PDA

View Full Version : Phantom Punch

Afro
04-28-2007, 03:55 PM
I think this should be discussed, since we did discuss Meldrick Taylor already why not some more controversy in Boxing?

What do you guys think? was it a Phantom Punch or was it legit?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16fhhpDuDx0

Hate to say it, but the way Liston fell down.. the referee that was in the match, gotta believe it was fake although I think it doesnt really matter since Ali beat him the first time, and Liston was always involved with crime if he wants to throw a fight so be it, if Ali didnt beat him the first time this would of been whack though.

Punk Ass
04-28-2007, 04:25 PM
It wasn't fake. That's what everybody who hated Ali at the time wanted to believe, because he talked so much trash. Not only that but Liston was the equivalent of Mike Tyson before the douglas fight. It was pretty much unthinkable that this loud mouthed, cocky, lil kid could beat a guy who KOed everbody. Liston couldn't be beaten at the time, so people were just looking for an excuse.

BTW, I don;t think Liston was as good as a prime Tyson.

Punk Ass
04-28-2007, 04:38 PM
Another thing is, I saw that KO from many angles before and when you really look at it, you can see it was a hard punch. People viewing that fight live could barely see the punch because it was so fast, so that helped to influence people. Anywayz, look at the KO from another angle and you will see Liston's head spin from the velocity.

Punk Ass
04-28-2007, 04:38 PM
Another thing is, I saw that KO from many angles before and when you really look at it, you can see it was a hard punch. People viewing that fight live could barely see the punch because it was so fast, so that helped to influence people. Anywayz, look at the KO from another angle and you will see Liston's head spin from the velocity.

Salvy_Mic
04-28-2007, 06:57 PM
It looked like a real punch to me. Like harlemhustla, I've also seen the punch from different angles, and it definitely looks like a legit KO punch. Liston never saw it coming, and the fact that he was coming inside on Ali and got countered makes the punch have even more effect. Ali's handspeed was godly, it doesn't surprise me at all that a lot people didn't see the punch, especially from the angle it's usually shown from.

But hey, you wanna talk about a real phantom punch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zsLXOc65dw

Courtesy of one Luisito Espinosa, former bantamweight and featherweight champion, who is now reportedly working at a Costco in San Francisco.

Dork8503
04-28-2007, 09:31 PM

Right on buddy. I think the punch was real. Like he said people just did not like Ali at the time and wanted to believe that the fight was set up. What about the cheating Liston did in the first fight. i know in the movie Ali it showed him put some stuff on his glove but if you also look it up, they talk about how ali was blinded for a round. Liston got knocked out and he is a cheat.

Punk Ass
04-28-2007, 10:03 PM
But hey, you wanna talk about a real phantom punch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zsLXOc65dw

Courtesy of one Luisito Espinosa, former bantamweight and featherweight champion, who is now reportedly working at a Costco in San Francisco.

Wowww!!! :blink: He must have used Dim mak or something because that was the latest reaction to a punch that didn't happen I ever saw!

Dork8503
04-28-2007, 10:28 PM
what the fuck was that
:ahh:

Afro
04-28-2007, 10:50 PM
Wow, I would hate to box that guy

Severn
04-30-2007, 04:31 AM
From what I remember seeing on an ESPN special, that Sonny told a reporter off the record that he stayed down because he was afraid. Not of Ali physically but afraid because he felt that Ali was crazy. Which was the only thing Sonny happened to be afraid of. True or not that's what the dude said.

I wonder if Spike Lee is ever going to get to make that Liston bio-flick he's been talking about for the past 15 years.