|Ramma ||04-29-2008 06:12 AM |
Gokhan Saki - "I can beat Badr Hari now"
GOKHAN SAKI believes he is ready to relieve Badr Hari of his K-1 heavyweight title after knocking out Paul Slowinski.
Many insiders and fight fans thought Slowinski would be too strong for Saki in a much-anticipated battle of the low kick merchants at the Amsterdam ArenA.
But crowd favourite Saki made the experts eat their words as he destroyed Slowinski with huge punches in the first round of their It's Showtime superfight.
And after polishing off Australia's Slowinski in double-quick time, the Team Golden Glory fighter repeated his desire to renew hostilities with Hari.
Saki suffered a retirement defeat to his Dutch countryman when they met earlier in their careers but insists it will be a different story if and when they meet again.
"This is my time - I think I can beat Badr Hari now, of course," Saki told Fightnewz.net.
"I told Japanese TV after the Slowinski fight that I want to fight against Badr Hari.
"I fought before against him four years ago at Ahoy in Rotterdam and lost with a rib injury.
"It wasn't broken but I wasn't 100% in my head. Now I'm 24 years old and I want to fight against everybody.
"I train really good and I'm too fast for Hari. That's what I think and I think I could knock him out. I've just knocked out Paul Slowinski, why not Badr Hari?"
Renowned as a fearsome kicker, Saki showed a new string to his bow as he floored 2007 European Grand Prix winner Slowinski with an overhand right, then repeated the trick with a savage left hook.
Slowinski somehow struggled to his feet a second time but referee Joop Ubeda waved the fight off with the Ernesto Hoost disciple lurching drunkenly.
The victory was Saki's 14th in a row and the spectacular manner of it came as no surpise to the man who has no doubt that he is going all the way to this year's K-1 Final.
"I said before I would win the fight. I trained really good and I knew before the fight I would win because I had a tactic and did my job," he said.
"I feel like I'm ready for more chances in Japan now, of course. This year is my year, I'm going to the last eight for sure, 100%."
Saki has plenty of business to attend to before then, with a bout against Englishman James McSweeney lined up first at Beast of the East in Zutphen on May 31.
Fighting on the same card as Saki's win over Slowinski, McSweeney was stopped in the first round of his K-1 tournament reserve fight by Brian Douwes.
Saki feels the Brit should look elsewhere for his next match rather than face him.
He added: "I don't think he will fight against me. He's a good guy and a nice guy but he doesn't have the experience.
"For me, I think it's better if he fights against someone who is in the beginning as a professional fighter."
Source - K-1: GOKHAN SAKI
I don't think Saki would make it out of the first round to be honest... definitely not the 2nd. I don't see what Saki is talking about when he says he is too fast for Badr.
|All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:10 AM. || |
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.