Reply to Thread

Post a reply to the thread: MIKE DOLCE: ALCOHOL MAKES ULTIMATE REALITY? Week 11 Blog

Your Message

Click here to log in

What Is Georges St-Pierre's 3-Letter Nickname?

 
 

You may choose an icon for your message from this list

Additional Options

  • Will turn www.example.com into [URL]http://www.example.com[/URL].

HTML

Topic Review (Newest First)

  • 06-18-2008, 03:23 PM
    rivethead
    Quote Originally Posted by sandywh View Post
    One of the bloggers, I forget who now, has already said that it's not shown, but 3 or 4 guys from the house were always inconspiculously absent from all the mayhem. The show never shows us this, but when you look back, the same guys are missing whenver stupid is happening. Those are good opportunities to tell us the guys that are doing it right...
    Dan Cramer. He's not one of the drunks, and thus gets zero time on the show.

    rh
  • 06-18-2008, 02:54 PM
    sandywh
    Its been somewhat touched on in a few posts, but there is a really good point to be made here.

    Although the drunken idiots are forced on us, and we see it, then we talk about it. I would like to see, since there is no way that they remove the alcohol, TUF do more in the way of promoting the guys that did it right.

    They did it with George Satiropolous. Showed how he would wake up on time, eat right, not drink, and pretty much seperate himself from the group. This should happen more often. Let the Jesse Taylors, Ross Pointons, Jeremy Mays, and others have their spotlight. It'll be the last time time they do. But show us guys that aren't behaving like idiots.

    One of the bloggers, I forget who now, has already said that it's not shown, but 3 or 4 guys from the house were always inconspiculously absent from all the mayhem. The show never shows us this, but when you look back, the same guys are missing whenver stupid is happening. Those are good opportunities to tell us the guys that are doing it right.

    I don't really have a problem keeping booze in the house. If the guys drink it, they drink it. If they get drunk, they get drunk. Its a reality show centered not around fighting, but the house. And that house has to have drama if its going to be good. They removed the booze in TUF2 and there was nothing of note that happened in the house, except dudes crying to go home. If they leave, good! But the alcohol does make for interesting TV, maybe not good TV, but interesting. But allowing for a fully stocked bar and beer just a pohone all away, and not a King James Bible is not cool. That's the same as sending a 18 year old cheerleader into a maximum security prison and locking her in. Sooner or later...........
  • 06-18-2008, 02:51 PM
    Clint
    Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    First, I think it's the producers of the show at fault. I can understand where reality television doesn't want people reading books or playing video games because they feel it's boring; but I feel the show could highlight actual training sessions and more than make up for it. So the mind-numbing boredom is the result of trying to make TUF into one of those MTV bullshit shows, and not showcasing what the show should actually be about.

    Second, I still blame the fighters. There's a difference between going off the wagon and getting completely shitfaced and wrecking the house. And while I understand most of them haven't developed a mental/emotional game yet, they've all seen the show before and see what idiots guys who wreck the house and get shitty look like. So unless they go into the show idolizing a trainwreck like that war machine guy they should be able to read the signs and avoid their own drama.

    I think the producers are 80% responsible for the lame drama, but I don't see the fighters as getting a free pass. Particularly because they've been fighters in just about every house that were mature enough for them to learn from.

    rh
    Agreed. I can't blame the guys if they want to have a beer and relax but getting loaded and pissing yourself should be frowned upon by everyone involved.

    Hell I say give the guys some little amenities and bring back the challenges if they need to fill in time
  • 06-18-2008, 02:38 PM
    rivethead
    Quote Originally Posted by da@LARGE View Post
    I don't feel like you can blame the fighters for drinking. The whole time they're in the house: 24 hours of their day is dominated by fighting. And they can't talk about the anxiety they feel, because then people on the forums would call them pussies.

    Very few of the fighters on TUF have trained full-time, so may not be in control of the mental side of pro fighting.

    I haven't had a drink in years, but if you combine mind-numbing boredom, the pressures of training and fighting in such a short time, and a bunch of free booze and I might even go off the wagon.
    First, I think it's the producers of the show at fault. I can understand where reality television doesn't want people reading books or playing video games because they feel it's boring; but I feel the show could highlight actual training sessions and more than make up for it. So the mind-numbing boredom is the result of trying to make TUF into one of those MTV bullshit shows, and not showcasing what the show should actually be about.

    Second, I still blame the fighters. There's a difference between going off the wagon and getting completely shitfaced and wrecking the house. And while I understand most of them haven't developed a mental/emotional game yet, they've all seen the show before and see what idiots guys who wreck the house and get shitty look like. So unless they go into the show idolizing a trainwreck like that war machine guy they should be able to read the signs and avoid their own drama.

    I think the producers are 80% responsible for the lame drama, but I don't see the fighters as getting a free pass. Particularly because they've been fighters in just about every house that were mature enough for them to learn from.

    rh
  • 06-18-2008, 05:19 AM
    da@LARGE
    Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    People who want to get into the UFC and potentially become champions?

    People who value a UFC contract more than $20 worth of jager and Natty Light?

    rh
    I don't feel like you can blame the fighters for drinking. The whole time they're in the house: 24 hours of their day is dominated by fighting. And they can't talk about the anxiety they feel, because then people on the forums would call them pussies.

    Very few of the fighters on TUF have trained full-time, so may not be in control of the mental side of pro fighting.

    I haven't had a drink in years, but if you combine mind-numbing boredom, the pressures of training and fighting in such a short time, and a bunch of free booze and I might even go off the wagon.
  • 06-17-2008, 08:14 PM
    strife
    To be honest, I don't think the better fighters on the show drink that much. You don't see Amir and CB drinking that much do you? What about Matt Brown? We only see Jessie make it as far as he has because of matchups, and I personally think it was bullshit that he wasn't fighting CB or Amir in the semis.
  • 06-17-2008, 04:09 PM
    rivethead
    Quote Originally Posted by jokerthief View Post
    It's interesting that you say this because it seems like there is an inverse relationship to the amount of drinking in a particular TUF season to the talent pool of the cast.

    Coincidence?
    I'd say that relationship has been found statistically valid in each season since the first.

    "If you can't beat 'em, down 'em."

    rh
  • 06-17-2008, 03:43 PM
    POINDEXTER
    Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    People who want to get into the UFC and potentially become champions?

    People who value a UFC contract more than $20 worth of jager and Natty Light?

    rh
    Exactly.
  • 06-17-2008, 03:38 PM
    jokerthief
    Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    People who want to get into the UFC and potentially become champions?

    People who value a UFC contract more than $20 worth of jager and Natty Light?

    rh
    It's interesting that you say this because it seems like there is an inverse relationship to the amount of drinking in a particular TUF season to the talent pool of the cast.

    Coincidence?
  • 06-17-2008, 03:07 PM
    rivethead
    Quote Originally Posted by dofking View Post
    To the ppl who think that it's the fighters responsibility not to drink as a fighter:


    Who the fuck denies free booze.

    Quote Originally Posted by jokerthief View Post
    Mormons?
    People who want to get into the UFC and potentially become champions?

    People who value a UFC contract more than $20 worth of jager and Natty Light?

    rh
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •