Reply to Thread

Post a reply to the thread: Franklin's workout

Your Message

Click here to log in

What Is Georges St-Pierre's 3-Letter Nickname?

 
 

You may choose an icon for your message from this list

Additional Options

  • Will turn www.example.com into [URL]http://www.example.com[/URL].

HTML

Topic Review (Newest First)

  • 07-17-2006, 09:43 PM
    Dsm634
    Quote Originally Posted by supermark21
    i dont use the preacher curl much at all. i always end up cheating and hunching my shoulders up. even when i go reasonably light
    Pussy. J/K I know how that goes.
  • 07-17-2006, 09:41 PM
    KnowledgeKnown

    one arm

    I love one arm preachers where I turn my body sideways. it helps to avoid cheating.
  • 07-17-2006, 09:39 PM
    Dsm634
    Quote Originally Posted by TN94z
    If I remember the name of the equipment I will post it up. It may be Hammer Strength, I'll have to check.
    It is, at least at the Gold's, X-Sport, and Powerhouse gyms by me.
  • 07-17-2006, 09:36 PM
    supermark21
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsm634
    When I do these I like to change the incline a little bit after every set. Good stuff.

    Another good one is to do one-arm dumbell curls on the preacher curl bench, but facing the wrong way so ur arm extends farther down (greater range of motion).
    i dont use the preacher curl much at all. i always end up cheating and hunching my shoulders up. even when i go reasonably light
  • 07-17-2006, 09:34 PM
    Dsm634
    Quote Originally Posted by supermark21
    for freeweight dumbell curls try laying on an incline bench like you would for a dumbell press. let your arms hang down and curl. it stops your momentum so u cant cheat
    When I do these I like to change the incline a little bit after every set. Good stuff.

    Another good one is to do one-arm dumbell curls on the preacher curl bench, but facing the wrong way so ur arm extends farther down (greater range of motion).
  • 07-17-2006, 09:22 PM
    Dsm634
    Quote Originally Posted by matto
    you can build more muscle with machines, u dont have to stabilize the weight and u can lift more, i can bench 320 on a smith machine but cannot do it with free weights because u have to stabilize it, its like that with most exersizes.
    Bullshit. There is a difference between building more muscle and being able to lift more weight. You won't be able to lift as much on a standard bar flat bench as you could on a smith machine, because it also utilizes your stabilizer muscles like dumbell presses, just not as much. As far as BUILDING muscle goes, I disagree that machines build muscle size/strength faster than freeweight/barbell from personal experience....using the latter recruits more muscle fibers and improves muscle growth.....but hey what do I know.

    I think changing things up frequently is important, but if I had to choose only one or the other it definitely would be free weights/bar. Sometimes I will do lighter lifts on machines after freeweights, but hey, different strokes for different folks.
  • 07-17-2006, 07:29 PM
    supermark21
    Quote Originally Posted by KnowledgeKnown
    I've always felt a combination of free weights and machines works very well. There are great reasons for both. Dumbbells are essential for me however I don't do alot of benching, pull ups are my favorite, but for biceps I also use macines to isolate the muscle. Biceps are sometimes hard to hit with free weights once you start to tire and lose your form.
    very true. i use machines aftter my freeweights. after the primary muscles are done. and for legs. i cant keep my form on squats.

    for freeweight dumbell curls try laying on an incline bench like you would for a dumbell press. let your arms hang down and curl. it stops your momentum so u cant cheat
  • 07-17-2006, 07:14 PM
    KnowledgeKnown

    both

    I've always felt a combination of free weights and machines works very well. There are great reasons for both. Dumbbells are essential for me however I don't do alot of benching, pull ups are my favorite, but for biceps I also use macines to isolate the muscle. Biceps are sometimes hard to hit with free weights once you start to tire and lose your form.
  • 07-17-2006, 06:57 PM
    supermark21
    Quote Originally Posted by TN94z
    I agree. He is not as interested in the weight as much as building his stamina. I forget the name of the machines but it is the same product that alot of the NFL teams use. I know that Gold's Gym has them. Anyway, they are as close to free weights on a machine as you can get. They have a pretty good range of motion but are not set in stone like most machines. And they isolate each side like dumbbells. That looks like some of the equipment he is using in the video. They are very good and they actually work the stabilizing muscles also. If I remember the name of the equipment I will post it up. It may be Hammer Strength, I'll have to check.
    he did come down from 205 and im sure he had to sacrifice a little muscle so he really cant afford to gain too much either.

    did he use alot of cable work? because those are similar to freeweights for the most part. thats the bowflex point of view
  • 07-17-2006, 03:55 PM
    TN94z
    I agree. He is not as interested in the weight as much as building his stamina. I forget the name of the machines but it is the same product that alot of the NFL teams use. I know that Gold's Gym has them. Anyway, they are as close to free weights on a machine as you can get. They have a pretty good range of motion but are not set in stone like most machines. And they isolate each side like dumbbells. That looks like some of the equipment he is using in the video. They are very good and they actually work the stabilizing muscles also. If I remember the name of the equipment I will post it up. It may be Hammer Strength, I'll have to check.
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •