PDA

View Full Version : if you were a TUF coach

franco727
05-08-2007, 05:12 PM
if you guys were the coach's for TUF and you had to bring in a wrestling coach, striking coach, and JJ coach and you could pick any fighters, who would you pick for each

baba
05-08-2007, 05:23 PM
Interesting concept .... I'd pick:

Wrestling: Couture
MT: Anderson Silva
JJ: Big Nog or Half Nog

Striking I can't really say. Silva could probably cover that too.

SimpleJack
05-08-2007, 05:27 PM
The first thing I would do is put this in the TUF forum. Then I would do the following:

Wrestling: Kerr, Coleman (Both should have some spare time)
Striking: Cyril Abidi, Rick Roufus, or Hoost
BJJ: Garcia, Penn, Bravo, Nogueira

I think that would work. I would also work boxing with someone traditional like Lennox if I could.

baba
05-08-2007, 05:33 PM
The first thing I would do is put this in the TUF forum.

You're probably right, but the trend is posts get to stay as long as they make fun of Cakezilla, so I'll add him to my list as Nutritional Coach.

Clint
05-08-2007, 05:35 PM
This is actually a tough question if you really think about it since many guys who are good fighters aren't neccisarily good coaches. A good example would be BJ this season. he truely is a prodigy at alot of this stuff which is amazing for him but it naturally makes it harder for him to explain those things since the come so naturally to him. Equally my first though would be Crocop for striking but considering his personality I'm not sure he would make the greatest coach.

So my list would be:
Wrestling/GnP/Conditioning/Fight Strategy - Randy Couture - We know he is a good coach and a great leader

Striking - Saul from Tito's season - That season showed how good of a coach he is when he kept the guys from all hating each other over the Bisping-Matt drama. That kind of insight is essential when you have this many guys training together in these conditions

Grappling - Fedor - He's good at everthing else why wouldn't he be good at coaching

TriangleChoke
05-08-2007, 05:58 PM
MT/Boxing-Anderson Silva
Wrestling-Couture/Hendo/Coleman/Kerr.....ANY one of these guys
BJJ-BJ Penn/Werdum/Big Nog......ANY one of these guys

tapper
05-08-2007, 06:23 PM
The first thing I would do is put this in the TUF forum. Then I would do the following:

I think that would work. I would also work boxing with someone traditional like Lennox if I could.

completely agree.

b0sH
05-08-2007, 06:32 PM
Wrestling = Couture // Lindland // Hughes

Striking = Hoost // CroCop // Silva

BJJ = BJ Penn // Big Nog // Royce

All Round - Fedor // GSP // Chuck

Corner man - Tito // Couture

Don't know how good some of these guys would actually be at coaching, especially some1 like CroCop who's very reserved. If I had to chose a single coach it would definitely be between Fedor and GSP, Chuck's only really being considered because there must be some secrets to be taught from a guy who's that technically bad, to be able to have such an impressive resume.

SimpleJack
05-08-2007, 06:40 PM
I agree, but I think a striking coach should have at least SOME striking defense. Especially for an up-and-comer.

rockernhb
05-08-2007, 06:46 PM
Striking-Bas
Wrestling-Hughes
GNP/Submissions-Fedor

Sounds good to me...:confusedsmilie:

Malice
05-08-2007, 06:48 PM
Wrestling and conditioning - Dan Henderson
Striking - Gomi
Sambo and Judo - Fedor

Assistant Head Coach - Randy Couture

franco727
05-08-2007, 06:56 PM
I think i would go with

Couture for wrestling
Fedor for striking
Serra for BJJ

Gmunit
05-08-2007, 07:00 PM
Wrestling - Couture / Hendo / Lindland

JJ - Nog / Werdum

Striking - Shawn Tompkins / A. Silva

honourable mention to Karo for takedowns

franco727
05-08-2007, 07:03 PM

I only used the TUF as an example so everyone had something to relate it to, What i really mean is if you would start your own team, what coaches you wold have.

Thaistylist
05-08-2007, 07:10 PM
Wrestling- Koscheck, he comes off as a dickhead but I know that he was an excellent coach up here at UB.

JJ- I'd like to have Big Nog but I feel like the language barrier could hurt some fighters. I know that he speaks a little english but some people just don't have that kind of attention span. So, I would also consider Serra strongly. He may not be the best practicioner but he strikes me as some1 with good teaching ability.

Striking- I would love to have Freddie Roach train me in boxing. He strikes me as a great teacher, someone who pushes you by demanding your respect but at the same time forming his training around your strengths and weaknesses.

I feel like not everyone that is a great practicioner (sp?) is a good teacher. Many people who are great athletes do not make great coaches because they do not know how to relate to someone who is finding particular skills difficult because they never had to struggle through the learning process. Being great at a skill does not necessarily mean that you can convey your ideas the same way a great teacher or coach can.

magic marker
05-08-2007, 07:29 PM
cool idea, man. my list would be:
Striking: Chuck Liddell
Wrestling: Randy Couture
Strength and Conditioning: Tito Ortiz
Grappling: Matt Serra

Dat Dude
05-08-2007, 07:48 PM
My list is based on fighters with not only superior skills in the discipline but excellent technique

Wrestling - Randy Couture
Striking - Anderson Silva
BJJ - BJ Penn

Clint
05-08-2007, 07:55 PM
I feel like not everyone that is a great practicioner (sp?) is a good teacher. Many people who are great athletes do not make great coaches because they do not know how to relate to someone who is finding particular skills difficult because they never had to struggle through the learning process. Being great at a skill does not necessarily mean that you can convey your ideas the same way a great teacher or coach can.
That's my same perspective (get your own :angrrry: LOL). The best coaches are going to be the guys who are good but have less "natural ability" because they had to work harder for their skills and have a better understanding of what someone should do to improve a skill.

Highlander
05-08-2007, 10:38 PM
Striking-Anderson Silva-devastating Muay Thai
Wrestling Lindland-I hate him, but won an olymic silver medal in Greco-Roman wrestling
BJJ-Jeremy Horn-He isn't the best at BJJ, but a great teacher who could demonstrate all the techniques

Sundance- what do you mean Gabe as a punching bag? Gabrial Ginzaga or Gabe Rudiger?

scottsec
05-08-2007, 10:49 PM
Wrestling- Lindland
Striking- A. Silva, AA
BJJ- Royce Gracie

TapOut27
05-08-2007, 10:55 PM
Wrestling- Kevin Randleman for freestyle
BJJ- Rickson Gracie
Striking- Ernesto Hoost

Wrestling is the hardest to pick from because there are advantages of freestyle and greco.

franco727
05-09-2007, 12:21 AM
there are so many good choices out there

Bran
05-09-2007, 12:35 AM
Wrestling: Couture
Striking: Shawn Tompkins
BJJ: Dean Lister

Ubermensch
05-09-2007, 05:25 PM
Wrestling: Randy Couture
Striking: Vitali Klitchko
JJ: Marcelo Garcia

biggdogg
05-09-2007, 05:33 PM
from TUF i thought matt serra was an excellant corner I think he would be a good trainer. wrestling : coture bjj: Matt serra striking : anderson silva

Dat Dude
05-10-2007, 03:17 AM
JJ: Marcelo Garcia

Great choice, I think I'll change my vote.

AJL416AZ
05-10-2007, 06:49 AM
striking coach: mirko
wrestling: dan henderson
BJJ/grappling: Fedor

Masscore
05-10-2007, 09:19 PM
Wrestling - Cael Sanderson
Striking - Mark Hunt
BJJ - Renato Sobral

Palma
05-11-2007, 02:42 AM
Wrestling : Tito- he isn't the best wrestler in MMA, but he is a great coach and his wrestling translates well to MMA

BJJ: Serra- great coach and great BJJ practioner

Striking: GSP

DarKnight
05-11-2007, 03:28 AM
Wrestling- Randy

Striking- Bukaw

Jiu Jitsu- either nog

ozzy2525
05-13-2007, 05:35 PM
Striking-Mark DellaGrotte he is a great MT coach and was on TUF 4 he is Kenflo and many others MT coach.
BJJ-Marcelo Garcia and Ricardo Arona
Wrestling- Josh Koscheck for freestyle and Randy Couture for Greco
I would love to learn from these guys. Top that bithces :devil:
Edit: Matt Serra's BJJ is not that grea imo, It is great in sport BJJ but it dosen't translate to MMA

Palma
05-13-2007, 09:14 PM
Striking-Mark DellaGrotte he is a great MT coach and was on TUF 4 he is Kenflo and many others MT coach.
Edit: Matt Serra's BJJ is not that grea imo, It is great in sport BJJ but it dosen't translate to MMA

But that doesn't mean that Serra doesn't coach great BJJ for others to fight in MMA.

ozzy2525
05-14-2007, 04:23 PM
[QUOTE=Palma Wrestler]But that doesn't mean that Serra doesn't coach great BJJ for others to fight in MMA.[/QUOTE ]
If Matt Serra's BJJ dosen't work for himself in MMA how will it work for his fighters?

Palma
05-14-2007, 07:11 PM
[QUOTE=Palma Wrestler]But that doesn't mean that Serra doesn't coach great BJJ for others to fight in MMA.[/QUOTE ]
If Matt Serra's BJJ dosen't work for himself in MMA how will it work for his fighters?

Because some fighters are better at coaching then fighting. Look at Jeremy Horn. If the best fighters were the best coaches I could see your point that is almost never the case.

mma guru
10-07-2007, 04:05 PM
Wow good thread
Wrestling Id have matt hamill i know heas death but have an interprter and he can speak a bit . You cant deny he would teach them a lot
Boxing id go for chuck liddel because he has great knowlege on striking. forBJJ id go for dean lister because evryone raved about him on ULF 3

ufobydeath
10-07-2007, 11:50 PM
Striking - Bas
Submission Wrestling - Erik Paulson
Wrestling - Randy

blackfox
10-08-2007, 01:43 AM
Wrestling- kurt angle (lol not really), Couture, or lidell

Striking- Rampage, Bas

BJJ- Royce Gracie

just out of curiosity are the gracies not as revered as I think they are. only a couple have seemed to mention any of them for BJJ coaches. I mean if I could choose someone to learn from or to teach my guys I want the best around (or so is my thought about it).

Once again I'm new to this whole thing (fighting) so anyone who has been around longer than me I'll listen to I'm open to coherent reasoning.

finley
10-08-2007, 02:27 AM
Wrestling: Couture, he's shown to be a great coach, corner man, he has great conditioning, and he's one of the best Greco Roman wrestlers in MMA.
Striking: Rudimar Fedrigo, Chute Boxe's head striking coach
JJ: Saulo Ribeiro, one of the greatest BJJ artists of all time

blah
10-08-2007, 05:13 AM
good thread. a good fighter doesn't necessarily mean a good coach of course, as some of you have pointed out, but i know i'd go with couture for wrestling for sure. i would pick anderson silva to teach me (spar) kickboxing (with me), maybe spencer fisher or jens pulver for my hands, and maybe bj penn or diego sanchez for my ground game. i'm not sure who i would get as my strength and conditioning coach, maybe the guy who gets florian in shape, or perhaps forrest griffin who has a great work ethic.

Afro
10-08-2007, 05:14 AM
Based off of what exactly?

m_babyface_g
10-08-2007, 05:17 AM
Wrestling - Van Arsedale
BJJ - Werdum
Striking - Bas/Gomi
Conditioning - Coutour
Philosophy - Nick Diaz

leelandk
10-08-2007, 05:25 AM
Wrestling: Dan Henderson or Randy Couture
Striking: Shawn Thompkins
Grappling: Renzo or Cesar Gracie

sandywh
10-08-2007, 06:25 AM
Grappling Coach (overall)- Jake Shields (BJJ Brown Belt, 2 time All-American Wrestler)
Striking Coach - Marcus Davis (why not take a former pro boxer)
Wrestling Coach - Dan Henderson (Greco is a bitch to defend)(Couture is too busy with everyone elses fighters)
BJJ Coach - Rickson Gracie (the best of the best)
Corner Coach (Ringside) - Matt Serra (always go with the loudest voice in the arena)
Sparring Partner - Jeremy Horn (tremendous all-around fighter with better than average anything)

mothereffingbombtrack
10-08-2007, 07:55 PM
BJJ - Any gracie would do
Wrestling - Hendo
Striking - FREDDIE FREAKING ROACH! LOL

Noob
10-09-2007, 01:19 AM
Striking: Mark Delagrotte
Wrestling: Hendo, or one of the Team Quest coaches
Jits: Dean Lister, Saulo Ribeiro, Cesar or Renzo Gracie.
Cornerman: Couture
Cut-man: Stitch

The problem with picking coaches is that there are a million guys better at coaching wrestling, or boxing, but it has to be sport-specific for MMA. Same with BJJ, Muay Thai, etc.