PDA

View Full Version : 1.) Losing weight 2.) Jerky 3.) Medicine Ball

SumsNews
05-26-2007, 06:31 AM
To get the less elaborate question out of the way.. Is beef/pork jerky a good source of protein or a healthy choice for my diet? If so, are there any reccommended recipes, if not I have a few that I'm ready to try. Also other suggestions of fruit or vegetables that I could use in my dehydrator would be great too.

I weigh about 198, I used to wrestle 160. I know right? I've gained weight due to a short wrestling season and didn't run Track this year either. I did 2 fights for money and realized my skill and potential. I want to pursue this, so my goal is to reach 165 or so. I have 7/10 striking (Compared to what I see in the UFC) and great takedown defense (considering I've never been taken down recently *1 year*). I hope to condition myself more and lose plenty of fat to show my true talent and athleticism in fighting. My abs contain more fat that I like, I also have very noticeable obliques that I'd like to tone or at least flatten, along with my pectoral muscles which are somewhat flabby.

I was thinking about getting a medicine ball. They're somewhat expensive. I noticed one at Dicks like 12 lbs for nearly 40 dollars. It's almost not worth it for such little weight. But I'll assume it's mainly for cadio type exercising. Also, is there any type of videos or techniques you know of that can help improve my striking accuracing and depth perception?

Thanks!

Rufio
05-26-2007, 06:49 AM
I'd recommend getting 93% lean ground beef. It's great for protein but you have to get the 93% lean stuff if you want to eat beef while you're cutting fat.

You should probably check Adonis and Alwaysbelieve1's posts in this forum for info on top notch cardio.

Palma
05-26-2007, 10:06 AM
To get the less elaborate question out of the way.. Is beef/pork jerky a good source of protein or a healthy choice for my diet? If so, are there any reccommended recipes, if not I have a few that I'm ready to try. Also other suggestions of fruit or vegetables that I could use in my dehydrator would be great too.

I weigh about 198, I used to wrestle 160. I know right? I've gained weight due to a short wrestling season and didn't run Track this year either. I did 2 fights for money and realized my skill and potential. I want to pursue this, so my goal is to reach 165 or so. I have 7/10 striking (Compared to what I see in the UFC) and great takedown defense (considering I've never been taken down recently *1 year*). I hope to condition myself more and lose plenty of fat to show my true talent and athleticism in fighting. My abs contain more fat that I like, I also have very noticeable obliques that I'd like to tone or at least flatten, along with my pectoral muscles which are somewhat flabby.

I was thinking about getting a medicine ball. They're somewhat expensive. I noticed one at Dicks like 12 lbs for nearly 40 dollars. It's almost not worth it for such little weight. But I'll assume it's mainly for cadio type exercising. Also, is there any type of videos or techniques you know of that can help improve my striking accuracing and depth perception?

Thanks!

Jerky has way too much sodium. Try drinking protien shakes. GNC is a good resource. The best way to lose fat is cardio. Eat smaller portions less often and run as often as you can and I gaurante you will lose weight.

leejames1
05-26-2007, 11:42 AM
well i doubt im the ideal person to be giving advice, but i started at 290 lbs now im around 185 but if u wanna get rid of excess weight the best way is lots of cardio i currently run 6 miles a day, 6 times a week and im trying to get to 170 its not working for me but naturally im very big just out of interest how tall are u and build and things like that?

Rufio
05-26-2007, 09:02 PM
For cardio, it's best to do it in the morning (before you eat) and at least according to what I've read on a few forums, HIIT is the best for fast fat loss without losing much muscle. Adonis and Alwaysbelieve1 have posted on it before.

Generally, it's best to eat 6 meals a day around 300-350 calories each. I'd recommend a diet consisting mainly of:

Egg whites (just get a spatula and pluck the yolks out of the pan)
Chicken
Tuna
Salmon
93% lean ground beef (you can eat stuff like spaghetti or burgers, but keep your portions for a meal small and try not to eat them within a few hours of bed time, since complex carbs take awhile to digest)
Apples
Brown rice
Fat free cottage cheese (has some sugar so it's best right after a workout)
Fat free milk or 1% milk (same as cottage cheese)
Broccoli

Of course on days you're lifting (if you lift), you should take in more calories and you can afford to eat more carbs and fat. Hell, you need them to build muscle. The main thing is avoiding most simple/high glycemic carbs (basically sugars and a few other things) and saurated fat, while taking in 190 grams of protein a day, along with about 100-130 carbs and 30-ish grams of fat. A 2000 calorie diet made up of that kind of food along with cardio should get the fat off quickly.

Try to drink a gallon of water a day too. It really helps since water doesn't contain any calories, but it takes calories to digest it. The more water you drink the more calories you're using up.

leejames1
05-26-2007, 09:20 PM
cheers for that rufio i never knew that about water :) ill be drinking more water from now on!!

adonis
05-26-2007, 10:51 PM

Thanks!

Jerky is an excellent snack and wise addition to anyones diet. Yes it is high in sodium (usually), so it may need to be replaced by another protien sopurce closer to fight time to prevent water storage.

There is an excellent cookbook with an entire chapter dedicated to "Jerkies" available at http://www.thegardenofeatingdiet.com/

Over 600 veggie/fruit, and meat recipies.

As far as weight cutting you jsut need to follow a healthy diet with portion control and you'll loose weight. The med ball would be a waste IMO. A better option would be a couple dumbbells of varying weights, 10, 20, 30, 40 and a 50.

Metalhead
05-28-2007, 07:08 PM
A good website that I go to is www.menshealth.com and if you search hard on there you'll find foods that are actually good for you and they recommended this one brand of jerky.

SumsNews
05-30-2007, 12:42 AM
Thank you all for the replies. The medicine ball was intended for resistance during cardio workouts, along with resistance during crunches and other forms of exercise I have seen. I thought it would be a sufficient way to tone my body while I cut weight. What are the negatives of sodium btw? I am currently 5'9, 195 lbs.

earle
05-30-2007, 06:15 PM
I love med ball work, when I was in track we did tons of throws and abs. I would think for a fighter, med ball work would be beneficial, especially exercises that emphasize rotation or working across the body. The work gets tiring but it's still low intensity (compared to weights or plyometrics) so you can recover from it quickly.