PDA

View Full Version : Guys who have won in UFC, why go to TUF?

cpac77
05-13-2007, 07:19 AM
Take a guy like Joe Lauzon for example, he has a well documented win over Pulver. What is there to gain for a guy like Lauzon who was already on the road to probably earning a nice contract with UFC? Maybe a more lucrative deal? Maybe the exposure on TV will help get him more sponsors, which means more money? Anyone shed some light on this topic?

Take another guy like Matt Wiman, he had a pretty good showing a few months back vs. Spencer Fisher until Spencer knocked him out with a flying knee. For someone like Matt who didn't have nearly as much experience at the time, getting knocked out by Fisher isn't an upset. Fisher was by far the favorite and I'm sure most people had him winning in the first round. Keep in mind that Fisher was one win away from probably fighting Sherk. Franca got his title shot after beating Fisher.
It makes more sense for Wiman to be on the show since he lost his last 155 bout. Anyone have an opinion on this?

superjld
05-13-2007, 07:24 AM
I think if you look at the amount of exposure the UFC seems to give to TUF contestants opposed to other starting fighters, going on TUF is a great way to generate fan recognition. Plus, guys like Sanchez and Kos have moved up much faster due to TUF than they would if they had fought their way up via a more traditional route.

neonatural45
05-13-2007, 07:27 AM
Becuase sadly more americans know who danny abaddi is then who jon fitch is

thumper
05-13-2007, 08:14 AM
Superjld hit it right on the head.

The recognition is fantastic. Just ask Gabriella... I mean Gabe.

The other part, is the winner comes out of it a pretty happy dude cash wise. Much happier than a guy that's had one untelevised UFC fight and won 5 grand.

Legend
05-13-2007, 08:18 AM
Exposure is pretty much what it all boils down to. The better known the fighter is means more money from sponsors and the demand to have him fight will increase. It's all about get their faces out there and making some money.

da@LARGE
05-13-2007, 11:03 AM
I think you can look at TUF two different ways.

1) it's a reality show set to "discover" the greatest "unkown" fighter, OR

2) it's an eight, or in this season's case 16, man tournament presented in a reality show format.

Even if a fighter is confident of being successful without going on the show, they may see it as a tournament and go on for the challenge and exposure.

sandywh
05-13-2007, 03:31 PM
I agree with these other guys. Its all about exposure. If you're popular on TUF and make it the the final 4, you will certainly have a lot greater chance to sucdeed than if you turned them down.
Joe Louzon beat Jens Pulver. Did he have a big fight after that?
Leben, Bisbing, Hamill, Diego, Kos, Leben, Quarry, Ken-Flo. These are just some thew guys that got to fight cans there first few fights.
Granted some of them have been tested before they were "handed the world" with fighting Karo, Silvia, Franklin. But if Kos, Leben, and other guys that lost had not been on TUF, they would either be fodder for the big names or still working their way up in the Idaho Indoor Internation Mixed Martial Arts Association (IIIMMAA) (don't Google it. I made it up)

So yes, I'd take that chance aswell. I guy like Emerson would have never seen the Octagon if it weren't for TUF.

Sidenote: Most underrated TUFer that has gotten no push - Luke Cummo.

cpac77
05-14-2007, 12:20 AM
Understood, makes sense. Thanks guys for the insight.

AJL416AZ
05-14-2007, 03:20 AM
mo money mo money.

if people know your face, advertisers will come a'runnin
Jamie Varner was offered a spot and tried out for the show, but once he found out he was only an alternate, he just went to fight at 68

tmac
05-14-2007, 04:24 AM
Unfortunately the system really isn't all that fair. It seems like the guys that were on the show get a much bigger push by the UFC. Like someone else mentioned, Danny (who sucks and got his ass beat on the show) gets to lose two fights in the UFC.

Then you have other guys, who didn't go on the show, that worked really hard to get there competing in smaller orgs. They finally get their chance to be in the UFC, they get one fignt and they are done.

I think that the comeback season actually showed that there was a lot of talented guys who got their one shot (or two) and then that was it.

da@LARGE
05-14-2007, 05:48 AM
But the show does give guys like Jason MacDonald, Anderson Silva, and Yushin Okami the opportunity to beat TUFers and acheive greater exposure than they normally would.

rivethead
06-07-2007, 04:42 AM
Take a guy like Joe Lauzon for example, he has a well documented win over Pulver. What is there to gain for a guy like Lauzon who was already on the road to probably earning a nice contract with UFC? Maybe a more lucrative deal? Maybe the exposure on TV will help get him more sponsors, which means more money? Anyone shed some light on this topic?

Take another guy like Matt Wiman, he had a pretty good showing a few months back vs. Spencer Fisher until Spencer knocked him out with a flying knee. For someone like Matt who didn't have nearly as much experience at the time, getting knocked out by Fisher isn't an upset. Fisher was by far the favorite and I'm sure most people had him winning in the first round. Keep in mind that Fisher was one win away from probably fighting Sherk. Franca got his title shot after beating Fisher.
It makes more sense for Wiman to be on the show since he lost his last 155 bout. Anyone have an opinion on this?

The Fisher/Wiman bout wasn't at 155, it was at WW, 170.

I agree with you that Matt's inexperience led to the loss. He was actually doing well against Fisher, with answers to most of the shit Spencer threw at him and some good sub attempts...don't know that I see the first round going to Fisher as cleanly as you did. Matt did get stung with a punch and stupidly put his hand up, as you do in training to show respect...expecting a high-five or something...Spencer then delivered the KO knee.

I think if Matt had more experience, he wouldn't have made the doofus high-five mistake, and I think the fight was 50/50. Spencer's pretty nasty, but I think Wiman is more technical and could have worn him down.

I think he's going to do well at the lighter weight, don't count him out.

rh

neonatural45
06-07-2007, 05:15 AM
mo money mo money.

if people know your face, advertisers will come a'runnin
Jamie Varner was offered a spot and tried out for the show, but once he found out he was only an alternate, he just went to fight at 68

They had jamie varner as an alternate? wow, he would kill anyone on that show. He should go be champ in WEC

Dork8503
06-07-2007, 09:28 AM
Joe if im not mistaken didnt want to be on the show at first, after he beat pulver at the press conf they asked him to be on it, and he wanted his brother to be on it so that didnt work out and he ended up their.

Plus with Joe on the show it adds more drama because then you have a fighter who knocked out on of the coaches an blah blah blah

Donny77
06-07-2007, 02:48 PM
Look at how much noteriety guys like Griffin and Diego got.. Plus if u win the show u got endorsements a new car and a contract.. Sounds logical to me

emceelokey
06-09-2007, 05:29 AM
I think in the end it's beneficial for both the UFC and the Fighters. The UFC needs to build stars to have PPVs that don't seem like throw aways. Without the show the UFC would only have PPVs to build up name recgonition and if a fighter only fights once per 3 months it's going to be hard to build someone up. Without TUF the UFC PPVs would look like a boxing PPV undercard where people could have great records but still be virtually unknown. That's not going to sell tickets of get buys on PPV.

For the fighters, they get more tv time than people that are actually fighting on PPVs. I could still pick out Rashad Evans or Forrest Griffin out of a crowd before I would be able to pick out Phil Baroni or Robbie Lawler or a Faber. That exposure will equate to more money in one way or another and if they're going to train anyway then why not do it on tv. With a World class MMA fighter at that. If they don't make it from the show then they'll have more offers from other promotions than they would have if they didn't do the show.

Gurry
06-11-2007, 12:10 AM
to summarize what everyone has said, its all the genius marketting work that the UFC does, that not only benefits the fighters a lot but the UFC aswell.