PDA

View Full Version : Hockey and Fighting ??

Punk Ass
05-16-2007, 10:58 PM
Now I am not a fan of Hockey by any means but what I don't understand is why is fighting legal??

This just doesn't make sense to me. I know it's legal until it goes to the ground, but that seems very barbaric and not needed. The game has rules and if a rule is broken (like a guy hitting someone with the stick) and a fight breaks out, that is understandable, but what the hell is the reason for fighting being legal?

The NFL might as well let the football players go at it, hell why not have B Ball throwdowns, I would love to see Shack vs Kobe lol.

warrior06
05-17-2007, 12:03 AM
I'm not a hockey expert. But i've been a fan for many years, especially after the LA Kings with the "Great One" made it to the Finals in 93.

But there is a long-standing tradition of fighting in hockey. Fighting offers the players to police themselves. If an opposing player throws a dirty body check on your best player, that may be grounds for a fight. In the playoffs, it is unlikely to see teams fight, usually only in the 1st game. Also, fighting on ice offers only arm punches, to balance and cause a season ending injury is unlikely. Remember they have fiberglass sticks, better two guys slug it out for a few seconds than whack each others heads off. I am sure there are a lot of other valid reasons why NHL allows fighting, but as I regress I have never seen a hockey fight in Olympic play. But the ice surface is bigger and you usually only play a team once or twice.

Like in a lot of sports, intimidation is a big part of it.
NBA is a bunch of primadonnas, always wanting a foul. I used to like basketball. They don't fight, they flagrant foul and chance ending careers, or a teams hope for championship. ala Horry's forearm shiver on Nash. Now thats ugly.

The NFL is a whole different creature. The game is founded on being physical, it doesnt take a fight to hurt someone.

I may be wrong but thats the way I see it, I'm open to discussion/persuasion.

Metalhead
05-17-2007, 12:17 AM
If NFL players had sticks I'm sure fights would break out. Stick swinging is much worse than fighting. If you take fighting out of hockey you're going to see a lot of stick work. If you watch European hockey or even College hockey, there's a lot of stick work.

The reason there's no fighting in Olympic Hockey is it's governed by IIHF which has a no fighting rule, but you also have the best plyaers in the world playing in the Olympics so why would they fight?

I play lacrosse which allows fighting, and its much better than swinging for a guys head with a stick.

Highlander
05-17-2007, 12:38 AM
How is is barbaric? We are all (or at least we should be) mma fans and Harlem, I know you're a big boxing fan, so how is this barbaric?

When fighters fight, it's over, they act like men and get on with it. It settles issues. It lets player know that they were out of line or if they have something against each other, they can fight each other. Fighting each other is a much better alternative than, throwing a baseball at another guy's head and have the dugouts cleared and all of them act like a bunch of bitchy women. It's better than a player sttomping their cleets on a downed opponent. It's better than racecar drivers trying to make his fellow driver crash and possibly kill him.

Harlem, I don't know if you meant to insult Hockey and its tradition, but if you're not a fan, then try to understand it, before calling it barbaric.

Punk Ass
05-17-2007, 12:52 AM
Honestly, I don't understand it much. I'm not trying to bash it, and didn't say anything disrespectful, but I didn't understand the need for fighting. As someone else has said though, if it keeps people from swinging for the fences with a stick at someones head I guess it's the better of both evils.

I personally would rather someone not take a swing at me for checking them too hard as I would find it very hard to forgive and wouldnt want to stop until I got a really good hit in any way possible so they understand not to ever do it again.

I just think a sport should be more about the skill and fighting is not sportsmanship. Unless it's prize fighting.

warrior06
05-17-2007, 01:06 AM
I hear ya Harlem.

But I disagree with your last comment.

"I just think a sport should be more about the skill and fighting is not sportsmanship."

There is a lot of skill, and even after a hockey fight there is sportsmanship. Its not like the big enforcer guy is fighting one of the weaker players on the opposing team. They jaw-jack, square off, drop the gloves, and in some cases even take off their helmets as to not injure their fists, a mutual sign of respect, then go at it.

Highlander
05-17-2007, 01:09 AM
I also want to add in that hockey is not as dirty as many other sports. When someone hits someone on the haed with a stick (Mcsorely hitting Brashear), it's not tolerated, the player gets suspended. If a player sucker punches another player from behind (Bertuzzi on Steve Moore), then that is not tolerated either and they will be suspended and cats with a dark shadow for the rest of their careers.

Highlander
05-17-2007, 01:13 AM
Honestly, I don't understand it much. I'm not trying to bash it, and didn't say anything disrespectful, but I didn't understand the need for fighting. As someone else has said though, if it keeps people from swinging for the fences with a stick at someones head I guess it's the better of both evils.

I personally would rather someone not take a swing at me for checking them too hard as I would find it very hard to forgive and wouldnt want to stop until I got a really good hit in any way possible so they understand not to ever do it again.

I just think a sport should be more about the skill and fighting is not sportsmanship. Unless it's prize fighting.

It's not like a player gets in a fight everytime he checks someone. If a player who got checked and starts a fight, then that player will instantly get 2 extra penalty minutes and possibly more. Hockey players have a lot of pride and almost always will not fight a guy much smaller than themselves because it makes them look like pussies. Trust me, if you watched it regularly, you'd see a pattern of why they fight and that there is reason for it.

Intellectual
05-17-2007, 01:41 AM
here's my input on NHL and fighting.

playing ice hockey is not easy, and the competition is intense. why do most hockey games end up with only 1 or 2 goals scored. it's not easy to win, and when checking gets out of hand, a fight results. it's part of the game. if the same player checked me numerous times, i would definitley drop the gloves and fight.

neonatural45
05-17-2007, 03:55 AM
Intimidation is a big part of the game. NHL teams often take guys for one purpose and that is to protect star players on there team. I pray to god that they dont remove fighting from hockey becuase alot of players are only in the NHL becuase of how tough they are, as opposed to their skill

Intellectual
05-17-2007, 08:08 AM
Intimidation is a big part of the game. NHL teams often take guys for one purpose and that is to protect star players on there team. I pray to god that they dont remove fighting from hockey becuase alot of players are only in the NHL becuase of how tough they are, as opposed to their skill

Tie Domi? :lmfao:

Highlander
05-17-2007, 08:13 AM
Tie Domi? :lmfao:

I always hated that fuck and I'm glad he retired.

Intellectual
05-17-2007, 08:27 AM

i never liked Pronger. great player but something about him that i dont remember really pissed me off.

remember Bertuzzi knocking out that one player. forgot his name but it was a brutal KO!

edit: found it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiLlz4-vUFg

fucking brutal. felt bad for Moore. i remember after this game, evertime Canucks came to the Staples Center, the fans would boo the hell out of Bertuzzi.

Intellectual
05-17-2007, 08:31 AM
a few NHL suspensions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=634nSML35AE&mode=related&search=

Domi elbowing Neidamayer was disgusting.

kickass32
05-17-2007, 08:40 AM
i never liked Pronger. great player but something about him that i dont remember really pissed me off.

remember Bertuzzi knocking out that one player. forgot his name but it was a brutal KO!

edit: found it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiLlz4-vUFg

fucking brutal. felt bad for Moore. i remember after this game, evertime Canucks came to the Staples Center, the fans would boo the hell out of Bertuzzi.

I am not defending Bertuzzi for what he did, cause it was wrong......BUT, most people forget, the game before that when Vancouver and Colorado played, Moore took a cheap shot at Markus Naslund (Vancouver's best player) and took him out, I think Naslund missed 3 or 4 games because of Moore's cheap shot.
And there is a code in the NHL that says you take out a teams best player, the next time you play that team, you man-up, take the consequences and fight the teams enforcer...........Bertuzzi, was trying to get at Moore all game, and Moore played the role of pussy and neglected to Man-up, and he ran from Bertuzzi all game........finally Bertuzzi had the chance, face to face, and Moore still wouldn't drop the gloves, and Bertuzzi suckered him.
Let's not forget, that the broken neck may very well have happened from the 4 Avalanche players who jumped onto Bertuzzi and all of them onto Moore's back/neck,.

kickass32
05-17-2007, 08:46 AM
Now I am not a fan of Hockey by any means but what I don't understand is why is fighting legal??

This just doesn't make sense to me. I know it's legal until it goes to the ground, but that seems very barbaric and not needed. The game has rules and if a rule is broken (like a guy hitting someone with the stick) and a fight breaks out, that is understandable, but what the hell is the reason for fighting being legal?

The NFL might as well let the football players go at it, hell why not have B Ball throwdowns, I would love to see Shack vs Kobe lol.

Actually fighting, like tripping, or elbowing, etc.. is illegal....fighting earns you a minimum of a 5 minute penalty.

Like others have said, it is a way for the players to police themselves. Steve Yzerman rarely got touched when Bob Probert was a red wing...why, because Probie would pound anyone who did.
When you have guys like Ulf Samuelsson, Fetisov, Marchment, Claude Lemieux, steve Avery etc........around, who will stop at nothing to attempt to injure other players, if you took the fighting out of the game, these, aforementioned pussies would reek havoc.........sticks would be carried up around the heads and there would certainly be more serious injuries than there is.

kickass32
05-17-2007, 08:49 AM

Have you been reading about Tie Dummies nasty, messy divorce??

Cheating on his wife with Belinda Stronach........physical and verbal abuse of his ex-wife......withholding money from his ex and his kids, telling everyone who will listen he is broke.........what a fucking tool!!!!!!!

Punk Ass
05-17-2007, 02:27 PM
I'm suprised people dont get killed after some of those cheap shots, those were really brutal. Personally, I think if more black people were involved, people would be getting shot. I'm black so im not being racist, but i've seen crazy stuff go down at High School B Ball games for lessor reasons.

Intellectual
05-17-2007, 07:42 PM
I am not defending Bertuzzi for what he did, cause it was wrong......BUT, most people forget, the game before that when Vancouver and Colorado played, Moore took a cheap shot at Markus Naslund (Vancouver's best player) and took him out, I think Naslund missed 3 or 4 games because of Moore's cheap shot.
And there is a code in the NHL that says you take out a teams best player, the next time you play that team, you man-up, take the consequences and fight the teams enforcer...........Bertuzzi, was trying to get at Moore all game, and Moore played the role of pussy and neglected to Man-up, and he ran from Bertuzzi all game........finally Bertuzzi had the chance, face to face, and Moore still wouldn't drop the gloves, and Bertuzzi suckered him.
Let's not forget, that the broken neck may very well have happened from the 4 Avalanche players who jumped onto Bertuzzi and all of them onto Moore's back/neck,.

yea i remember what Moore did to Naslund. Naslund was bleeding on the ice, but no one was expecting a payback from Bertuzzi. You make a clear point about Bertuzzi's situation. i've always liked him as a player regardless of the incident, but looked real painful when Moore's face was just sliding down the ice with all those people on him.

i think the NHL needs more players like Lidstrom. humble with sick skills.

can you imagine Fedor playing hockey?

jesus christ

Highlander
05-17-2007, 09:40 PM

Was Moore being a pussy because he didn't want to fight, well kind of. He knew he would have got his ass kicked. I'm not a big guy, myself though, but I would fight anybody and I've never lost a fight.

The people who say Moore took a cheap shot are simply put: wrong. Naslund didn't see the hit coming, but Naslund had the puck. There was not 4 avalanche palyers who jumped on him, just Andrei Nikolishin and two Vancouver Canucks.

Highlander
05-17-2007, 09:44 PM
a few NHL suspensions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=634nSML35AE&mode=related&search=

Domi elbowing Neidamayer was disgusting.

What a shock that they were showing that on an american network. Everytime I see american networks talking about hockey, it's negative, like that crap-show "Pardon the interruption".

Have you been reading about Tie Dummies nasty, messy divorce??

Cheating on his wife with Belinda Stronach........physical and verbal abuse of his ex-wife......withholding money from his ex and his kids, telling everyone who will listen he is broke.........what a fucking tool!!!!!!!

Yeah, I heard all about that.

NixHex
05-17-2007, 11:20 PM
Couple of my favorite hockey fight highlights... Anything with Joey Kocur, that man put people to sleep on hockey skates... and him and Bob Probert were nothing to be fucked with (they actually fought each other later on in their careers, rep if someone can give me a feed of that fight).

Best payback fight (going with the Bertuzzi/Naslund/Moore theme) is after Claude Lemiuex cheap shot Chris Draper causing terrible facial laserations, Darren McCarty beat the piss out of him. Lemiuex started to fight, but was getting fucked up so he turtled up... this is the only time i've seen a hockey player punching a turtled up fighter but Claude deserved it because he's a superprick. Also when Mike Vernon/Cris Osgood fought Patrick Roy (sorry God), for being much smaller than Roy both men did more than hold their own. Goalie fights are funny to watch.

Fights have got to be in hockey so people don't get carried away with their 5 foot stick, or razorsharp skates... it's a way to relieve all the tension that gets built up, and they handle it like men.

Highlander
05-18-2007, 06:18 AM
Vernon didn;t win, besides Roy was struggling with his equipment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGtntqyMUXw&NR=1

Roy landed a lot more shots, just because Osgood fell on top of him, doesn't mean he won.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl2xMXXOw4M&NR=1

kickass32
05-18-2007, 08:50 AM
Sorry God, but Osgood clearly won that fight with Roy.
Moore gave Naslund a nice lunging elbow to the head to start that whole rivalry.

Darren McCarty beating up Claude Lemieux made me an instant fan of McCarty.......that little rat Lemieux ranks right up there with Ulffy boy Samuelsson for the biggest cheap shot artists of our generation.
McCarty actually throws some knees to Lemieux in that fight too.

Metalhead
05-18-2007, 06:28 PM
I'm a Canucks fan but Bertuzzi had no right for the sucker punch. People forget that Vancouver and Colorado played a game between the Moore hit and the sucker punch. Vancouver was losing like 6-1 or somethign rediculous when Bertuzzi snapped. Also, people forget that Steve Moore fought Matt Cooke earlier in the game and that should have been it. Bertuzz is a dick. Also, if Moore's neck didn't break we wouldn't even remember the situation.

As for the suspensions for dirty play. You know, the NHL is very inconsistant when it comes to suspending players. Look at the Pronger hit a couple nights ago, that was as bad as the Bertuzzi's hit but it didnt' break the guys neck.

Back to fighting. Take fighting out of the game you're going to see more pussy players run around like an idiot and get away with cheap shit. ala Jarko Ruutu, SHawn Avery, Mathiew Barnaby and countless other chicken shits. If you cheap shit somebody in hockey, be prepared to defend your actions by dropping the gloves. Take figthing out there's no deterant.

The NFL is protecting quarterbacks nowadas by awarding a 15 yard penalty if you touch him after he throws the ball. If there was no penalty guys would take liberties on the quarter back and fights would break out all the time by the teams defending hitting their star players.

Back to they Olympics comment, there's no need to fight as you're the best players in the world playing for an Olympic Gold Medal. How many chances do you get an Olympic gold? Why risk putting your team short handed by fighting?

NixHex
05-18-2007, 06:55 PM
Vernon didn;t win, besides Roy was struggling with his equipment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGtntqyMUXw&NR=1

Roy landed a lot more shots, just because Osgood fell on top of him, doesn't mean he won.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl2xMXXOw4M&NR=1
Now, now Mr. God... you know Ozzy won that fight, he was gettin position to work some GnP at the end too for the TKO. The Vernon fight I was kinda joking even though he more than held his own. I like how Roy is like 6'3 and Vernon, Ozzy, & Hasek are all about 5'9 but Roy calls them all out and then has his hands full. I don't recall him fighting any of the other large goalies, but I haven't watched a shitload of his games to be honest (I hate the Avs). He's a great goalie, not a great fighter.

Who you guys got as a star of a team that's an underrated fighter? My pick Brendan Shanahan, hell of a scorer but not a man you'd want to fight with at all.. but he's not really considered a tough guy.

MetalHead, I threw up a little bit when my Wings signed that goon Bertuzzi. I know he's the power forward they thought they needed (Holmstrom, & Franzen say otherwise) but I hate seeing his ass in a Wings jersey when I watch their games... I still hate him, this is a first for me and a Wings player.

kickass32
05-18-2007, 07:26 PM
Well, in the day, you had Wendel Clark, Rick Tocchet, Cam Neely, eric Lindros, all some of the better players, and some of the best fighters.......today.ummm Jerome Iginla comes to mind, a very underated fighter.

As for Moore already fighting Matt Cooke...true, but Moore started all this with his cheap shot on Naslund..I'm sorry, but Moore doesn't get to choose who he fights, he can't go out and fight a below average fighter, and think he has payed his dues, sorry the code of the NHL doesn't work like that. You man up fight who the other team says you fight, take your punishment and move on.....Moore didn't do that. Now, having said that, i will say again, I am not condoneing what Bertuzzi did, cause it was wrong.

Metalhead
05-18-2007, 08:18 PM
As for Moore already fighting Matt Cooke...true, but Moore started all this with his cheap shot on Naslund..I'm sorry, but Moore doesn't get to choose who he fights, he can't go out and fight a below average fighter, and think he has payed his dues, sorry the code of the NHL doesn't work like that. You man up fight who the other team says you fight, take your punishment and move on.....Moore didn't do that. Now, having said that, i will say again, I am not condoneing what Bertuzzi did, cause it was wrong.

No, he did pay his dues. He manned up and fought like a man. Cooke challenege him, he accepted it's over. Dont' forget when he did hit Naslund there was a mayley after.

I seirously can't believe people are still saying it's Moore's fault. He honoured the code of hockey by fighting. Getting suckered by a bully isn't part of the code. Why should an average sized player have to fight a 6"3'' 250 pounder? Fighting a below average fighter, of course, Moore isnt' a fighter either. I can't believe in the talk shows around Vancouver, whenever this topic is brought up people still defend Bertuzzi and make Moore the bad guy. Like you.

By the way, Naslund put himself in a volnuarble position, he should keep his head up. You woulda hit him too don't even try to deny it.

I'm a canucks fan by the way.

Metalhead
05-18-2007, 08:20 PM
So when does Chris Pronger get sucker punched from behind?

NixHex
05-18-2007, 08:31 PM
So when does Chris Pronger get sucker punched from behind?
When he comes back probably lol... I hope so actually, I hate seeing either of them on the ice. Go Wings!

Highlander
05-18-2007, 10:47 PM
I honestly can't see how people can say that osgood won. Roy claerly won by landing more shots. Osgood fell on him, but didn't hit him with anything when they were on the ice.

BTW, Roy is not 6 foot 3, he's just 6 foot, although some places have him as 6 foot 1 and 6 foot 2. Vernon was 5 foot 9. Osgood was 5 foot 10.

Intellectual
05-19-2007, 04:06 AM
Roy was definitley landing more shots and was being more aggressive. Osgood didnt do bad, he played it smart when he landed on him.

kickass32
05-19-2007, 05:29 PM
No, he did pay his dues. He manned up and fought like a man. Cooke challenege him, he accepted it's over. Dont' forget when he did hit Naslund there was a mayley after.

I seirously can't believe people are still saying it's Moore's fault. He honoured the code of hockey by fighting. Getting suckered by a bully isn't part of the code. Why should an average sized player have to fight a 6"3'' 250 pounder? Fighting a below average fighter, of course, Moore isnt' a fighter either. I can't believe in the talk shows around Vancouver, whenever this topic is brought up people still defend Bertuzzi and make Moore the bad guy. Like you.

By the way, Naslund put himself in a volnuarble position, he should keep his head up. You woulda hit him too don't even try to deny it.

I'm a canucks fan by the way.

I never claimed it was MOORES fault...just stating there were circumstances around the event........and I'm sorry, you can't pick your own poison...fighting someone of Cooke's caliber isn't manning up.
And saying Naslund should keep his head up and deserved the lunging elbow to the head, is so much better than what your accusing me of......although I do believe your not reading properly, because I have stated twice I wasn't defending Bertuzzi, and I don't believe you'll ever find me saying Moore is a bad guy or was his fault.

kickass32
05-19-2007, 05:31 PM
I honestly can't see how people can say that osgood won. Roy claerly won by landing more shots. Osgood fell on him, but didn't hit him with anything when they were on the ice.

BTW, Roy is not 6 foot 3, he's just 6 foot, although some places have him as 6 foot 1 and 6 foot 2. Vernon was 5 foot 9. Osgood was 5 foot 10.
I was just busting your balls when I said Osgood CLEARLY won the fight.
It was pretty even though, and if I'm not mistaken, Roy was cut???
Anyways, that was THE rivalry in the NHL for a few years........

Highlander
05-20-2007, 12:15 AM
I was just busting your balls when I said Osgood CLEARLY won the fight.
It was pretty even though, and if I'm not mistaken, Roy was cut???
Anyways, that was THE rivalry in the NHL for a few years........

Yeah, but a cut doesn't mean the guy won the fight, it just means he cut him.

kickass32
05-20-2007, 12:19 AM
No, I'm not saying the cut means Roy lost, it just helps sway popular opinion a little.

Buffalo has gone bye bye now....lost to Ottawa 3-2 in O/T today........GO SENS

Highlander
05-20-2007, 12:35 AM
No, I'm not saying the cut means Roy lost, it just helps sway popular opinion a little.

Buffalo has gone bye bye now....lost to Ottawa 3-2 in O/T today........GO SENS

Yeah, but those people are the people that think a fighter loses a fight if he loses that last minute of the 15 minute fight.

Fuck yeah, for Ottawa.

kickass32
05-20-2007, 01:40 AM
Yes, I find it funny when 2 guys are fighting and 1 is eating punch after punch for 30 seconds, and then the other one grabs the pants and takes him down, and a lot of people think he won the fight........

neonatural45
05-20-2007, 03:27 AM
When did peter worrell retire? Was it just this year?

Highlander
05-20-2007, 05:30 AM
When did peter worrell retire? Was it just this year?

Did he retire? he sucked as a player and was over rated as a player, so no big loss.

neonatural45
05-20-2007, 06:08 AM
Did he retire? he sucked as a player and was over rated as a player, so no big loss.

I know lol. He was the first guy I could think of when I said "some players are only in the NHL becuase they are tough"

kickass32
05-21-2007, 06:08 PM
I know lol. He was the first guy I could think of when I said "some players are only in the NHL becuase they are tough"

Sandy McCarthy, Donald Brashear, Gino Odjick, John Kordic (RIP)
Cam Janssens, Wade Belak, Colton Orr, Andre Roy,
Just a few past and present who come to mind.

Metalhead
05-22-2007, 11:32 PM
Sandy McCarthy, Donald Brashear, Gino Odjick, John Kordic (RIP)
Cam Janssens, Wade Belak, Colton Orr, Andre Roy,
Just a few past and present who come to mind.

Come on, Gino Odjick was the man. He made Pavel Bure:grinsmile1:

Highlander
05-22-2007, 11:59 PM

Pavel Bure was actually in a fight? Are you sure it wasn't Valeri Bure?

kickass32
05-23-2007, 08:22 AM

Well, Gino did give Pavel some needed room out there, but he also handicapped them, always playing 5 on 4, because Gino wasn't a pass option out there.

Also, fuck, I forget his name now, but the guy Vancouver traded to Pittsburgh to get Markus Naslund....Stojanov...something like that I think....anyways, he was a great fighter, but man, maybe the worst hockey player ever......the Josh Haynes of hockey.....tough, but brutal!

SgtFrenchy
06-01-2007, 01:44 AM
Fighting can also change the momentum of a team that is not doing so well. It can really get a team going. Plus, I would go toe to toe with anyone before getting chop blocked by a 300 pound lineman.

SgtFrenchy
06-01-2007, 01:46 AM
:wavesmile: don't forget P.J. Stock. That little bastard could fight!

kickass32
06-01-2007, 02:07 AM
:wavesmile: don't forget P.J. Stock. That little bastard could fight!

Yeah Stock is a fricken gamer, he throws the hands about 100 mph

Kempistry
06-02-2007, 06:54 AM
I have a ton of memories of different fights that have happened over the years in hockey. If you understand hockey fighting then it is not that brutal/the most memorable fights are usually funny, such as goalie fights.

My absolute favourite is from 1988 when the entire Soviet and Canadian junior teams fought on the ice. At one point they turned out the lights to try and stop the fighting. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZMEE7tlq6A