Reply to Thread

Post a reply to the thread: Dong Hyun Kim calls KO of Erick Silva 'luck,' apologizes for fence grab

Your Message

Click here to log in

What Is Georges St-Pierre's 3-Letter Nickname?

 
 

You may choose an icon for your message from this list

Additional Options

  • Will turn www.example.com into [URL]http://www.example.com[/URL].

HTML

Topic Review (Newest First)

  • 10-11-2013, 04:51 PM
    SimpleJack
    LOL......I just figured you would have an instant opinion on the cage comment.

    I think the cage is why wrestlers have been able to dominate the UFC over the years.
  • 10-11-2013, 04:38 PM
    Masscore
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    Yeah, I was aware of that.

    Pretty sure ADCC and most grappling tourneys start on the feet and award 2 points for takedown whether into guard or past guard.

    I was knocking on your door with my half-trolling and surprised it took you this long to chime in!!!
    Sorry, I will try to be more on it next time lol.
  • 10-11-2013, 04:29 PM
    SimpleJack
    Yeah, I was aware of that.

    Pretty sure ADCC and most grappling tourneys start on the feet and award 2 points for takedown whether into guard or past guard.

    I was knocking on your door with my half-trolling and surprised it took you this long to chime in!!!
  • 10-11-2013, 04:23 PM
    Masscore
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    Don't grappling tourneys even start standing?

    A takedown is earned. Therefore I see your point as being senseless.

    Standing is a neutral position and considering takedowns are figured into scoring, I would say there is no advantage at all.
    In a wrestling match in the 2nd and 3 period wrestlers get a choice of top, bottom or neutral. I do not know about BJJ.
  • 10-11-2013, 03:48 PM
    Fedorlei Gomipierre
    I'd like a yellow card/red card type dealy here, where the first fence grab draws a yellow and a warning and the second gets a red card and a point deduction.

    For me, there needs to be consistency in ruling here, because so many times, a guy like Yamasaki will literally give around 8 warnings throughout a fight without ever taking a point.
  • 10-11-2013, 03:37 PM
    SimpleJack
    Quote Originally Posted by SickNasty View Post
    In the spirit of healthy discussion, While I agree something needs to be done about fence grabbing, I think that the advantage the fence gives wrestlers is similar to the advantage given to strikers at the beginning of the fight as all fights start standing.
    Don't grappling tourneys even start standing?

    A takedown is earned. Therefore I see your point as being senseless.

    Standing is a neutral position and considering takedowns are figured into scoring, I would say there is no advantage at all.
  • 10-11-2013, 03:03 PM
    TN94z
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    My idea was always something along the lines of a 'foul'. The ref can call a foul on the guy who grabs the fence, stop the action, and basically award the takedown. They have to restart the action, and the ref has the authority to grant the fighter guard, half guard, side control, or whatever he thinks the takedown would have lead to.
    I like this idea! Really like it!
  • 10-11-2013, 02:50 PM
    SickNasty
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    Or just completely allow it and take away the inherent advantage grapplers have by using the fence as a tool.

    (I'm just being a dickhead here to spark some discussion about how the cage creates a disproportionate advantage for wrestlers)

    I actually really like the idea of immediately awarding the takedown and putting them in guard.
    In the spirit of healthy discussion, While I agree something needs to be done about fence grabbing, I think that the advantage the fence gives wrestlers is similar to the advantage given to strikers at the beginning of the fight as all fights start standing.
  • 10-11-2013, 02:44 PM
    Pasha K
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Brazilians are known for a few things.

    - ALWAYS grabbing the fence against ANYONE taking them down.
    - Complaining about an injury after the fact, or before, or if they won, or if they lost.
    - Not wanting to fight any other Brazilian...ever.
    You forgot another fact:

    - Plenty of them are among the best fighters in the world

    Why you have so much hate towards Brazilian fighters?
  • 10-11-2013, 12:29 PM
    Ramma
    ^ agreed, a fence grab should be penalized by your opponent getting a take down in guard. Watch how quickly fence grabs stop happening. Many fence grabs are just human reactions, but still.

    Considering Silva grabbed the fence earlier, it evens out tbh because both fighters were definitely going down on both grabs.

    Also, I wouldn't call it a lucky punch at all. Silva threw a stupid shot and Kim threw a good shot (and as the commentators said, while getting his head out of the way).

    Eyes closed, head down and swinging for the fences in a lucky shot. Then you're just throwing and praying. Kim threw a good punch while Silva threw a bad one. Simple as that.
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •