PDA

View Full Version : Taylor wants Trinidad...

Salvy_Mic
05-23-2007, 04:14 AM
....and it's absolutely disgusting!!
http://www.boxing2006.com/FightReport/2007/TaylorCampTalkingWithTito.htm

I've had it up to here with Jermain Taylor. As far as I'm concerned, he will never have any sort of respect from me unless his next fight is against the rightful #1 contender, Kelly Pavlik. It's bad enough that he's been making his career fighting guys who belong at either welterweight or jr. middleweight, but now he wants to fight a guy who's been retired for more than 2 years now. Financially, it makes sense because the money and the exposure will be huge, but ethically and competitively, it's just vomit-inducing. So by this, he robs Pavlik of his chance to dethrone the real, lineal champion at 160 on live, national television and make a huge name for himself and relegates Pavlik to fighting the WBC #2 contender for a vacant, nigh meaningless title on a Manny Pacquiao undercard come fall. Way to go Jermain :angrrry: .

SimpleJack
05-23-2007, 06:51 AM
Like I keep saying, Jermain Taylor is a paper champion and a punk. He will not risk fighting Pavlik or even Calzaghe because he only fights retired or about to retire fighters who are well out of their prime. (Wright 34, Hopkins 40, Joppy 34, Trinidad's 34, Marquez 34) And trust me, every one of them is well past their prime compared to a mid 20's fighter like Taylor who has only had 28 fights.

JimmyMoore
05-23-2007, 02:54 PM
Wait Wait.. lets not get carried away here. This is the same guy who fought Hopkins twice and THEN Winky, three fights in a row. Arguably the toughest three fight stretch of any current boxer. And save all that shit about them not being in their prime. Winky is in the top three of the majority of the P4P lists, and Hopkins completely dismantled De La Hoya, lost to Taylor twice, and then slapped Tarver around like an amateur for 12 rounds. I'd say he's still a pretty good boxer. Come on, after that, Taylor deserved a break. I am more than willing to cut him some slack for fighting Ouma (who is not an easy fight for anybody) and then Spinks. That's just two fights guys. And I've got news for you, Trinidad v. Taylor would be a damn entertaining fight. Of course I want to see him fight Pavlik, but to say he's not a true champion just because he delays one great fight, for a good fight and more money makes A LOT of fighters not true champions.

LebenTysonTank
05-23-2007, 02:59 PM
OMG....Joppy was a legitimate opponent for Taylor at the time,umm...Winky is at his best right now he isn't "past his prime"...this is what I call bias.B Hop is no worse then he ever was,why don't you watch the Tarver fight and tell me what...he wasnt in his prime when he lost to Taylor TWICE and then when he fought Tarver he came back into it?? Hopkins is still at the top of his game infact better then he was when he was young and he has said that himself,some fighters get better with age like Lennox Lewis. When Joe Calzaghe stops fighting Peter Manfredo beats B Hop,Winky or Tarver caliber fighters then call someone a punk.

SimpleJack
05-23-2007, 08:01 PM
We're just going to have do disagree on this. A. He didn't beat Wright. B. He didn't beat Hopkins. C. Joppy had lost 2 of his last 4 when they fought so the only legitimacy to him being a contender was that he had the WBA Middleweight title which isn't saying shit. D. Winky is still great, but a natural light middle and has been for 90% of his career. E. Hopkins beat Tarver, that's true, but did you see the shell of his former self Tarver was after gaining that weight for Rocky????? Please don't even bring him into this.

SimpleJack
05-23-2007, 08:03 PM
but to say he's not a true champion just because he delays one great fight, for a good fight and more money makes A LOT of fighters not true champions.
I agree with you 100% on this. That's why Hopkins is the greatest champion of our time.

Punk Ass
05-23-2007, 08:07 PM
OMG....Joppy was a legitimate opponent for Taylor at the time,umm...Winky is at his best right now he isn't "past his prime"...this is what I call bias.B Hop is no worse then he ever was,why don't you watch the Tarver fight and tell me what...he wasnt in his prime when he lost to Taylor TWICE and then when he fought Tarver he came back into it?? Hopkins is still at the top of his game infact better then he was when he was young and he has said that himself,some fighters get better with age like Lennox Lewis. When Joe Calzaghe stops fighting Peter Manfredo beats B Hop,Winky or Tarver caliber fighters then call someone a punk. Lol, fighters don't get better with age unless they're just hitting their 30s. B Hop is well past his prime which is why he lost to Taylor. Even RJJ doesn't think he's past his prime, in fact he says he was just not focused lol.

B Hop cleaned out the MW division in his prime(after he got his ass whooped by RJJ of course.) I just think you never seen him fight in his prime IMO. Niw I do agree, B Hop is still one of the best boxers today still, but he was better in his prime(that's why he made glen Johnson look like a bum, and Glen gave Tarver 2 damn good fights.) B Hops technique gives him longevity, not reflexes.

Anyhow, I would love to see a taylor vs Tito fight. It would generate the most money, and if anybody has enough power to effect taylor, it's Tito. And IMO he's a better boxer than Pavlik anyway. I don't think ring rust will be a factor for him IMO. I think he trains really hard for this fight and has the possiblity of winning it. Taylor is not known for his defense, but he does have Manny Steward in his corner and that does make a difference.

That would be a hell of a fight, and would make a Pavlik vs taylor fight much more money if Taylor beats Trinidad. I don't wanna see Trinidad fight Pav though, I think Pav would knock his block off, he's 2 damn big and strong IMO.

LebenTysonTank
05-23-2007, 08:26 PM
We're just going to have do disagree on this. A. He didn't beat Wright. B. He didn't beat Hopkins. C. Joppy had lost 2 of his last 4 when they fought so the only legitimacy to him being a contender was that he had the WBA Middleweight title which isn't saying shit. D. Winky is still great, but a natural light middle and has been for 90% of his career. E. Hopkins beat Tarver, that's true, but did you see the shell of his former self Tarver was after gaining that weight for Rocky????? Please don't even bring him into this.

ABCD and E...Wow...thats a lot of alphabet to have to explain why he isn't good. :) the facts are he DID beat Hopkins...TWICE,and I don't care what anyone says Hopkins is just as good as he ever was,who did he ever beat besides an UNDER WEIGHT De La Hoya and Trinidad?? Please tell me I don't have a point. I love Hopkins but I am not going to let that over rate him,because any time he is out worked IE Jones and Taylor he loses.Anyone that presses a fast pace that he has a hard time adjustng to, offsets him and BEATS him!!! If he didnt beat Winky,you cant say Winky beat him either,If Winky can thoroughly dominate fighters like Trinidad why cant he do it to JT? Because JT "sucks" and is a "paper champion?" And thats even after he fought Hopkins twice in a row...Hopkins or Winky havent fought a schedule like that.Im not trying to be confrontational but I insist on you admitting your wrong. :)

Punk Ass
05-23-2007, 08:52 PM
Tarver, that's true, but did you see the shell of his former self Tarver was after gaining that weight for Rocky????? Please don't even bring him into this.

What the fuck?? Tarver was always garbage compared to the world class fighters by boxing standards. Stop listening to the excuses fighters make about their bad performances. Glen Johnson gave Tarver a hell of a fight before he ever did Rocky, and Hopkins destroyed Glen Johnson easily. The whole LHW division was shit.

Tarver just fought a shell of RJJ and I give all praises due to Tarvers power, not his skill. Before he fought RJJ, he was a bum. Right place at the right time.

Dork8503
05-23-2007, 10:13 PM
Taylor is a bum

Tarver is a bum

SimpleJack
05-23-2007, 10:35 PM
I never said Tarver was good. I just stated that he wasn't the same fighter who took Jones to a decision and then knocked his block off. Not even close to the same fighter. Roy in his prime would have MURDERED Tarver and beat the hell out of Toney and Hopkins.

Salvy_Mic
05-24-2007, 12:38 AM
I still think Taylor's an ass for not fighting Pavlik, his rightful, deserving mandatory. He doesn't deserve big fights when he's failed to impress at all against his so-called easy opponents like Kassim Ouma and Cory Spinks. If Taylor beats Pavlik, then talks about a Trinidad fight won't upset me at all. For all his talk about looking, sounding, and fighting like a champion, Taylor sure hasn't been acting like one, and honestly, he hasn't been fighting like one either. If this fight does come around, I hope Trinidad smokes Taylor.

LebenTysonTank
05-24-2007, 12:32 PM
I hope Trinidad smokes Taylor.

Not gonna happen...not in a million years.Maybe when Taylor beats people that have fought at 130 135 and 147 then Taylor will get respect like Hopkins. :D When you say hasn't been fighting like a champion do you mean his caliber of opponents or when he actually fights.You have to remember JT is still a kid in this shit,and he beat all those guys with raw skill and he has yet to see his full potential.

JimmyMoore
05-24-2007, 03:36 PM
You have to remember JT is still a kid in this shit,and he beat all those guys with raw skill and he has yet to see his full potential.

100% accurate. I admit Taylor hasnt looked very good these last two fights, but remember he got where he is right now on pure natural ability. I say we give him a little more time to improve his technical ability before we start callin him a bum.

LebenTysonTank
05-24-2007, 06:10 PM
I still think Taylor's an ass for not fighting Pavlik, his rightful, deserving mandatory. He doesn't deserve big fights when he's failed to impress at all against his so-called easy opponents like Kassim Ouma and Cory Spinks. If Taylor beats Pavlik, then talks about a Trinidad fight won't upset me at all. For all his talk about looking, sounding, and fighting like a champion, Taylor sure hasn't been acting like one, and honestly, he hasn't been fighting like one either. If this fight does come around, I hope Trinidad smokes Taylor.

In the post fight when asked Pavlik didn't seem to sure that he wanted to fight Jermain just yet..did you not catch that?

Jermain_Taylor_Numba1_Fan
05-24-2007, 07:17 PM
Jermain Taylor aint no punk, and he will fight whoever he wants. He would destroy Pavlik, and thats a fact

Dork8503
05-24-2007, 07:34 PM
Jermain Taylor aint no punk, and he will fight whoever he wants. He would destroy Pavlik, and thats a fact

HAHA thats funny

LebenTysonTank
05-24-2007, 08:40 PM
lol is this don frye?

SimpleJack
05-24-2007, 09:39 PM
No no no. I'm right here. And I still think he's paper thin. If he BEATS some of the top guys who are still in their prime, I'll give the devil his due. I just hate it when guys get to the top the way he has.

Salvy_Mic
05-24-2007, 10:28 PM
I am not a Floyd Mayweather fan by any stretch of the imagaination, but when he first became champion at 130 and 135, he was dominant and he impressed everyone. In short, he showed that deserved to be a champion and left no doubt about it. How about Klitschko this time around? He's knocked out and dominated every one he's faced since he's won the title, and with the exception of Ray Austin, it's all been formidable opposition (Chris Byrd and Calvin Brock, with Lamon Brewster on the way). Mikkel Kessler has dominated guys since he's been champion. Juan Diaz, who is somewhat limited, blew out an excellent Acelino Freitas. Taylor, so far, has gotten by on the skin of his teeth in 4 of his last 5 matches. If he's half the boxer he's supposed to be, he'd be improving, but he's not. He's regressing. He looked better against the great Bernard Hopkins and against Winky Wright than he's looked lately against Ouma and Spinks, two guys he was supposed to dominate. So no, I'm not gonna take it easy on Taylor anymore. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt, I took time to watch the Spinks fight instead of turning it off after the Pavlik/Miranda fight to see if Taylor could show me something, and he didn't. If Taylor gets by Pavlik, in what should be a tough, close fight, I'll give him some respect. Until then, I have a low opinion of Jermain Taylor as a boxer, which is a shame, because he seems like he's a good guy away from the ring.

JimmyMoore
05-25-2007, 10:46 AM
Q&A with Emanuel Stewart on Jermain Taylor

Do you and Jermain Taylor have the chemistry for success?

Well, its a complicated question. One, hes fighting a different level of fighters than he was fighting before. He was fighting class C guys, cutting them up and so it was easy to do what he wanted to do. But now I think the fighters hes been put in with; I would never ever had any middleweight in history involved in those fights. No way! I would never. Tommy Hearns called me up when I got home on Sunday and said Man why are you guys putting this guy in with guys like that? You would never let me fought a guy like that. I said I know. I said I have no choice; Im not the manager in this case. But I was in your case. I would have never, never, never fought a Winky Wright. After coming thru two difficult fights with Bernard Hopkins and then to go to a guy like Winky with his hands up on his head. And he (Taylor) did all he could do. I mean, theres nothing to punch at so he just punched threw the gloves, hitting his gloves, he did all he could do to solve that. A lot of is that these are horrible opponents. Ray Leonard said the same thing. He said why are you guys putting them in there (with Taylor)? I would never fight those guys.

Do you think Taylor has a mental block from fighting all these tough opponents in a row?

No, I think a lot has to do with the opponents. I keep saying that. Corey Spinks, you make one step forward to get closer to him he pulls a step further away. Thats all he does all night. So when you do punch youve got to punch and try to run in all at the same time. And then he bends down real low so youve got to punch where you think his head might be. Youre not going to land two or three punches ever. I thought he could have done better with (Kassim) Ouma. But Winky Wright, youre not going to look good against.

Will you continue to work with Taylor?

Yes, Ill work with him. And Im really looking forward to working with him for his first right handed opponent.

What do you think will be next for him?

I think (Kelly) Pavlik. Its going to be a great fight. If hes not ready Pavlik is going to push him. Pavlik is a big guy unlike anybody hes fought. Hes going to put a lot of pressure on him. They fought in the amateurs in the Olympic trials and it was a very close fight.

How do you see that fight going down?

I see Jermain winning. I think hell look very good in this fight.

What about a fight with Calzaghe?

Im not interested about Calzaghe. Another left-hander? I mean its like weve got to find the most difficult fighters in the world, all left-handedIm not interested in Calzaghe at all.

Stylistically who would you like to see him fight next?

Kelly Pavlik, his number one contender. That will answers a lot of questions for me, to the public and everybody. Kellys a solid middleweight, bigger than Jermain. Hes a busy fighter and hes going to push him. And if hes got problems that he cant adjust to there wont be any excuse after that.

Punk Ass
05-25-2007, 11:43 AM
Q&A with Emanuel Stewart on Jermain Taylor

Do you and Jermain Taylor have the chemistry for success?

Well, its a complicated question. One, hes fighting a different level of fighters than he was fighting before. He was fighting class C guys, cutting them up and so it was easy to do what he wanted to do. But now I think the fighters hes been put in with; I would never ever had any middleweight in history involved in those fights. No way! I would never. Tommy Hearns called me up when I got home on Sunday and said Man why are you guys putting this guy in with guys like that? You would never let me fought a guy like that. I said I know. I said I have no choice; Im not the manager in this case. But I was in your case. I would have never, never, never fought a Winky Wright. After coming thru two difficult fights with Bernard Hopkins and then to go to a guy like Winky with his hands up on his head. And he (Taylor) did all he could do. I mean, theres nothing to punch at so he just punched threw the gloves, hitting his gloves, he did all he could do to solve that. A lot of is that these are horrible opponents. Ray Leonard said the same thing. He said why are you guys putting them in there (with Taylor)? I would never fight those guys.

Do you think Taylor has a mental block from fighting all these tough opponents in a row?

No, I think a lot has to do with the opponents. I keep saying that. Corey Spinks, you make one step forward to get closer to him he pulls a step further away. Thats all he does all night. So when you do punch youve got to punch and try to run in all at the same time. And then he bends down real low so youve got to punch where you think his head might be. Youre not going to land two or three punches ever. I thought he could have done better with (Kassim) Ouma. But Winky Wright, youre not going to look good against.

Will you continue to work with Taylor?

Yes, Ill work with him. And Im really looking forward to working with him for his first right handed opponent.

What do you think will be next for him?

I think (Kelly) Pavlik. Its going to be a great fight. If hes not ready Pavlik is going to push him. Pavlik is a big guy unlike anybody hes fought. Hes going to put a lot of pressure on him. They fought in the amateurs in the Olympic trials and it was a very close fight.

How do you see that fight going down?

I see Jermain winning. I think hell look very good in this fight.

What about a fight with Calzaghe?

Im not interested about Calzaghe. Another left-hander? I mean its like weve got to find the most difficult fighters in the world, all left-handedIm not interested in Calzaghe at all.

Stylistically who would you like to see him fight next?

Kelly Pavlik, his number one contender. That will answers a lot of questions for me, to the public and everybody. Kellys a solid middleweight, bigger than Jermain. Hes a busy fighter and hes going to push him. And if hes got problems that he cant adjust to there wont be any excuse after that.

Great read, and I agree. Just shows how boxing politics is and why so many old school fighters were marketed so well. Machmaking is very imprtant in boxing, but as of late, it's being exposed. Taylor really hasn't had a easy fight to display his skill. He has fought all the best fighters and and most difficult styles out there.

Dork8503
05-25-2007, 03:45 PM
Great read, and I agree. Just shows how boxing politics is and why so many old school fighters were marketed so well. Machmaking is very imprtant in boxing, but as of late, it's being exposed. Taylor really hasn't had a easy fight to display his skill. He has fought all the best fighters and and most difficult styles out there.

He has not fought the best fighters. Winky and Bhop yes but Ouma and Spinks best mw lol. He needs a fight with Kelly, an he needs to beat him badly before anyone takes him seriously.

Surprised no one is talking about the upcoming Roy jones fight

Punk Ass
05-25-2007, 08:09 PM
He has not fought the best fighters. Winky and Bhop yes but Ouma and Spinks best mw lol. He needs a fight with Kelly, an he needs to beat him badly before anyone takes him seriously.

Surprised no one is talking about the upcoming Roy jones fight

Jesus Christ Dork lol, I know you hate him but fighting B Hop twice in a row and Winky next is nothing to frown upon. Ouma was supposed to be an easy match but he is one of the best in his division and gave Taylor a good fight. Spinks is a hell of a fighter and a bad style match up for anybody. Not to mention he's the Junior Middle Weight Champion of the world (not just a title holder)

None of these fighters are cans and all are or were champions. He's had more quality fights than some people do in their whole career. The only problem is, he hasn't looked good fighting them.

JimmyMoore
05-25-2007, 09:28 PM
Jesus Christ Dork lol, I know you hate him but fighting B Hop twice in a row and Winky next is nothing to frown upon. Ouma was supposed to be an easy match but he is one of the best in his division and gave Taylor a good fight. Spinks is a hell of a fighter and a bad style match up for anybody. Not to mention he's the Junior Middle Weight Champion of the world (not just a title holder)

None of these fighters are cans and all are or were champions. He's had more quality fights than some people do in their whole career. The only problem is, he hasn't looked good fighting them.

Yes Sir.

Dork8503
05-25-2007, 11:06 PM

He shouldnt have fought Ouma or Spinks, Should have been fighting Kelly, or Miranda, or some other MW.

Salvy_Mic
05-26-2007, 10:47 AM
If his last two fights had been against any one of Edison Miranda, Kelly Pavlik, Javier Castillejo, Felix Sturm, or Arthur Abraham, we probably wouldn't be having this sort of thread. Still, it's Taylor's job to impress and win big, and he hasn't, so until he shows me otherwise, I'm not a fan of his.

orion_damage
05-28-2007, 04:57 PM
....and it's absolutely disgusting!!
http://www.boxing2006.com/FightReport/2007/TaylorCampTalkingWithTito.htm

I've had it up to here with Jermain Taylor. As far as I'm concerned, he will never have any sort of respect from me unless his next fight is against the rightful #1 contender, Kelly Pavlik. It's bad enough that he's been making his career fighting guys who belong at either welterweight or jr. middleweight, but now he wants to fight a guy who's been retired for more than 2 years now. Financially, it makes sense because the money and the exposure will be huge, but ethically and competitively, it's just vomit-inducing. So by this, he robs Pavlik of his chance to dethrone the real, lineal champion at 160 on live, national television and make a huge name for himself and relegates Pavlik to fighting the WBC #2 contender for a vacant, nigh meaningless title on a Manny Pacquiao undercard come fall. Way to go Jermain :angrrry: .

I'm from Arkansas so I'm suppose to really like this guy (hometown boy) but trust me, there's a lot of people here who are doin the preverbial turn the back and throw the middle finger up approach. Jermain deserves it he talks himself up and doesn't really win....he just plays safe to win a decision.

Basically the majority of the people here think he's a douche bag for his boxing "reign"

Dork8503
05-29-2007, 04:10 AM
next you no he will be wanting to fight Oscar or Floyd or Shane or even Pacman

Afro
05-30-2007, 06:43 PM
Miranda would beat Taylor

Salvy_Mic
05-31-2007, 02:04 AM
Miranda would beat Taylor
So would Pavlik, Wright, and Abraham at middleweight. At 168 he gets humiliated by Calzaghe and obliterated by Kessler. Listen, if Taylor gets backed up by a light hitting volume puncher like Kassim Ouma, he will definitely get backed up by a concussive hitting volume puncher like Edison Miranda. The last thing you do against Miranda is back up, all it does is get you knocked out. Winky Wright thoroughly outboxes Taylor, and Pavlik and Abraham are both more than capable of stopping Taylor, if not outboxing him as well.

Punk Ass
05-31-2007, 08:42 AM
So would Pavlik, Wright, and Abraham at middleweight. At 168 he gets humiliated by Calzaghe and obliterated by Kessler. Listen, if Taylor gets backed up by a light hitting volume puncher like Kassim Ouma, he will definitely get backed up by a concussive hitting volume puncher like Edison Miranda. The last thing you do against Miranda is back up, all it does is get you knocked out. Winky Wright thoroughly outboxes Taylor, and Pavlik and Abraham are both more than capable of stopping Taylor, if not outboxing him as well.

I wouild have to disagree with ya'll. I think he would find a way to beat them all. Maybe not flashy but I don't think he would lose. He gave B Hop and Winky all they could handle, win or lose.

Afro
05-31-2007, 09:00 AM
I wouild have to disagree with ya'll. I think he would find a way to beat them all. Maybe not flashy but I don't think he would lose. He gave B Hop and Winky all they could handle, win or lose.
I dont think he beat Winky at all, I wont argue the Bhop fights but Winky? he lost to Winky, but style-wise they are different fighters then Pavlik and Miranda, I would love to see Taylor fight two guys that are going to keep punching him, with a lot of power for 12 rounds.. Miranda isnt that good of a technical boxer, and I know he gassed in his last fight but if he bounces back well then he'll give Tarver fits, and Pavlik is a good technical boxer, similar style to Miranda and I think thats gonna give Taylor hell. Hes never been forced to back pedal in his fights with Bhop and Winky.

JimmyMoore
05-31-2007, 09:31 AM
Taylor has what it takes to beat all of those guys. If you can remember his earlier fights, Taylor has a fucking vicious jab. He also has the best trainer in the game who tells him to throw it in between EVERY round. IF he starts working that jab he's gonna stop anybody from tryin to walk him down, including anybody at 168. Whether he WILL do it remains to be seen. However, whatever you wanna say about him, Taylor does always find a way to get the job done - at least in the eyes of the judges. Hate him all you want, but dont dispute his ability to win big fights.

Punk Ass
05-31-2007, 10:09 AM
Taylor has what it takes to beat all of those guys. If you can remember his earlier fights, Taylor has a fucking vicious jab. He also has the best trainer in the game who tells him to throw it in between EVERY round. IF he starts working that jab he's gonna stop anybody from tryin to walk him down, including anybody at 168. Whether he WILL do it remains to be seen. However, whatever you wanna say about him, Taylor does always find a way to get the job done - at least in the eyes of the judges. Hate him all you want, but dont dispute his ability to win big fights.

Exactly

RedsquareBlackbox
06-17-2007, 03:11 AM
Man I can't wait to see Taylor knocked out.