PDA

View Full Version : Busted up, bad cardio & Feeling Down: Best to way to get up?

Steel
05-28-2007, 06:35 PM
Hey all,

I have come to love and trust this board thus I ask for your advice and help.

I've trained for the last 7 years..the first 4 were really hard. Then due to a huge lifestyle change (wife in hospital, tough pregnancy, injuries, financial difficulties ) I had to stop. Had asthma but it was under control as I was in good shape.

Now, I'm 36, still want to make myself better but man, I'm hurting. My knees ache and my cardio just plain sucks. I threw myself into martial arts when I was 29 and realize it may not be the best idea to do that again if I want to stay healthy long term.

What is the best way to get myself back on track? I do not even eat breakfast at this point which is just plain stupid, I know. I could use some solid input from real people that have maybe been in my situation.

Thanks in advance for your time and input.

Clint
05-28-2007, 08:27 PM
Naturally I've never been in your situation but here would be my advice:

* Fix up your diet. THat will improve how you feel and keep your whole family healthy. Check out the 7 habits of effective nutrition link in the stickies.

* Take a couple basic supplements: A multivitamin, Fish oils, 100% Creatine monohydrate, protein powders. If you want brand suggestions just ask

* Ease into some cardio. There should be a couch to 5K program in the stickies, try it out.

* Get good running shoes. This will help tremendously with shin (and some knee) pain. Go to a place that sells running shoes and have the people there help you find what will help the best.

Steel
05-28-2007, 11:35 PM
Thank you very much Clint..I have been reviewing the itens you mentioned and was out buying the running shoes earlier.

I cannot believe how much information this site and its admins offer.

Thanks you again!

Clint
05-29-2007, 12:11 AM
The running shoes should help alot. I'm flat footed, which caused a pronation (I think) when I run and they got me set up with shoes that help reduce it alot. I still avoid running on asphalt though.

Metalhead
05-29-2007, 12:55 PM
We can all throw ideas out your way but the best honest advice is that it's entirely up to you. Do you have the will power to change? it's all up to your mind and how you use it. We can't motivate you, you can motivate you.

Ubermensch
05-29-2007, 01:52 PM
Hey all,

I have come to love and trust this board thus I ask for your advice and help.

I've trained for the last 7 years..the first 4 were really hard. Then due to a huge lifestyle change (wife in hospital, tough pregnancy, injuries, financial difficulties ) I had to stop. Had asthma but it was under control as I was in good shape.

Now, I'm 36, still want to make myself better but man, I'm hurting. My knees ache and my cardio just plain sucks. I threw myself into martial arts when I was 29 and realize it may not be the best idea to do that again if I want to stay healthy long term.

What is the best way to get myself back on track? I do not even eat breakfast at this point which is just plain stupid, I know. I could use some solid input from real people that have maybe been in my situation.

Thanks in advance for your time and input.

I'm 35 so I have an idea of where you are at. First you Need to get your Diet down. You need Glucosamine and Amino acid supplements. The reason being is the Glucosamine will build up your tendon and joint strength can lube it if you get NuJoin by Knox Gelatin and the Amino's will help build back up your most of your tissues. If you can get L-Ornithine, L-Lysine and L-Arginine. The three make a complex that help you produce your own HGH which gradually reduces as you get older.

Now with your workout start with light weights and tons of reps....Hell you an do only resistant training at first if you are really bad off.

And as for cardio go on an elliptical machine start with only about 20 min and then work your way up to an hr. If you have to run on your bad knees get some knee braces and slowly go down in tension levels till your knees work up the strength to be able to handle the pressure of the stopping, Good running shoes will help. You should be able to work your way up to a athletic stocking and after that I would just keep using it to help the blood circulation of and older athlete.

Steel
05-29-2007, 04:38 PM
Thanks guys..my journey began today..I'll keep you posted.