Reply to Thread

Post a reply to the thread: Chael on Anderson - "He's the greatest ever, I admire him, and the Brazilian fans."

Your Message

Click here to log in

What Is Georges St-Pierre's 3-Letter Nickname?

 
 

You may choose an icon for your message from this list

Additional Options

  • Will turn www.example.com into [URL]http://www.example.com[/URL].

HTML

Topic Review (Newest First)

  • 07-09-2012, 10:17 PM
    The_Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    Your anti-Silva bias is once again bleeding all over your posts. Silva was kicking ass before he even came to the UFC, and before he even fought Chael Sonnen.

    Considering Chael was a relative unknown If anything Sonnen owes him a thank you note for the same reasons you listed. Its the oldest trick in the book, find a high profile target, talk shit and attempt to use them as a stepping stone to elevate your status.

    Silva already broke UFC records meanwhile Chael was getting submitted by Maia. The only one Silva should be thanking is GOD first, his family and friends as well as his training camp. He can even thank the UFC for giving him an avenue to showcase his skills.

    Chael should thank the UFC for giving him multiple shots at the title because he could have been banned from the company for drug abuse like Nate Marq...
    What you are forgetting is that Silva's last fight before Chael 1 was Dameien Maia, you know the one where he played the air guitar and ran around the ring for 5 rounds...Dana was ready to give him the boot for a performance like that (or at least threatened to) Silva's PPV numbers were never great before Chael and this rematch will draw huge numbers for the UFC in PPV buys because of Chael finally getting Anderson to respond. Every Superman needs a Lex Luthor or Batman needs a Joker.
  • 07-09-2012, 03:53 PM
    roaddawg
    Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I don't know, really. Bones beat 4 top guys in a one-year period, which is unparalleled in modern combat sports, but I still think JDS has as strong of a resume, overall. Plus, he's not coming in with a freakish size advantage over the opponents he's facing.

    You could make an argument that Jones has done more, but I wouldn't say he's "way more impressive."


    He gave his opinion, you gave yours. I agree with his.

    rh
    and I disagree with yours. But... that is just my opinion.
  • 07-09-2012, 03:48 PM
    rivethead
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippin View Post
    Slow your row there.. Jones looks way more impressive than JDS IMO
    I don't know, really. Bones beat 4 top guys in a one-year period, which is unparalleled in modern combat sports, but I still think JDS has as strong of a resume, overall. Plus, he's not coming in with a freakish size advantage over the opponents he's facing.

    You could make an argument that Jones has done more, but I wouldn't say he's "way more impressive."

    Quote Originally Posted by Lesnar_FTW View Post
    Chael and Dana are wrong though, Fedor is still the greatest ever in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Y2JUBAE View Post
    He's the greatest HW, but not the greatest period.
    He gave his opinion, you gave yours. I agree with his.

    rh
  • 07-09-2012, 03:17 PM
    Kimbo> Rampage
    Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    Your anti-Silva bias is once again bleeding all over your posts. Silva was kicking ass before he even came to the UFC, and before he even fought Chael Sonnen.

    Considering Chael was a relative unknown If anything Sonnen owes him a thank you note for the same reasons you listed. Its the oldest trick in the book, find a high profile target, talk shit and attempt to use them as a stepping stone to elevate your status.

    Silva already broke UFC records meanwhile Chael was getting submitted by Maia. The only one Silva should be thanking is GOD first, his family and friends as well as his training camp. He can even thank the UFC for giving him an avenue to showcase his skills.
    Agree....

    Sure they both made a ton of money off of this fight, but Sonnen ran his mouth and has anderson to thank for his new found fame.

    dont forget about Segal as well!

  • 07-09-2012, 03:12 PM
    roaddawg
    Quote Originally Posted by Masscore View Post
    I think Silva needs to write Sonnen a really nice thank you note. Because of Sonnen, Silva is a much richer man today. He went from being a guy that was almost chased out of the UFC even though he was champion to being the most talked about fighter for the last two years. If it was not for Sonnen I doubt Silva would be in the position he is now.

    And I do not know about anyone else but I am down for a 3rd Sonnen v. Silva fight. It does not need to be tomorrow, it can be 2-3 years down the road. I doubt Silva will still be champion and Sonnen won't be a Top 10 MW but it would be a great swan song fight for Silva.
    Your anti-Silva bias is once again bleeding all over your posts. Silva was kicking ass before he even came to the UFC, and before he even fought Chael Sonnen.

    Considering Chael was a relative unknown If anything Sonnen owes him a thank you note for the same reasons you listed. Its the oldest trick in the book, find a high profile target, talk shit and attempt to use them as a stepping stone to elevate your status.

    Silva already broke UFC records meanwhile Chael was getting submitted by Maia. The only one Silva should be thanking is GOD first, his family and friends as well as his training camp. He can even thank the UFC for giving him an avenue to showcase his skills.

    Chael should thank the UFC for giving him multiple shots at the title because he could have been banned from the company for drug abuse like Nate Marq...
  • 07-09-2012, 02:55 PM
    Y2JUBAE
    Quote Originally Posted by Lesnar_FTW View Post
    Chael and Dana are wrong though, Fedor is still the greatest ever in my opinion.
    He's the greatest HW, but not the greatest period.
  • 07-09-2012, 08:15 AM
    tucker50
    Quote Originally Posted by singinkangaroooo View Post
    lol i never conisdered poopy pants anywhere near the level youre describing but i otherwise agree with the others.. just kinda shocked u listed him just because he was a champ
    I wasn't talking about Sylvia when he was the champ, people ragged on him pretty hard for most that time. I was talking about Sylvia back when he was 21-0 all by stoppage or something like that. Back before he fought Mir.
  • 07-09-2012, 04:05 AM
    Masscore
    I think Silva needs to write Sonnen a really nice thank you note. Because of Sonnen, Silva is a much richer man today. He went from being a guy that was almost chased out of the UFC even though he was champion to being the most talked about fighter for the last two years. If it was not for Sonnen I doubt Silva would be in the position he is now.

    And I do not know about anyone else but I am down for a 3rd Sonnen v. Silva fight. It does not need to be tomorrow, it can be 2-3 years down the road. I doubt Silva will still be champion and Sonnen won't be a Top 10 MW but it would be a great swan song fight for Silva.
  • 07-09-2012, 04:00 AM
    earle
    Well, I have to give Chael props for accepting defeat like a man this time.

    As for JDS and Bones, it remains to be seen if they'll ever pass Silva.

    We still haven't really seen JDS tested on the ground yet. Yeah, I know everybody says his BJJ is amazing, but we'll see what happens when he faces some real adversity from a top-pressure wrestler or BJJ expert (if they can get him down that is, lol). Not only that, but his streak could get stopped as soon as he faces Ubereem. Plus there's Werdum waiting in the wings, and there's no way that rematch goes down the same way as the first fight IMO.

    Bones is another story altogether, talk about cleaning out a division. Who in LHW is going to beat him? Hendo? Gustafsson? Glover?
  • 07-09-2012, 03:50 AM
    goodtimes
    Quote Originally Posted by tucker50 View Post
    People can think whatever they want about what JDS or Bones are going to accomplish in the next few years, but anyone who's been watching this sport for more than a few years knows there is a steady stream prospects who come through the ranks and build a huge bandwagon of fans. In the time I've been watching the UFC, I can remember Sylvia, Mir, Arlovski, Lesnar, Gonzaga, Vera, and Cain all being talked about in much the same way as JDS is now. None of them accomplished anything close to what Anderson has, nobody at HW has in the UFC. I would be shocked if JDS manages to get passes Werdum, Cain, and Overeem without a loss.

    Bones is maybe a different story, since nobody has ever really done what he has done. In the same breath though, usually the guys who dominate like Bones get figured out at some point. Shogun and Machida both were supposed to dominate for years but people figured out ways to beat them.

    What I'm saying is it's hard to really understand what Anderson has done in the UFC. 15 straight wins and 10 title defenses are both records that nobody has ever come close to. GSP who's been dominant for years has 6 defenses, Hughes has 7 split over 2 streaks. Those are the only 2 guys who got more than half as many as Anderson. The UFC has never had anyone like him, but there have been plenty of guys who got hyped like Bones and JDS but never delivered.
    Great post man, people really have to keep shit in perspective. Everyone hates on Anderson, saying he mostly fights cans and whatever, but the fact is he's beaten every single top 3 MW in the world who has come up in the past 5+ years. He didn't just beat them, he stopped them all within 2 rounds. And, he's mostly been consistent. He's had some adversity, he's had some shitty fights, but when he's on he fucks people up, and he does it in a way no one else can replicate.

    Really all it takes is 1 fight for a champs hype to come crashing down. Jones had an awesome opportunity to clear out a stable of high ranked LHW's in a short period of time, but he still does have a long way to go. JDS is still a brand new champ. He can easily lose the belt in his next fight. Velasquez could beat him in a rematch, Overeem can beat him, DC has all the tools. He hasn't come close to clearing out the HW's.

    Like you said, people have to separate hype from results. Also, I hope the fans can appreciate the beauty of how Silva fights, because I promise you guys no one will replicate it. There's only 1 Ali, RJJ, PBF, guys do not come along and steal their styles, because no one else can pull it off. No one else will be able to fight like Silva fights.


    Quote Originally Posted by VimyRidge View Post
    Silva is more a quantity than quality kind of guy. He is like the guy who picks up a different squank from the bar each weekend and brags about how many women he has scored with, but none of them are the kind of girls you would marry or even bring home to meet your parents.
    He has beaten EVERY SINGLE TOP 3 MW that has been around to fight. You're talking out of your ass.
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •