| || |
09-14-2012, 12:54 PM
Status: Leben 'em dead and maimed
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: BC, Canada
| | Dana White: Chael Sonnen in full camp, expecting UFC 152 fight with Jon Jones
Dana White: Chael Sonnen in full camp, expecting UFC 152 fight with Jon Jones
Dana White: Chael Sonnen in full camp, expecting UFC 152 fight with Jon Jones | MMAjunkie.com
According to UFC President Dana White, Sonnen is anticipating another last-minute change to next week's UFC 152 event, and the two-time middleweight title challenger is expecting to replace Vitor Belfort and take his shot at Jones' light heavyweight belt. |
"Chael Sonnen is in full training camp right now," White told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com). "He's been training since he got offered the Jones fight. He said, 'I'm in full camp right now because Vitor will get hurt and pull out, and it will be Jones vs. Sonnen, anyway."
UFC 152 takes place Sept. 22 at Air Canada Centre in Toronto. The evening's five-fight main card airs live on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook.
Jones, of course, was originally expected to face Dan Henderson in the headlining matchup of UFC 151. Henderson was forced to withdraw from the fight with a knee injury, and Sonnen was offered up as a replacement opponent on just eight days' notice. However, Jones declined the fight, and UFC officials ultimate elected to scratch the entire event.
Jones was then moved to UFC 152. He was originally expected to face Lyoto Machida, but "The Dragon" also turned down the fight, and Belfort stepped in to save the day.
Belfort, a former UFC heavyweight tournament winner and former UFC light heavyweight champion fights for the first time since a January win over Anthony Johnson in a 197-pound catchweight fight. He was expected to fight fellow "The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil" coach Wanderlei Silva at June's UFC 147 event, but a broken hand suffered in training led "The Phenom" to withdraw from the fight.
Sonnen is banking on a similar happening this time around.
Of course, if Belfort is able to step into the octagon as planned, the recently-shuffled UFC 153 event in Brazil takes place just three weeks later. That card recently received a few big-name replacements when original headliner Jose Aldo and co-feature fighter Quinton "Rampage" Jackson were each forced to withdraw.
Sonnen, of course, was expected to fight Anderson Silva in Brazil earlier this year, but logistical challenges moved the matchup to Las Vegas. Sonnen has long been an outspoken critic of Brazil and its people, and many observers pointed to potential security concerns should "The Gangster from West Linn, Oregon" make his way to Rio de Janeiro. At the time, White insisted there was no reason to worry, but things seem a little different this time around.
In short, Sonnen is not making his way to Brazil anytime soon.
"I don't want to bring him back to Brazil," White said. "I just don't. At the time we were going to do that, the Anderson fight, we could have really prepared for it and got ready for it and everything else.
"I just wouldn't bring him back down there. It just doesn't make sense. There's no need for it."
09-14-2012, 02:20 PM
Join Date: Jan 2010
Maybe Chael can solve this whole injury thing all by himself
Favourites- Fedor, Randy, the Nogs, Renzo, Bas, Hunt, Cormier, Lesnar, Cro Cop, Bam Bam Dewees, Cain, Hamill, JDS, Jennum, Matt Brown, Chael, Taktarov, Pat Barry, Brookins
| || |
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests) |
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:15 PM.
Quick Member Login
Top 5 Latest Threads
Latest MMA News