PDA

View Full Version : Who else hates the REP Scoring???

ronin
05-03-2007, 12:48 AM
I unserstand why it was implemented.

But it seems like its become a popularity contest, or a tool to get someone back for having a dissenting point of view.

I been called a troll twice getting bad reps, now I been here for 1 year and visit this forum daily and never post at SherDg I am very loyal and don't consider myself a troll, but seems any newbie can join and if they don't like what your opinion is however you present it they can give you bad reps.

It seems the Rep system had made more people keep quiet about there opinions cause they don't want bad reps, it has restricted me many times i can't say what fell cause I think I might get Bad Reps,so I just say nothing.

And I know I will probably get bad reps by for saying this, but I just like to know other members thoughts.

--

Tick
05-03-2007, 12:52 AM
People actually care about rep? If people give me bad rep all I ask is that they add a humorous comment to entertain me with it!

BigBanda
05-03-2007, 12:52 AM
Honestly I could care less about the rep system but while its here I do not mind recieving them but not gonna care if i dont either. Now if i start getting neg reps for no valid reason that is just stupid but sill wont lose any sleep over it.

Marlo Black
05-03-2007, 12:54 AM

But it seems like its become a popularity contest, or a tool to get someone back for having a dissenting point of view.

I been called a troll twice getting bad reps, now I been here for 1 year and visit this forum daily and never post at SherDg I am very loyal and don't consider myself a troll, but seems any newbie can join and if they don't like what your opinion is however you present it they can give you bad reps.

It seems the Rep system had made more people keep quiet about there opinions cause they don't want bad reps, it has restricted me many times i can't say what fell cause I think I might get Bad Reps,so I just say nothing.

And I know I will probably get bad reps by for saying this, but I just like to know other members thoughts.

--

This is the route I took a few weeks ago (see below) in reference to the rep system. Since then, I've had the papparazzi following my every move.

Okay, I'm going to try a new approach here:

Fedor is God. Cro-Cop is Jesus. Wandy just cured cancer and Hendo has rid the world of AIDS. Tito is the worst fighter ever with a huge head and a skank girlfriend. In reality, he was never champion in the UFC and all of his fights should be ruled no contests because all of his opponents sucked anyway--guys like Mezger, Tanner, Belfort, Silva, Shamrock, Griffin, etc. He's a gatekeeper that will get owned by Rashad and get murdered by Wandy in a rematch (even though he beat him to become LHW champ when Silva was "green" or orange, or purple, or polka dotted, or an astronaut). I'm not worthy to debate anything in this forum even though I began religously following MMA after UFC 1 more than a decade ago and have intensely continued since. My name is Marlo Black, will you guys come hang out in my treehouse?

subman
05-03-2007, 12:57 AM
People actually care about rep? If people give me bad rep all I ask is that they add a humorous comment to entertain me with it!

Up until this thread, I didn't even know there was a bad rep option! I just don't pay much attention to the whole rep thing. It was a nice little diversion when it first was implemented, that is about it.

I couldn't tell you why I have two rep numbers, or what it means. A good post is a good post, period.

Now that I DO know about the bad rep thing, what happens if some spammer/troll gets a bunch of bad reps? Does he have to do 50 push-ups? No happy hour drinks? Forced to watch the Koschek vs. Sanchez fight 3 times?

Highlander
05-03-2007, 01:03 AM
Who cares about the rep system? It's somewhat useless, but I like to get as many as possible. I still speak my mind.

Whenever someone gives a negative point, I give it back to them because I laugh at how they actually care enough to give a neg point.

Ronin, I'll give you a positive point, give it back if you like.

subman
05-03-2007, 01:15 AM
Who cares about the rep system? It's somewhat useless, but I like to get as many as possible. I still speak my mind.

Whenever someone gives a negative point, I give it back to them because I laugh at how they actually care enough to give a neg point.

Ronin, I'll give you a positive point, give it back if you like.

LOL

That's it, I am going on a rep rampage!

strife
05-03-2007, 01:25 AM
Like Tick said, who cares about it. Just ignore it and don't let it hurt your feelings.

lovebuzzkurt
05-03-2007, 01:47 AM

--

well thats a bad rep from me (j/k)
But seriously i feel obligated to post now when before i would just read what everyone wrote, i was just afraid that one day i would be deemed to inactive and no longer have the privilege to post a thread when i really wanted to.
Now vote for me for prom king! Please?

Hypergit
05-03-2007, 01:47 AM
I know it is a stupid thing and it is very Sherdoggish IMO

says the man who bumped his old threads begging for rep :grinsmile26:

dagreat1
05-03-2007, 01:53 AM
It's actually an antic that websites have been using for years. It's used to generate a higher volume of members and posters as some people want as many rep points as possible because they want status and recognition so will post often and stay active and logged on.

You should be proud of your negs yielded in a debate, it means your opinion had such an effect on someone that they actually took the time to neg rep you. I embrace my negs.

Clint
05-03-2007, 01:56 AM
Up until this thread, I didn't even know there was a bad rep option! I just don't pay much attention to the whole rep thing. It was a nice little diversion when it first was implemented, that is about it.

I couldn't tell you why I have two rep numbers, or what it means. A good post is a good post, period.

Now that I DO know about the bad rep thing, what happens if some spammer/troll gets a bunch of bad reps? Does he have to do 50 push-ups? No happy hour drinks? Forced to watch the Koschek vs. Sanchez fight 3 times?
If you get a rep below zero you are unable to start threads. Otherwise it is simply a way to see what users are not exactly the most reputable and who is more trustworthy. It's more for newer members than the regulars in that sense.

In general don't worry about negative reps, if you are a good poster you will come out ahead in the end anyways.

jbart321
05-03-2007, 02:17 AM
It is a popularity contest but who cares really? It's nice to be recognized for insightful comments and being an active member of the forum, but it doesn't really mean anything. I do find it funny that all of the mods have a ton of rep even though it was just recently put into place. I don't think thats very fair, but again who really cares all that much?

sodium_nitrate
05-03-2007, 03:24 AM
check out piss ant's rep. see if he gives two shits about it. i find it funny that anyone even starts a thread about rep anymore. unless you're sitting in front of the computer 24/7, most people can deal with losing a number on the internet.

dudefella
05-03-2007, 03:56 AM
rep is just a circle jerk... ignore it, or start lots of threads to get some. I chose the former, lol

subman
05-03-2007, 05:34 AM
I know it is a stupid thing and it is very Sherdoggish IMO, but i do feel that it is nessasary to keep hundreds of stupid threads from being started after every PPV, UFN, TUF ect.ect.ect.

Ah, there is some sort of thread start rule tied to it? I do hate the 18 different "Fedor cheated" threads, along with the 25 "Cro Cop got pwned" threads.

dagreat1
05-03-2007, 05:45 AM
^^^ true but if the tolls are coming from other forums, how hard will it be for them to come here, in advance and post a little somethign to get them rep and then troll on PPV nights?

It't not a fool proof plan by any means and will only be effective to the dumbest of trolls. So maybe around 30% effective at most so it is a good start.

I think the best method is to just find those that troll and post their email and IP address for all to see and to send viruses to. An eye for an eye or as Bas would say "2 eyes for an eye". You make the mods life difficult by them having to work hard to delete your troll ass threads, they should make your life even worse by publically displaying your information.

Not sure about the legalities though.

strife
05-03-2007, 08:04 AM
^^^ true but if the tolls are coming from other forums, how hard will it be for them to come here, in advance and post a little somethign to get them rep and then troll on PPV nights?

It't not a fool proof plan by any means and will only be effective to the dumbest of trolls. So maybe around 30% effective at most so it is a good start.

I think the best method is to just find those that troll and post their email and IP address for all to see and to send viruses to. An eye for an eye or as Bas would say "2 eyes for an eye". You make the mods life difficult by them having to work hard to delete your troll ass threads, they should make your life even worse by publically displaying your information.

Honestly great, that's just sinister.

Legend
05-03-2007, 01:32 PM
Sorry Sundance but...

says the man who bumped his old threads begging for rep :grinsmile26:

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/3/a/4/3a49488ce97e6ecf2d8f3e43a6ece109.jpg

Howie
05-03-2007, 04:21 PM
the rep system serves its purpose. the thing that annoys me is ppl who ask for it lol.

PLEASE GIVE ME REPP!!!

Clint
05-03-2007, 06:10 PM

The problem there is by the time you know they are a troll they have already been causing problems or doing shit like posting spoilers/making 10,000 threads. That and many intentional trolls use a proxy. So we don't know their real IP address.

dagreat1
05-04-2007, 05:13 AM
The problem there is by the time you know they are a troll they have already been causing problems or doing shit like posting spoilers/making 10,000 threads. That and many intentional trolls use a proxy. So we don't know their real IP address.

Those dodgy bastards. Do you at least get their email addresses? If they signed up with an email address they use frequently you can still put their email address on blast and can sell their email address to spamming companies and sign them up for spamming newsletters that will send them 100+ emails per day. It will pretty much end that email address unless they want to delete 100 emails per day and even though most will go to the bulk box there are still some that will get through.

I was spammed and stopped using the email address because I was wasting around 1 minute of my life per day having to delete the spam emails.

Clint
05-04-2007, 06:03 AM
Those dodgy bastards. Do you at least get their email addresses? If they signed up with an email address they use frequently you can still put their email address on blast and can sell their email address to spamming companies and sign them up for spamming newsletters that will send them 100+ emails per day. It will pretty much end that email address unless they want to delete 100 emails per day and even though most will go to the bulk box there are still some that will get through.

I was spammed and stopped using the email address because I was wasting around 1 minute of my life per day having to delete the spam emails.
Usually it just looks like a generic yahoo account or some shit. It might be their legit one but generally it isn't/it's too easy to change.

TriangleChoke
05-05-2007, 01:22 AM
:lmfao: my thoughts exactly..who give's a F if someone gives u a bad rep? what has the world come to when people are getting worked up because some random person you most likely dont even know disagrees with your post and takes an ONLINE REPUTATION POINT away from you??? :confusedsmilie:

edit: REP'D :lmfao:

dudefella
05-05-2007, 06:39 AM
:lmfao: my thoughts exactly..who give's a F if someone gives u a bad rep? what has the world come to when people are getting worked up because some random person you most likely dont even know disagrees with your post and takes an ONLINE REPUTATION POINT away from you??? :confusedsmilie:

edit: REP'D :lmfao:
Seriously. Unless you're my friend or a girl I'm trying to get with, I don't give a shit what you think. Hell, even if you are, I probably still don't give a shit.

Neg away.

Boo
05-05-2007, 08:22 PM
Ronin,

I think the whole hysteria over rep will calm down over time. People will start acting more normal. However, I don't think it's a bad thing that people think twice before they post or say things in a more civil manner because there may be repercussions if they don't. We all know someone has to get REALLY extreme before they are banned, so it's not much of a deterrent.

I like that it will prevent trolls signing up and immediately starting threads.

I've been here long enough to form my own opinion of people, so it's not particularly useful to me, but if I went to a new forum with rep, I would probably pay attention to it.

Someone unfamiliar with the system probably won't find it useful. I'm basing that on the questions asked at other forums with rep that is more established than this one. People new to forums tend to not even realize it exists and when they do, don't know what to do with it or what it means.

Clint
05-05-2007, 08:47 PM
I'm always open to suggestions on how to improve the system if anyone has any.

strife
05-05-2007, 10:41 PM
Why not just have it give an exact number instead of 100-124 or 200+?

Clint
05-05-2007, 11:16 PM
Why not just have it give an exact number instead of 100-124 or 200+?
The only built in things for rep are those little green bars. The things that say "Rep: 100-124" and shit are custom made I have to create a user level that says whatever rep they are at and then a promotion from the level under to that level and the level above to that level.

That would be 250 or so levels and around 500 promotions.

Boo
05-06-2007, 03:52 AM
I'm always open to suggestions on how to improve the system if anyone has any.
I wasn't criticizing it Clint in case you thought so. I was pointing out that people new to forums have a lot to learn and it takes awhile.

Clint
05-06-2007, 05:53 AM
I wasn't criticizing it Clint in case you thought so. I was pointing out that people new to forums have a lot to learn and it takes awhile.
No problem. Thats actually one of the hardest tasks of being a mod. Differentiating between a clever troll and someone who is new to forums.

strife
05-06-2007, 10:16 AM
The only built in things for rep are those little green bars. The things that say "Rep: 100-124" and shit are custom made I have to create a user level that says whatever rep they are at and then a promotion from the level under to that level and the level above to that level.

That would be 250 or so levels and around 500 promotions.

I only ask because most of the forums I'm a member of that have used rep would have an exact number.

Clint
05-06-2007, 03:15 PM
I only ask because most of the forums I'm a member of that have used rep would have an exact number.
Yeah there is no setting for that, atleast not that I could find.

Krazikarl
05-07-2007, 08:28 AM
I normally dont read this forum, so I just found this, but I honestly cant believe that you posted this ronin. I dont really care about neg reps (I'm just posting this because you are the biggest hypocrite I've seen in a good while), but you came back at me with the biggest bitch neg rep on me after I called you a troll. Then you post a thread about lame neg repping after you hit me with the silliest abusive neg rep? Thats just hilarious.

For reference:

http://forums.mmanews.com/showthread.php?t=8732

The thread started off like this:

Now that the Fertitas own Pride we have the chance to see some of the biggest matchups, but the UFC has aquired Cro Cop, Big Nog, Fabricio Werdum, and Heath Herring...there was a discussion earlier about the pride hw divison being drained of its talent..Will Pride aquire some new blood with lots of talent in the heavyweight division? I hope they do something because losing Cro Cop, Werdum, Big Nog, and Herring (even though herring left pride a while ago) has really hurt their HW division imo.

Your first post was:

Dana runs things and he gives 2 shits about Pride's future he doesn't care.
When are you people gonna learn Pride is Dead!!!

My prediction this time next year Pride will stop all operation.
They just bought Pride to strip it of all its good fighters, if its still around next years it's not gonna have 1 top ten fighter in its roster.

I responded:

Wrong on so many levels. I really dont like to give out neg reps, but this is Sherdog level garbage. A bunch of statements that contradict multiple facts, and there are no additional facts to support the wild claims. That trolling by definition.

Dana does not run the Japanese version of Pride as has been said by lots of people. What he has to do with the US side remains to be seen. Before you make a wild claim, you must present evidence to support said claim.

"Pride is Dead" is just trolling, so I'm not going to bother.

As to stripping Pride:

This doesnt even make sense if you think about it for more than 1.2 seconds. Why have one market when you can have two? Combat sports are extremely popular in Japan and Asia (China is a potential goldmine and everybody knows it). Why abandon Japan and Asia? This makes zero sense, especially since they will have a TV deal for Pride.

Dana not giving 2 shits about Pride is also stupid. As multiple people have said, Dana is about making money. Abandoning a highly successful market doesnt make you money.

And I neg repped you specifically stating it was because you posted an inflammatory statement with absolutely no evidence to support a single statement in said inflammatory statement (which is the definition of trolling).

You immediately neg rep me back with the comment:

Dana has finaly say on everything,the guy who runs Pride in Japan just a empty suit

Which is just another trolling statement since there is no evidence to support your claims. Plus, the reason you gave for neg repping me is because...YOU DISAGREED WITH MY OPINION. Then you have the guts to go out and start a post about bad neg reps where somebdoy neg reps just because they disagree? Give me a fucking break. There are a ton of reasons to dislike the rep system, but this is the lamest thread ever given how you act.

If you still insist your original inflammatory statements with no evidence wasnt trolling, then you are welcome to explain why I got 3 positive reps for my response in which I said I was neg repping you for trolling. Seems to me that people were agreeing with me, so maybe you shouldnt be so quick to claim that I was doing it just because I disagreed.

This kind of stuff really makes me wonder about some people

Krazikarl
05-07-2007, 09:08 AM
New Tangent:

Somewhat ironically (see my above post), I actually do agree with the original post. Since Clint asked for suggestions, I do have one:

There are two big problems with the rep system. One is people doing the neg reps for trivial reasons (or the counter neg rep when the original neg rep was for a legitimate reason). The other is people gradually accumulating positive reps because people pos rep for trivial stuff (ie somebody says something like "CHUCK LIDDELLLL RULEZZZZZ" and then some yahoo pos reps it thinking "HE DOES RULEEZZ"). The positive reps are a problem because then you tend to gain positive reps just because you post more, because people will eventually give you silly positive reps if you post enough trivial stuff.

SOLUTION:

Fix both problems by requiring at least 2 reps (from different people of course) for a given post in order for it to count. Then all of the little bitch negative reps dont matter since only one person will neg rep, but if its really a bad post, then multiple people will neg rep. The same goes for positive reps. So, you get no points in either direction for a single person, but at least two points in a given direction for a post that should be legitimally pos or neg repped.

I think that this is important because not enough people neg rep for crappy posts now. I've found that about 75% of neg reps that I give will result in a neg rep from that person within 24 hours. So, if you care about your rep at all (which I dont), you wont ever neg rep somebody because its going to come back at you more times than most.

drake_411
05-07-2007, 12:36 PM
I don't have a probelm with it, but I wouldn't be surprised if none of yall gave a fuck about what I say cause this is my first post and I have no rep :)

Clint
05-07-2007, 05:53 PM
New Tangent:

Somewhat ironically (see my above post), I actually do agree with the original post. Since Clint asked for suggestions, I do have one:

There are two big problems with the rep system. One is people doing the neg reps for trivial reasons (or the counter neg rep when the original neg rep was for a legitimate reason). The other is people gradually accumulating positive reps because people pos rep for trivial stuff (ie somebody says something like "CHUCK LIDDELLLL RULEZZZZZ" and then some yahoo pos reps it thinking "HE DOES RULEEZZ"). The positive reps are a problem because then you tend to gain positive reps just because you post more, because people will eventually give you silly positive reps if you post enough trivial stuff.

SOLUTION:

Fix both problems by requiring at least 2 reps (from different people of course) for a given post in order for it to count. Then all of the little bitch negative reps dont matter since only one person will neg rep, but if its really a bad post, then multiple people will neg rep. The same goes for positive reps. So, you get no points in either direction for a single person, but at least two points in a given direction for a post that should be legitimally pos or neg repped.

I think that this is important because not enough people neg rep for crappy posts now. I've found that about 75% of neg reps that I give will result in a neg rep from that person within 24 hours. So, if you care about your rep at all (which I dont), you wont ever neg rep somebody because its going to come back at you more times than most.

I really like this idea. I'm personally of the philosphy that the pos reps I accumulate will offset the negs I get for dumb reasons but I could see where it worries people. I dunno if I can do the two reps things with the available settings to me but I might be able to make it where reps are simply harder to count in general.

strife
05-08-2007, 02:34 AM
I think the idea sucks, I don't see what the big deal is with rep....

warrior06
05-08-2007, 04:46 AM
I understand the rep system.

But I think that lurker's and rookies shouldn't be allowed to rep people or Users that have under 10 rep. :confusedsmilie:

warrior06
05-08-2007, 06:58 AM
I C.

Thx

Malice
05-08-2007, 08:55 PM
3 things I hate about the REP System:

1) People saying "Rep'd"
2) People begging for "Reps"
3) People worrying about Rep all the time.

Highlander
05-08-2007, 11:06 PM
3 things I hate about the REP System:

1) People saying "Rep'd"
2) People begging for "Reps"
3) People worrying about Rep all the time.

Well said.

You've been rep'd.

Can you give me some positeve rep, please? I need to get more.

Boo
05-09-2007, 05:42 AM
Well said.

You've been rep'd.

Can you give me some positeve rep, please? I need to get more.
LOL, smartass

Highlander
05-09-2007, 06:49 PM
LOL, smartass

Like my father always said, "It's better to be a smartass, than a dumbass. Now get daddy his sauce!"

Ramma
05-10-2007, 04:25 AM
Like my father always said, "It's better to be a smartass, than a dumbass. Now get daddy his sauce!"
lol

scottsec
05-10-2007, 06:38 AM
Rep system is kinda fun if ya ask me.

Mac
05-12-2007, 07:34 PM
This is shit, I just got neg rep'd by a lurker with zero posts. You shouldn't be able to rep people until you have a certain amount of posts.

Boo
05-12-2007, 08:28 PM
This is shit, I just got neg rep'd by a lurker with zero posts. You shouldn't be able to rep people until you have a certain amount of posts.
I don't think that a lurker can have an effect on your rep, at least it shouldn't if the system is set up correctly. Was the little box next to their comment gray?

They can use it as a private way to express their displeasure for what you posted.

Mac
05-12-2007, 09:14 PM
I don't think that a lurker can have an effect on your rep, at least it shouldn't if the system is set up correctly. Was the little box next to their comment gray?

They can use it as a private way to express their displeasure for what you posted.
So for a neg rep to count does it have to be red?

Clint
05-12-2007, 10:06 PM
So for a neg rep to count does it have to be red?
Yeah it basically works like this:
Red - Negative
Green - Positive
Gray - They don't have enough rep/posts/time here to give positive or negitive rep.

Mac
05-12-2007, 11:34 PM
Yeah it basically works like this:
Red - Negative
Green - Positive
Gray - They don't have enough rep/posts/time here to give positive or negitive rep.
Thanks!

danger123
05-13-2007, 05:12 AM
i hope someday to have lots of rep.

Beowulf
05-18-2007, 09:39 PM
eh iwas looking for the thread that explains the rep system but couldnt find it, any help?

strife
05-18-2007, 10:15 PM
http://forums.mmanews.com/showthread.php?t=8075