10-09-2010, 10:26 AM
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Northern Ontario
| | Belfort: "The fight is February 5th"
"The Phenom" looks to again be called champion. |
Former UFC light heavyweight champion Vitor Belfort (19-8 MMA, 8-4 UFC) will indeed get his shot at UFC middleweight title holder Anderson Silva (27-4 MMA, 12-0 UFC), and it will come on Super Bowl weekend.
Belfort confirmed the long-rumored date while a guest on Friday's live edition of HDNet's "Inside MMA."
"The fight is definitely going to happen," Belfort said. "It's Feb. 5. It's going to be the fight in (Las) Vegas for the Super Bowl."
MMAjunkie.com has since confirmed with multiple sources close to the event that bout agreements have been distributed to both fighters and are expected to be finalized shortly.
While the Feb. 5 card has not yet been officially announced by UFC officials, the event is expected to take place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas and serve as UFC 127.
Belfort had been scheduled to fight Yushin Okami in the headliner of November's UFC 122 event and was initially rumored to have withdrawn from the fight due to injury. However, UFC president Dana White quickly shot down those rumors when he Tweeted the Brazilian contender was fine and would instead challenge Silva for the middleweight belt.
The title-challenger spot initially was designated for Chael Sonnen (25-11-1 MMA, 4-4 UFC), who dominated Silva for more than four rounds at UFC 117 before succumbing to a triangle choke in the final two minutes of the fight. Sonnen was on tap for an immediate rematch but failed his UFC 117 drug test. The colorful middleweight said he plans to appeal the decision, though the process could go well into 2011 before it's resolved.
Belfort had been promised a title shot first at UFC 108 in January and then at UFC 112 in April. However, an injury to Silva's elbow scratched the first meeting, and the second date went to Demian Maia after Belfort suffered a shoulder injury. Sonnen then earned his shot at the champ's belt with a dominant win over perennial contender Nate Marquardt at UFC 109.
Despite the tumultuous road to the title, Belfort insists he's ready to capitalize on the opportunity.
"It's like I'm set," Belfort said. "I'm set for one goal. I'm going to go there and get what belongs to me. The only thing I can do is go there and perform my best.
"I'm not worried if it's Anderson Silva, or if it's any other person in front of me. Whatever is in front of me is what's the most important thing for me right now. Anderson Silva is a great fighter, a great athlete. I've known him for a long time, and I know I have all the ability, but now, what I'm doing is doing my part. I'm training and putting my skills together."
Sounds like Belfort / Silva is set for UFC 127
Last edited by Leucoethiops; 10-09-2010 at 10:52 AM.