Reply to Thread

Post a reply to the thread: Rampage vs. Thiago Silva @ UFC 130

Your Message

Click here to log in

What Is Georges St-Pierre's 3-Letter Nickname?

 
 

You may choose an icon for your message from this list

Additional Options

  • Will turn www.example.com into [URL]http://www.example.com[/URL].

HTML

Topic Review (Newest First)

  • 01-11-2011, 07:33 AM
    grambino
    Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    I've got to agree with you here man. Vera still has some great stand-up, hence Silva taking this to the ground repeatedly, because he wasn't fairing too well. Vera still has some great skills and talents, but his commitment is questionable. I think the drawbacks to Vera's game are mental, not physical.
    He's definitely lacking some mental toughness and confidence. I believe he could and should get to 185.
  • 01-11-2011, 02:10 AM
    goodtimes
    Rampage's main weakness has been that his skillset has been too basic. His offense is basically his boxing skills and power. His defense is very strong, but its always the question of whether he will be able to put together enough offense to hurt his opponent. I don't think Silva has close to the same kind of movement as Machida or Evans, and I see Rampage being strong enough in the clinch to keep Silva from taking him down and being able to batter him on the feet.

    I also agree with some of the previous posters saying Vera is a worse match up for Rampage then Silva. It was just really surprising that Silva took him down so easily. Couture couldn't really take him down, and I would think Couture would have far superior takedowns. Vera was a very high level Greco-Roman wrestler at one time. I think his mind might just not be in the game anymore
  • 01-10-2011, 08:08 PM
    HillbillyDeluxe
    Quote Originally Posted by v3xi View Post
    I agree with RH when he says Vera would do better against Page then Thiago. Page has every ability Thiago has either outclassed or nullified. Vera has awesome kicks and Page's biggest stand up weakness is getting kicked, plus Page would just take the punishment for 3 rounds and never take Vera down. Vera would have a better chance for sure.
    I agree with you completely except the fact that Rampage hasnt gotten chopped down with Kicks since Forrest, so I think he's been training to check them better. He didnt look to bad vs Machida, a little slow but keep in mind he was just getting back into training and basically went in there with Rashad on just pure emotion and didnt have his mind back in fight mode. I think this fight vs Thiago Silva will show us that Rampage is back...I hope.
  • 01-10-2011, 07:03 PM
    v3xi
    I agree with RH when he says Vera would do better against Page then Thiago. Page has every ability Thiago has either outclassed or nullified. Vera has awesome kicks and Page's biggest stand up weakness is getting kicked, plus Page would just take the punishment for 3 rounds and never take Vera down. Vera would have a better chance for sure.
  • 01-09-2011, 01:53 PM
    Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    That makes absolutely no sense and I cant believe you just said that. Just because a fighter gets cut doesnt mean his skill set has diminished nor does it mean he couldn't match up better against another opponent.

    More importantly had he not gotten screwed in his fight against Couture we wouldnt be having this discussion right now about him being cut.
    I've got to agree with you here man. Vera still has some great stand-up, hence Silva taking this to the ground repeatedly, because he wasn't fairing too well. Vera still has some great skills and talents, but his commitment is questionable. I think the drawbacks to Vera's game are mental, not physical.
  • 01-09-2011, 10:27 AM
    pantomime horse
    Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    That makes absolutely no sense and I cant believe you just said that. Just because a fighter gets cut doesnt mean his skill set has diminished nor does it mean he couldn't match up better against another opponent.

    More importantly had he not gotten screwed in his fight against Couture we wouldnt be having this discussion right now about him being cut.
    Are you really all that impressed with either Couture or Vera in their boring fight?

    I'm guessing you are letting fandom get in the way of reality when it comes to Vera's current abilities and performances. Maybe you should set up a poll just to see how many actually believe Vera is relevant right now. He's won 3 of 9 since beating Frank Mir back in 2006. Not exactly a record that tells me he's the fighter you claim he is. Sorry.
  • 01-09-2011, 05:49 AM
    Pasha K
    This is an amazing match.
    It has potential to be really awesome.

    To be honest I was not impressed at all by Rampage´s last fights but I was very impressed with Thiago´s last fight so I think Silva is going to win this.
  • 01-09-2011, 04:26 AM
    Frawglike
    Wow ...

    Ok.

    I think Rampage vs Silva has the potential to be a very exciting fight .. if it doesn't make it past 1st Round. I really don't want to see the third round of mouth breathing that I have a feeling could happen if it makes it that far.

    I think Rampage is going to punch a hole through Silva's head Here's hoping I'm right!
  • 01-09-2011, 04:04 AM
    roaddawg
    Quote Originally Posted by pantomime horse View Post
    Vera just got cut. He's not been bringing anything for some time now. So, no strengths, really, and no arsenal to speak of.

    Anyone speaking about his muay thai is discussing a Brandon Vera of years past and not the current fighter we see today.
    That makes absolutely no sense and I cant believe you just said that. Just because a fighter gets cut doesnt mean his skill set has diminished nor does it mean he couldn't match up better against another opponent.

    More importantly had he not gotten screwed in his fight against Couture we wouldnt be having this discussion right now about him being cut.
  • 01-09-2011, 03:55 AM
    sproggy
    Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyDeluxe View Post
    1 fight doesnt define your striking capability. Just because Vera outstruck him that fight doesnt mean he's a better striker. How do you know that wasnt Thiago's plan all along? Alot of fighters say they are gonna stand and trade and then change it up last minute.

    Rampage has leg kicks of his own and he has been defending them better since the fight with Forrest if you havent noticed.
    1 fight might not always but when that one fight is between the two it kinda does. Even if his plan was to go for take downs it wouldn't of also included making the other guy look better than you in the standup.
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •