Reply to Thread

Post a reply to the thread: CFZ's Seth Petruzelli vs Matt Hamill Oct 10th

Your Message

Click here to log in

What Is Georges St-Pierre's 3-Letter Nickname?

 
 

You may choose an icon for your message from this list

Additional Options

  • Will turn www.example.com into [URL]http://www.example.com[/URL].

HTML

Topic Review (Newest First)

  • 08-27-2006, 03:04 AM
    steelebone
    I've watched seth fight a lot and met him a couple times. He's a good guy. If Matt can stay out of subs he'll win this fight but I think he'll leave something out there at some point and get caught. Maybe that will be the best thing for him, a loss could teach him a thing or two. I don't think he has what other good wrestlers have had. ie Lindland, Couture, Henderson ect. All those guys had a little something more, I don't think Matt will be in the UFC for to long.
  • 08-27-2006, 12:04 AM
    matto
    seth is a great fighter and has great standup, matt hasnt faced anybody with his standup yeat, but matt could easily take him down by if it stays on the feet seth will win. i think that seth is training with militich now and matt is training with tito so they both should have excellent cardio and be in good shape, thats going to be a great ufn with tito vs. shamrock and seth vs. matt.
  • 08-26-2006, 11:22 PM
    Luis Cruz
    Quote Originally Posted by dagreat1
    Refer to my response to Afro for elaboration as I am not going to break it down again for you.

    Basically..... mediocre standup vs dominant wrestling. I was not impressed with Seth on TUF, I was not impressed with Matt either however his wrestling was very impressive and he has been training with Punishment so I expect him to have added more to his arsonal. Training is everything when 2 fighters are evenly matched in skill and please don't come back with a lame response like Seth has great takedown defense, etc... Matt will be able to get the fight to the ground, there is no doubt about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dagreat1
    Seth=mediocre standup and NO sub game (you claim his standup is good however I did not get that impression in his 2 TUF fights whcih he failed to finish).
    Thanks for clarifying something i already knew, you know nothing about Seth outside of TUF and looking up sherdog's fight finder. The only thing i'm sensing is you being a Seth hater for whatever reason (i could be wrong but that's what it seems to me). All this talk about what's bad about Seth and saying Matt's a better fighter when he hasn't proven NOTHING yet. Mediocre standup??? Did you watch him in K-1...no. Matt's wrestling was decent, not what i expected. I expected more from him especially after after almost a year with team punishment before he fought Forbes and he looked almost the same as he did when he fought Nickles a year prior to that. What makes you think he's going to come out like some overnight superman this time? His standup vs Seth's will be a HUGE disadvantage for him and he can get ko'd easily. Seth does train in BJJ and has been for a long time. Since you only watched TUF i'll use that, when did you notice Seth starting to lose...when he gassed, which i said was his weakness and a reason you didn't see his sub game. But again that was at Heavyweight, cutting to 205lbs might make a difference in that we'll have to see. Matt's cardio was also shit from what he showed in his fights. To call these guys even is ridiculous. Seth's standup is miles better than Matt's while Matt has the wrestling. But then Seth has the subs whether you want to believe in or not, Gracie Baha isn't a made up dojo. Then there's experience factor, Seth has been training mma for a while (martial arts since he was young) and aside from wrestling Matt just started at TUF 3, big difference. And don't ever expect a lame response from me or try and predict what i'm going to say, it won't help you any. I just stated facts here to your arguement which contained a bunch of assessments from watching tuf and 'ifs'. lol Can Matt win? Sure it's mma anything can happen, but is it a long shot.....yup.
  • 08-26-2006, 10:08 PM
    Afro
    The only thing I can see Matt doing is controlling the ground, I doubt he finishes Seth, he'll lose the standup game.. all he can do is keep takin him down thus why I see Seth winning the fight cuz he has a BJJ game, he can fight off his back, he'll beat Matt standing as well.
  • 08-26-2006, 10:05 PM
    dagreat1
    Quote Originally Posted by Afro Samurai

    And what do you mean Seth has no subs? he has a BJJ game.
    Yes as he immaculately exibited in his fight with Imes. His guard is shit and his sub game is shit as well.


    Quote Originally Posted by Afro Samurai
    4 wins by TKO as well and he doesnt have a standup game? im still not getting your logic here bro.
    4 cans.... 0-1, 1-4, 6-17 and 4-4. Those are cans, sorry.

    I never said Matt was not a can, he is just less of a can than Seth and will win the fight via GNP decision
  • 08-26-2006, 09:57 PM
    dagreat1
    Quote Originally Posted by Luis Cruz
    Have you seen any of his fights??? Just say no. Matt has 2 fights in mma and your entire argument was why Seth isn't any good but nothing on Matt?! His two losses in his first two fights and Brad Imes who would also beat Matt. Seth is more skilled than Matt, it's that simple.
    Refer to my response to Afro for elaboration as I am not going to break it down again for you.

    Basically..... mediocre standup vs dominant wrestling. I was not impressed with Seth on TUF, I was not impressed with Matt either however his wrestling was very impressive and he has been training with Punishment so I expect him to have added more to his arsonal. Training is everything when 2 fighters are evenly matched in skill and please don't come back with a lame response like Seth has great takedown defense, etc... Matt will be able to get the fight to the ground, there is no doubt about it.
  • 08-26-2006, 09:55 PM
    Afro
    when did I claim that Seths standup was good? its better then Matts!

    Brad Imes was a wrestler too

    Im sure Matt Hamill knows some subs, wrestling does teach you submissions

    Still, Seth was fighting heavyweights now hes fighting a LHW with an ok standup game if you want to be nice.. its not like he even tested his standup game in TUF! he was fighting guys with awful standup games too, now hes fighting a guy with a much better standup game then his.

    And what do you mean Seth has no subs? he has a BJJ game. 4 wins by TKO as well and he doesnt have a standup game? im still not getting your logic here bro.
  • 08-26-2006, 09:49 PM
    dagreat1
    Quote Originally Posted by Afro Samurai
    right because Matt has defeated someone good in MMA?? I dont get your logic on this.

    Imes strength is grapling.
    Allow me to eleborate...

    Imes game is Football, not grapling...

    Seth=mediocre standup and NO sub game (you claim his standup is good however I did not get that impression in his 2 TUF fights whcih he failed to finish).

    Matt=very close to a world class wrestler and sub par standup (No idea if he knows any subs)

    Therefore Matt Himil by decision.

    When Matt fights someone with subs he will get worked but against Seth he will be fine. This will also be Seth's ONLY UFC fight as he will be dropped afterwards.

    Matt will need to develop a better standup game and learn subs or his career in the UFC will be short as well. To me this matchup is more like fight night at the Roxy and I am not expecting much out of this match as far as talent though Matt will at least display some world class wrestling.
  • 08-26-2006, 09:49 PM
    Afro
    Quote Originally Posted by duran
    Real bad matchup for Hamill. I've only seen Seth fight on TUF, but his kicks were very good, esp. for a big guy. B+ for athleticism. On the other hand, I have tons of respect for guys who have the discipline to wrestle at a high level for 4 or 5 years while in college, but Hamill looks VERY easy to hit and his striking was flat out awful in the Forbes and Nickels fights. Everyone on the show was terrified of Hamill until they saw his standup against Nickels. Even though it's very interesting to see guys from different TUF shows fight each other, I like most of them and hate that one of them has to lose.
    I agree its not a good matchup for Matt

    I rather see Rashad Evans vs Matt Hamill even though I would be cheering for Rashad, and think Rashad would win.. I think it would be a better matchup then Seth vs Matt.
  • 08-26-2006, 09:48 PM
    duran
    Real bad matchup for Hamill. I've only seen Seth fight on TUF, but his kicks were very good, esp. for a big guy. B+ for athleticism. On the other hand, I have tons of respect for guys who have the discipline to wrestle at a high level for 4 or 5 years while in college, but Hamill looks VERY easy to hit and his striking was flat out awful in the Forbes and Nickels fights. Everyone on the show was terrified of Hamill until they saw his standup against Nickels. Even though it's very interesting to see guys from different TUF shows fight each other, I like most of them and hate that one of them has to lose.
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •