PDA

View Full Version : Boxing down for the count?

superjld
05-09-2007, 02:24 AM
Found this artilcle on FoxSports. Thought everyone might enjoy it

http://msn.foxsports.com/boxing/story/6785912?MSNHPHMA

:wavesmile:

Punk Ass
05-09-2007, 03:25 AM
Just more boxing bashing. I'm a fan of both and personally I think the DLH/PBF fight was very entertaining. I just think many UFC fans value blood over skill, because many don't know what good striking is nor respect it. I value skill, not Bonner vs Griffin.

lovebuzzkurt
05-09-2007, 04:58 AM
Just more boxing bashing. I'm a fan of both and personally I think the DLH/PBF fight was very entertaining. I just think many UFC fans value blood over skill, because many don't know what good striking is nor respect it. I value skill, not Bonner vs Griffin.

I appreciate that you have the guts to say that in here knowing you will get flammed. I also thougth the fight was really good, and i think boxing will always be around its not going anywere. As soon as it has another poster boy (ei ali, hagler, duran, lenord, gotti, jones jr. tyson, de la hoya) it will have its surge.
Its a great sport and although I LOVE mma i dont think its old enough to have evolved to its potential like boxing has. I believe the fight showed just how technical a fight could be. Floyd was the master of defense and counter attack against a living legend. Boxing will not fade quietly into that faightful night.

Thaistylist
05-09-2007, 06:59 AM
Certain sports you have to understand to enjoy. I feel like baseball, soccer, and boxing are 3 of them. I know I personally don't understand soccer so I hate it. People who don't know boxing do not always have appreciation for the sweet science but want a brawl. Not every fight can be Gatti/Ward or end like Castillo/Coralles (rip)

Punk Ass
05-09-2007, 07:25 AM
Certain sports you have to understand to enjoy. I feel like baseball, soccer, and boxing are 3 of them. I know I personally don't understand soccer so I hate it. People who don't know boxing do not always have appreciation for the sweet science but want a brawl. Not every fight can be Gatti/Ward or end like Castillo/Coralles (rip)

Great point! Rep'd

Nate_Deezy
05-09-2007, 08:04 AM
I agree with the article...and loved the Bas quotes.

Salvy_Mic
05-09-2007, 11:43 AM
Mark my words, boxing will never go away, and one of these days, it"ll rise up to national prominence again. The only difference is that MMA will be firmly entrenched right alongside it. And that's fine with me, as I enjoy them both. There's nothing wrong with the sport of boxing itself, the problems lie in the shadows, with the sanctioning bodies, the promoters, and with the television people (Showtime aside, they're the only ones who get it at this point).

As soon as boxing stops relying on PPV to show all their big fights, make a concerted effort to bring boxing back to the networks, urge cable channels like HBO to stop acting like promoters, and push local boxers in their own regions to build them up into stars, boxing will be in a very solid place. Afterwards, the boxing people can do something to stop the horrendous corruption that goes on in the sanctioning bodies (WBA, WBC, IBF, and WBO), shear off the dead weight fringe sanctioning bodies, and get the promoters to push their fighters to unifying the titles. Believe me, boxing is not irrelevant, especially not in the rest of the world. Ask people from the Phillipines if boxing is irrelevant, when a guy like Manny Pacquiao has acheived iconic status. As people from Eastern Europe, where men like Wladimir Klitshcko and Stipe Drews are becoming national heroes. Ask Latin Americans, who will readily devote themselves to men like Miguel Cotto, Acelino Freitas, and Juan Manuel Marquez, ready to embrace them like they did Roberto Duran, Felix Trinidad, Julio Cesar Chavez, or Eder Jofre.

Hell, even in Japan, the true bastion of MMA if there ever was one, boxers like Hozumi Hasegawa are true superstars. Boxing will never die, the difference is that it is not thriving in America the way its thriving elsewhere in the world. Like I said, I bet you your average Filipino thinks boxing is in great shape, and why wouldn't he?

Vigilo
05-09-2007, 03:26 PM
Ya boxing is gonna make a comeback, so are rollerskates, Hoola hoops and windows 3.1

Instead of being blindly optimistic about the old boxing formula how about suggesting things that could make it better. Decision makers do read fight forums for ideas. Lets see some some energy man, boxing had to be more than Don King.

Caine2878
05-09-2007, 07:00 PM
I am a big fan of both boxing and MMA. I loved the DLH v PBF fight. You have to be a TRUE boxing fan to appreciate how PBF fights. Alot of MMA fans that watch boxing think boxing is supposed to be like what they see in Rocky and that's just not boxing. Boxing is the art of hitting without being hit not standing toe to toe to see who can last the longest. I will always love both boxing and mma I guess cause I train in both areas, but boxing will never die and will always have a fan base as will MMA.

The Deftone
05-09-2007, 11:28 PM
Boxing aint going anywhere. Everyone is looking at this on too small a time frame. Like if you look at it on 100yr or even 10yr time frame boxing is doing great! and mma is a new up and coming sport.

Sure there is isnt another super fight right now but so what? Give it a year or 2 and itl all be back in everyones faces.

Its just people who dont really know or like boxing that are saying this, I know im really excited to see Cotto V Zab and Hatton Vs Castillo and the rise of Williams... Sure there isnt any fights right now that the world wants to see but who cares? There was one last week!

Im not gonna go on and bore you but in closing boxing is gona be just fine....

Palma
05-10-2007, 12:01 AM

I hate to say it but UFC fans are fucking idiots. If you can't be entertained by boxing then why bitch about it like these jackasses? Just don't watch it. It really is that simple.

SimpleJack
05-10-2007, 01:33 AM
I see it like this:
Boxing is boxing. Like anything else, it has highs and lows. Highs in the 70's with Ali/FrazierForeman, 80's with Hearns/Hagler/Duran/Leonard, 90's with Mike Tyson/Holyfield/Bowe/Lewis, early 2000's with Mosley/Trinidad/De La Hoya. It'll come back. Boxing is just waiting for that one personality that stretches outside the sport to the world of glamour and celebrity.

There's no way, with the money DLH/PBF made that ANYONE can say that boxing is dead. If it is, that was the most expensive funeral anyone has ever seen........and a damn good fight.

scottsec
05-10-2007, 05:43 AM
Yeah, boxing has been around for a long time and will be for alot longer...

Jones
05-11-2007, 07:22 AM

What the hell are you on about, son? What was there to understand about Mike Tyson knocking the hell out of guys? He made boxing really simple. You just walk in there with black shorts and black shoes, smash a guy's brains in, and walk out. Nothing technical about that and people loved it. He transcended the sport and it was obvious why. All guys gotta do in boxing is FIGHT. That's all. Just FIGHT! Don't do that jab and run bullshit or that MMA shit between Koscheck/Sanchez or Alorvski/Werdum where guys just stare and circle and not do shit. That doesn't get respect from anybody.
The UFC is smart cause they put on 6 fights for ppv buyers so there's gotta be some good fights in there, even if most of them are crap. Boxing doesn't do that. You think anybody would buy a UFC event if they had only 1 main event and 2 undercard matches? Hell no, it ain't happening.
It's all about marketing it right.