PDA

View Full Version : Gatti on saturday

riggs
07-19-2006, 10:05 PM
Anybody else think this is gonna be an extremely exciting fight?

Luis Cruz
07-19-2006, 10:42 PM
yea this should be a really good fight. i'm still debating on dropping money on gatti but i probably won't since i'll be out that night and won't catch it until the next day, i don't like to be wondering if i won or not and i don't want to spoil it by reading what happened before watching it.

riggs
07-20-2006, 05:00 AM
I would say Gatti is a lock to win. He needs it to stay in contention. And by contention i mean Mayweather changes weight and he gets another shot. Gatti is one of the most exciting fighters out ther to watch, but as far as an elite fighter he is not. Whatever i look forward to Gatti fights more than most others!

Matt Boone
07-20-2006, 07:09 PM
I've never seen Baldomir, but I always enjoy a good Gatti fight. I'll definitely be watching. It's on regular HBO right?

Luis Cruz
07-20-2006, 08:14 PM
yup. baldomir is a warrior in his own right, this might not be an easy win for gatti like a lot of people think. baldomir rocked judah in their fight a couple of times and took some hard shots from judah and kept coming, don't let his ko record fool you.

Alvin
07-23-2006, 09:33 PM
Well I suppose that's the end of Gatti.

I couldn't understand his strategy in this fight. McGirt was telling him to box & not get involved with the crowd, when he did this he cruised the rounds. Then he decides to stand & give the crowd a highlight & get's rocked. He goes back to boxing & starts to win rounds again, then stands & slugs & get's KO'd.

I would have thought he'd have the experience to get away from a very one dimensional boxer like Baldomir (isn't he in Harry Potter!?), but it was crystal clear WW is too big for him.

If Gatti does hang up his gloves at least I've got the memory of his fights with Micky Ward. Best trilogy ever.

Luis Cruz
07-23-2006, 09:43 PM
well i guess my last post came true and everyone knows what i was talking about now with baldomir. lol

i did land up dropping money on gatti. it didn't matter what he did, even if he boxed baldomir kept beating him to the punch somehow. he had a couple good moments were his jabs were working for him. but the real reason he lost is simply because baldomirs iron chin. he got hit with punches that should've ko'd him on a few occassions and he walked right thru them. gatti fought a good fight but yea welterweight is too big for him. he should drop back to 140 and stay there or retire if he doesn't want to do that. i think he can still do well there since most guys moved up to 147. a cotto/gatti match would be quite entertaining at 140. he can still be champ in that division.

baldomir should be fighting hatton, they have the similiar styles and both take a good punch, baldomir a little better. but that would be fun to watch but i think baldomir would overwhelm hatton also because of the weight, hatton's a 140 fighter also that shouldn't be at 147.

margarito is still the uncrowned ww champ imo, EVERYONE is still ducking this guy and for good reason. mayweather can officially be marked as 'scared' being that he's going to land up fighting a lesser fighter than margarito for less than the 8 mil he would've gotten for that fight.

Alvin
07-23-2006, 09:55 PM
I had Gatti winning, barely, on my scorecard. Taking rd 6, 7 & 8, maybe being 2/3 rounds up.

I couldn't see Gatti KO'ing Baldomir, but he didn't have to to win the fight. Not taking anything away from Baldomir, but he doesn't look like the hardest puncher in the world & Gatti was making him look slow at times.

But I agree Hatton Vs Baldomir would be much the same as this fight. Hatton will just try to KO him & burn out within 5 rounds. Hatton Vs Gatti would have been an awesome fight cos they're roughly the same weight.

jmack123
07-24-2006, 01:09 AM
Do you seriously think Baldomir would KO Hatton. Gatti is way past it and has taken too many shots. Hatton would seriouly be a different proposition. Younger,fitter, better chin

Luis Cruz
07-24-2006, 03:16 AM
i don't think gatti was winning and i don't think anyone at ringside had him winning either, i'm not sure though. like i said it was more of baldomir's iron chin and resilence (sp?) that gave him problems plus being at a higher weight for only the 2nd time, i don't think it had anything to do with gatti being old. too many people think hatton has no power but he's like cotto, he has that constant connection that adds up later in the fight just like it did with judah. he said it yesterday, he use to only fight for money now he fights to actually be the best. hatton doesn't gas too quick and he is constantly busy throwing punches so i don't see hm gassing in 5 rounds against baldomir but i still see baldomir being to big and strong for him. he might not ko him but he would bully him and win a clear unanimous decision at 147. i'd still like to see it because it would be entertaining as hell.

manntis818
07-24-2006, 06:18 AM
gatti got his ass kicked i really like the man but he will retire

Alvin
07-24-2006, 05:50 PM
I just thought that Hatton looked out of his depth against Collazo.

I know he got the UD, but he didn't seem to carry the power he had at LWW.

Matt Boone
07-24-2006, 08:50 PM
I only watched the fight live one time and I had the WFA PPV on my computer going on at the same time so a few times my attention was distracted, but I don't see how anyone could think Gatti was winning or even in the fight. He had his moments, like Cruz said, where his boxing was working but he would abandon it or Baldomir would just take him out of that element by putting pressure on him, effectively. Baldomir is a bad little dude, a lot more legit than I would have thought. Only top fighters completely dominate Gatti like that, and that's what that was in my opinion - domination. Gatti was barely in the fight after the first round or so and certainly out of it once he hurt his wrist or whatever and started playing bounce-the-ass off the ropes. Nevertheless, the fight had moments where it looked like we were about to get Gatti-Ward IV only with a Argentenian or whatever that dude is version in the role of Micky Ward. Instead, he was too much for Gatti. Gatti is talking about retirement, but I hope he just moves back down in weight. I don't, however, think he should fight Cotto. I think Cotto would destroy him. I'd love to see a Gatti-Hatton fight though. Not because I think Gatti would win, although he could, but because with their styles if Gatti can last it would be an entertaining slugfest.