Reply to Thread

Post a reply to the thread: Jake Shields and Dana White Are Pissing Jon Fitch Off

Your Message

Click here to log in

What Is The Last Name Of UFC's Iceman?

 
 

You may choose an icon for your message from this list

Additional Options

  • Will turn www.example.com into [URL]http://www.example.com[/URL].

HTML

Topic Review (Newest First)

  • 10-19-2010, 06:46 AM
    goodtimes
    Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Georges isn't actually that big of a draw.

    rh
    How do you figure that btw? Looking at ppv sales, I think it's hard to argue that GSP is anything but the 2nd biggest draw in the UFC.

    I like the idea of Shields getting a title shot before Fitch, it actually shows that the UFC matchmakers value accomplishments outside of the UFC just as highly as those inside. I think over the past few years, Shields has a much more impressive resume then Fitch. I also think Shields has a better chance of beating GSP.
  • 10-19-2010, 06:35 AM
    Bones McGee
    Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Georges isn't actually that big of a draw.

    rh
    Arguing or agreeing with the quoted post?
  • 10-19-2010, 03:25 AM
    McTee
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    I was stating this based on the fact that Dana said the winner of Fitch/Alves would get the next shot. Then after the fight happened he backed of of his statement at the press conference. The only thing that changed in between him stating the winner getting the shot and the fight happening was the way in which Fitch won. He's gonna say it was because Fitch didn't want to fight Kos but why not cross that bridge when you get there. The smart thing would be to say Fitch gets the winner of Kos/GSP and if Kos wins then make Fitch decide. That way Fitch looks like the moron if he declines the shot.

    I was also aiming my statement at moronic fans who run around here acting like one fighter is better than another because he might finish more fights than another even though he also loses more.
    With the expanded explanation, your point seems to make sense. Your original statement sounded more like the people you can't stand than you maybe realized at the time.


    Now if you want me to break down your assessment division by division, here we go:

    LW. We all know there aren't going to be alot of finishes when the top 5 to 8 LWs are in there. You can't have a title that is not defended.

    WW. When Hardy got the shot the only other likely candidate was Fitch as Kos was 3 and 2 in his last 5 fights. And people were still saying Kos was better than Fitch because he was finishing fights.

    MW. Actually, Vitor was tabbed for the shot based off of KOing Franklin but had to back out of the fight due to injury. Who else was there besides Chael to throw in there? Maia just lost to Silva and Chael just beat Marquardt.
    Honestly, I wasn't looking for a response division by division, I only posted that way to keep my points organized and easier to make. The fact that Chael got the shot as a replacement for Vitor really is irrelevant when one makes a definitive statement that finishers get the title shots. Besides, I disagree that Vitor got the shot because he KO'd Franklin. Vitor got the shot because he got a WIN over Franklin, and he is one of only two fighters to beat Rich Franklin that convincingly within the last 5 years or so, the other being Silva, of course. I believe that if Vitor had gotten a UD over Franklin, he very easily could have gotten the shot. After all, the other option was Chael and his last 3 decisions, right?

    Also, you'll notice that Rashad Evans has decisioned Thiago Silva and Rampage in his last two fights, now he awaits Shogun's recovery.

    Anyways, I'm glad you explained the statement further so that it actually sounded like someone that knew what they were talking about.
  • 10-18-2010, 04:53 AM
    pantomime horse
    Kampmann may just make a GSP-Shields fight a more distant reality. Win or lose, I think Martin has the tools to give Jake a tough fight. Unlike Hendo, Kampmann has better standup and cardio. I'm thinking that we'll see Fitch get his shot either way.

    I'm not looking forward to Jon getting another shot, but he's earned it. Let's just get this over with.
  • 10-18-2010, 12:16 AM
    rivethead
    Quote Originally Posted by Bones McGee View Post
    Barely known to whom? Not the majority of UFC PPV buyers, while Fitch was destroyed by GSP in a bout those guys bought. I fail to see your logic if it was that easy to sell a GSP fight nowadays would he be on TUF trying to generate any form of interest in a fight with Kos?

    The Shields fight is currently the ONLY GSP match up that will sell itself.
    Georges isn't actually that big of a draw.

    rh
  • 10-17-2010, 11:08 PM
    Bones McGee
    Quote Originally Posted by BBG View Post
    This comes as Shields himself is barely known? GSP sells fights. It doesn't matter who he fights against.
    Barely known to whom? Not the majority of UFC PPV buyers, while Fitch was destroyed by GSP in a bout those guys bought. I fail to see your logic if it was that easy to sell a GSP fight nowadays would he be on TUF trying to generate any form of interest in a fight with Kos?

    The Shields fight is currently the ONLY GSP match up that will sell itself.
  • 10-17-2010, 07:17 PM
    rivethead
    Quote Originally Posted by LethalStriker View Post
    Isn't it kind of like Fitch is already believing that Koscheck is going to lose to GSP.

    Fitch says he wants to get the next shot but the next title shot would be fighting the winner of GSP/Koscheck 2 but Fitch has said multiple times he won't fight Koscheck.
    Fitch has said he'll move to MW if Koscheck wins the title.

    rh
  • 10-17-2010, 06:13 PM
    Mac
    Just for the record, the only problem I have with Shields getting a title shot at this point is that Fitch is there. I have no problem with a fighter getting a shot based on his credentials from outside the org.
  • 10-17-2010, 05:15 PM
    fishy
    I'm not really against Shields getting a title shot with only one win in the UFC, like Pashak posted before it's a trend in the UFC, even A Silva got his shot with a win over Leben and is considered to be one of the best champions UFC has ever had.

    Fitch is a lot better now since their first fight but nothing about his style shows me that he will change the outcome of a rematch with GSP, especially since GSP has also shown improvements in his game. Having a new title contender like Shields, should he beat the Hitman, with a more impressive streak than Fitch would definitely be a better suit for a WW title fight. But having said that, I agree with rh that if anyone other than Fitch or Shields get a title shot within the year would be great injustice.
  • 10-17-2010, 04:46 PM
    LethalStriker
    Isn't it kind of like Fitch is already believing that Koscheck is going to lose to GSP.

    Fitch says he wants to get the next shot but the next title shot would be fighting the winner of GSP/Koscheck 2 but Fitch has said multiple times he won't fight Koscheck.
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •