PDA

View Full Version : The Contender

error2k5
07-16-2006, 07:52 PM
seeing as how there are plenty of fans around here of the Ultimate fighter reality series, is anyone planning to watch this boxing one? I had watched the first season but it seems that espn is restoring it.

Luis Cruz
07-16-2006, 08:17 PM
I liked season one except for the little HL fight scenes they did and cutting the fights in half. They're not suppose to do that this season, the entire fights are suppose to air and from the previews they looked pretty damn good. I'll be watching season two also, and i actually am familiar with even more names on this season than the first.

Oh and a side note, if Sergio wins his next fight and does fight Taylor later this year, he will suffer the same fate as Malafaggi did against Cotto and that's a long drawn out beating. He doesn't have the power to stop Taylor from coming forward and his defense isn't as great as people want to make it seem, he gets hit a lot. He's by no means ready for Taylor, this is just a ratings fight because he was on the show. I think Peter would do a lot better against Taylor and he DID beat Mora in that second fight, one of the worse robberies i even seen in boxing, that whole night was.

jmack123
07-16-2006, 10:02 PM
omg man that mora-manfredo decision was such bullshit, its unbeliveable and now Mora is getting a title fight which he will lose but still it should be manfredo in his position. Season 1 of the contendor was awesome but i also hated the chopped fights because you could never tell who really won a fight.

Also i may be wrong but i could swear i read Manfredo was gonna fight Mayweather

Luis Cruz
07-16-2006, 10:09 PM
omg man that mora-manfredo decision was such bullshit, its unbeliveable and now Mora is getting a title fight which he will lose but still it should be manfredo in his position. Season 1 of the contendor was awesome but i also hated the chopped fights because you could never tell who really won a fight.

Also i may be wrong but i could swear i read Manfredo was gonna fight Mayweather

that was probably just a rumor. peter is fighting at 168lbs now, a ways off for mayweather.

error2k5
07-17-2006, 12:38 AM
omg I used to hate mora, I still do, I wanted him to lose to jesse and peter with a passion, I can't wait to see his arrogant ass knocked out, I recall, and I quote him saying this in the series, "If I ever get knocked out I will retire from boxing."

Luis Cruz
07-19-2006, 08:15 PM
Ok so i thought season 1 was cool getting to know everyone but i always hated the way the fights weren't shown and punches were exagerrated in highlight type replays. I watched last night thinking, ok cool this is going to be a good season there's already issues and they're going to settle it on the very first show, great! Now comes the fight....i read somewhere that they were suppose to show the fights in their entirity and take away that 'hollywood' looking effect in the fights. Well the fight starts and what happens??? Yup, stupid ass sound effects for punches that don't even land, makng punches look like they were hard and hurt the guy when clearly they were nothing, and showing a whooping 30 SECONDS of a 3 minute round!! I was already pissed that Sergio 'I get bullshit calls' Mora is in this show and then this. I watched 3 rounds and then threw my remote i was pissed at what i was seeing. As a hardcore boxing fan for years, i feel offended and disrespected with this bullshit ass show. If i wanted to watch a hollywood boxing movie with sound effects and exagerrated punches i'll wait for Rocky 6 to come out and go to the theatre. This is a complete disagrace to the sport and disrespectful to real fans and the fighters themselves, boxing has a huge fan base they aren't trying to recruit fans like mma. I'm disappointed in Sugar Ray even being involved with some crap like this. So i stopped watching after round 3 and erased it off my tivo season pass and i hope their ratings are rock bottom crap and it gets pulled like Oscar's crappy ass show before the season is even over.

killerinstinct
07-19-2006, 09:59 PM
I liked oscar's show-The Next Great Champ it was way better than The Pretender.

Matt Boone
07-19-2006, 10:04 PM
I followed season one, loved it. New Contender was starting last night, had 0 interest in seeing it. Didn't watch it, haven't gone out of my way to catch a replay. Not really jazzed about another season of this show. Is Sly Stallone and Sugar Ray still part of it?

Matt Boone
07-19-2006, 10:06 PM
P.S. - "boxing has a huge fan base they aren't trying to recruit fans like mma"

Wrong. They got a huge fan base in comparison to MMA, but recruiting fans is exactly what they're trying to do with Contender. It's the whole point of the show. Very little to do with bringing up fighters, lots more with bringing in fans and getting them interested in the fighters and then using those fighters as props to put on big shows and make money. They did like 1,000 Contender specials after the series was done and for that exact reason.

Mora is on the show again, what as a competitor? Or is he some expert coach or some shit now lol?

Luis Cruz
07-19-2006, 10:45 PM
I should've said NEED since that's what i meant. they don't need to recruit new fans. I believe it's still Sly's show but he's not on tv for this season, Sugar Ray is the one running it on tv. Mora is some "expert" coach i guess, he's not a competitor, these guys are Lightweights this season. I was amped to because i was familiar with a lot of them, oh well they ruined it.

Alvin
07-19-2006, 11:46 PM
I dunno what everyone's complaining about. I loved the first series.

Alright the sound effects & slow motion punches during real play was daft & the fact that you never saw the entire fight as it happened meant the viewer couldn't possible give a fair opinion on the verdict, but overall it was good tv.

Nevertheless, it did prove that these shows can't really work. After all Manfredo & that Turkish lad got eliminated fairly early & had another crack of the whip. Can you imagine the embarressment if Manfredo won the competition after being beaten in the first fight of the series?!?!?

So when the second series is aired over here I'll definately tune in.

Matt Boone
07-20-2006, 03:43 AM
I just downloaded the first two episodes of this season, I'm about to watch episode one now. I'll post afterwards.

Anthony
07-20-2006, 04:30 AM
To me they are trying to make it more action packed. I dont care about boxing and I am even insulted that they edit the shit out of the fights. I think if they showed the entire fight, they would be cancelled before the first show.

Matt Boone
07-20-2006, 04:45 AM
Just seen episode one. It was awesome. I agree just like I did last season that I hate the way they air the fights edited, instead of the entire thing - and maybe worse than that is the fights are only 5 rounds so guys who would normally lose 10 or 12 round fights can just go balls to the wall and get decisions on fights they'd probably lose if real length.

Matt Boone
07-20-2006, 05:37 AM
Episode two was awesome also. Man, I wish even more for that episode that they would show the whole fights because that one seemed like an awesome fight. And Cruz is right, the sound effects when the punches land are corny as hell.

yumitree
07-20-2006, 06:12 AM
what i hate most with the edited fights... and what makes it nearly impossible for me to watch is the foleyed in punches. it's ridiculous and makes every jab sound like it's a bowling ball being hurled at a heavy bag.

Luis Cruz
07-20-2006, 06:51 AM
i said before i think the concept is great, getting to know the guys and watching them train. But i'm a 'BOXING' fan not a reality tv show fan first, so therefore i look forward to the actual boxing and they all but take that entirely away with their bullshit editing, therefore to me it's a pointless show.

BTW in case some of you didn't know Anthony Bosante (#1 dad) from season one is fighting Allan Green on Friday night fights on espn this week. Green is the guy who ko'd a huge prospect in Codrington in 18 seconds and had the knockout of the year in November of lst year. It was a scary ass knockout and Cod was out so long people thinking he was dead wasn't so far fetched, with his family rushing the ring and causing chaos. Green has scary power and Bosante is older so this is a bad matchup for him but i hope he wins, he was my favorite fighter on season one. Green did get a little exposed in his last fight again McCrary where he got caught and dropped in the 2nd round i think it was, i was actually hoping he got ko'd but he got up and ko'd McCrary in the 6th round i think it was if not somewhere around there but he got the job done after a sloppy start. Just a little backround in case anyone is interested in watching. :grinsmile1:

yumitree
07-20-2006, 07:04 AM
it was kind of weird seeing codrington not fighting on hdtv and the whole "chin checkers" thing.

Matt Boone
07-20-2006, 07:08 PM
You would think after establishing an audience with the really reality gimmicky shit in season one (challenges, Sly, fight editing, home life and everyone crying, etc.) that this season could be more legit for the audience it created last year. People watching this season obviously like boxing, so I don't know why they feel the need to keep it hardcore reality-TV like. It's not on the major NBC or any of those channels is it? If it's not, I don't see much reason in keeping the show all goofy-reality like.

Luis Cruz
07-20-2006, 08:18 PM
You would think after establishing an audience with the really reality gimmicky shit in season one (challenges, Sly, fight editing, home life and everyone crying, etc.) that this season could be more legit for the audience it created last year. People watching this season obviously like boxing, so I don't know why they feel the need to keep it hardcore reality-TV like. It's not on the major NBC or any of those channels is it? If it's not, I don't see much reason in keeping the show all goofy-reality like.

Of all things it's on ESPN, who watches ESPN? The sports fans! Not reality show fans. Their ratings were crap last year and they're lucky to get a season two but they still messed it up so i see the ratings being even worse, so they should be officially done after this if they even make it thru this whole season.

Matt Boone
07-20-2006, 08:21 PM
Wow I didn't know it aired on ESPN. That makes it even dumber. ESPN viewers and boxing fans obviously don't want to see a sports show done in reality-TV style and this isn't a new show so it's completely pointless to keep that format.

Luis Cruz
07-21-2006, 04:43 AM
There was an article i read this morning on the new york daily news and the guy said the show took away some of the family moments and now focuses more just for boxing fans and its on espn for that reason too. So of course i emailed him and broke it down shotgun style for him with my same reasons i stated in this thread. He wrote back and said "you make great points and hit the heart of the problem. Burtnett told me all the rounds were in order as they actually happened." (i told him we couldn't even be sure we were actually watching the rounds it said it was.) So i replied the show sucks because they took away family stuff and didn't compensate the show with anything like an actual full fight, they took and didn't replace which makes it even worse. I told him to tell Burtnett to stick to shows like survivor because he has no business covering sports. I felt so much better because i won the argument and made his article look pointless. :grinsmile1:

Oh and he admitted he didn't know anything about boxing outside of major fights and huge names in the sport, dee dee dee!

Matt Boone
07-21-2006, 05:16 AM
I don't either, but any idiot can figure out what fans of The Contender want from it compared to what they're getting.

tj31atr
07-23-2006, 05:28 AM
I watched the first contender and will (unfortunately, due to my wife) watch the second. I agree with the idea that they need to show the whole fight. Hell UFC can do it with 5 minute rounds!

Alvin
07-24-2006, 10:48 PM
Well, Contender 2 just aired over here & alright, I see your point.

Slowing down the fight to a pause before a big shot is landed is so lame & takes away all the enjoyment of the fight. From what I saw of the fight it was a UD to K9, but it ended up a majority so the rounds obviously weren't a fair reflection of the fight. Also how far up Leonards ass did Mora crawl? During the fight everything Ray said Mora repeated.

All that aside, I still enjoyed the show.

Afro
07-25-2006, 03:08 AM
im all K9 Fan I dont care, I want him to win it all

Alvin
07-25-2006, 08:05 AM
Right, but do you see my point.

The way they showed the fight, K9 won rd 1 & 2, lost rd 3 & 4, then won rd 5 heavily with the knock down. Yet one judge gave it to Mike.

Afro
07-25-2006, 05:30 PM
I watched the first contender and will (unfortunately, due to my wife) watch the second. I agree with the idea that they need to show the whole fight. Hell UFC can do it with 5 minute rounds!
the fights are longer in the contender then in the TUF by 6 mins, but yea they should show the whole fight but I dont really mind the highlights either.. Contender is still a great show IMO.

Matt Boone
07-26-2006, 09:23 PM
Anyone see episode 3 yet? I just downloaded and watched it now. Another great episode. I'm already pretty much over the hollywood style set up to the actual matches, it is what it is. I can still enjoy the show because it's a great show. However when fights are as close as the last two seemed to be, I wish I could see the entire thing! They should make the full fights available on their website or something at least.

error2k5
08-02-2006, 07:06 AM
so walter won and his next opponnent is K9, if you go to the site they gave up a bit of a spoiler and said he's facing K9 next. I'm looking forward to seeing that one.

Afro
08-02-2006, 06:53 PM
the contender is a great show

yumitree
08-02-2006, 10:58 PM
so walter won and his next opponnent is K9, if you go to the site they gave up a bit of a spoiler and said he's facing K9 next. I'm looking forward to seeing that one.

...and then you gave that spoiler to us (without warning)...

i think the edited fights will always bug me and last night's fight was a prime example of that. eason's shitty looking body shots foleyed and sounding like devistating punches and from the judge's scores (and andre's face at the end of the fight), it seems like the fight was a lot more one-sided than the way it was edited for the show. all eason needed to do was throw a few convincing flurries and the editors had all they needed to put together a highlight reel for a competitive looking fight, but wright swept the judge's scores and eason looked like he ate wright's jab all night.

espn could fit the full fight (including between round breaks) in the last half hour of the show with commercials (21 minutes of fighting time is the same as a 30min network show minus commercial breaks) and i keep wishing they would to that. i was hoping upon hope that the move from a major network to a sports channel would mean more emphasis on the sport this season, but it didn't.

Afro
08-03-2006, 04:55 AM
I dont see much problem with the highlight reel'd fights, they dont bug me TOO MUCH because its like a cheap version of HDTV.. honestly when Walter knocked down Andre it looked sicker then a normal boxing match. Honestly, no one watches the up and comers box anyways so I dont see anyone sittin thru a boxing match like these unless there a big time boxing fan, who watches Friday knight fights on ESPN? not many.. so I think they gotta highlight reel it to make it interesting

Luis Cruz
08-03-2006, 05:22 AM
I dont see much problem with the highlight reel'd fights, they dont bug me TOO MUCH because its like a cheap version of HDTV.. honestly when Walter knocked down Andre it looked sicker then a normal boxing match. Honestly, no one watches the up and comers box anyways so I dont see anyone sittin thru a boxing match like these unless there a big time boxing fan, who watches Friday knight fights on ESPN? not many.. so I think they gotta highlight reel it to make it interesting

most people that watch espn and are boxing fans probably tune in to friday night fights. i'm one of those fans that watches everything that comes on tv and keeps a close eye on up and comers, which is why i hate the highlight fights of this show.

yumitree
08-03-2006, 05:38 AM
these aren't even up-and-comers. ebo elder, norberto bravo, k9, nick acevedo, andre eason. these are people who have fought for a long time and are trying to get back in the game. the contender 2 is just like the ultimate fighter 4.

Afro
08-03-2006, 05:41 AM
there still no names to the average boxing fan though, I dunno I just dont know a lot of people who can appreciated a good boxing match if it isnt two big names going at it, maybe thats just me

Luis Cruz
08-03-2006, 06:37 AM
there still no names to the average boxing fan though, I dunno I just dont know a lot of people who can appreciated a good boxing match if it isnt two big names going at it, maybe thats just me

i guarentee you if two people watched the first meeting of jorge arce and hussein hussein, who people won't know that aren't huge boxing fans because they're smaller weights people don't give a fair shake to, they would be glued to the tv. that was a war up all the way til the end when arce stopped him in the 10th. fight of the year caliber for 2005 only second to castillo vs corrales 1.

Afro
08-04-2006, 12:29 AM
or even Delvin Rodriguez's fight with Shaka, that was a good one.. I wouldnt say fight of the year caliber but still pretty damn exciting.

Luis Cruz
08-04-2006, 12:33 AM
or even Delvin Rodriguez's fight with Shaka, that was a good one.. I wouldnt say fight of the year caliber but still pretty damn exciting.

Delvin is actually fighting tomorrow night i believe it is on friday night fights, if not friday then next wednesday but i think it's tomorrow.

Afro
08-04-2006, 12:34 AM
Delvin is actually fighting tomorrow night i believe it is on friday night fights, if not friday then next wednesday but i think it's tomorrow.
im definently watching then, his fights are always exciting.

yumitree
08-04-2006, 04:29 AM
i don't think delvin is fighting on friday. on wnf they were hyping up an ann wolfe fight and anthony peterson is fighting.

Luis Cruz
08-04-2006, 05:05 AM
i don't think delvin is fighting on friday. on wnf they were hyping up an ann wolfe fight and anthony peterson is fighting.

actually he's definately fighting tomorrow night against gilberto reyes i had to double check earlier on my tivo.

yumitree
08-04-2006, 10:25 PM
yeah, i noticed that on my tivo too, but it's not on espn's friday night fights schedual. it's hard to say because, like with mma, cards can change pretty suddenly because of injuries and the like. espn promoted wolfe and peterson and made no mention of rodriguez. the last time delvin fought on espn2, the network hyped it up, so you'd think they'd mention him fighting tonight.

i guess we'll see.

Luis Cruz
08-04-2006, 10:39 PM
yeah, i noticed that on my tivo too, but it's not on espn's friday night fights schedual. it's hard to say because, like with mma, cards can change pretty suddenly because of injuries and the like. espn promoted wolfe and peterson and made no mention of rodriguez. the last time delvin fought on espn2, the network hyped it up, so you'd think they'd mention him fighting tonight.

i guess we'll see.

i actually did see the commercials for peterson i didn't pay attention just figured it was for next wednesday. maybe he did get hurt. tivo had arnoutis fighting vivan harris the entire time also and he got injured and pulled a while ago probably before tivo even made that, so they do mess up often.