Reply to Thread

Post a reply to the thread: Hendo=Goat with UFC 151 win?

Your Message

Click here to log in

What Is Georges St-Pierre's 3-Letter Nickname?

 
 

You may choose an icon for your message from this list

Additional Options

  • Will turn www.example.com into [URL]http://www.example.com[/URL].

HTML

Topic Review (Newest First)

  • 08-23-2012, 07:25 PM
    grambino
    Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    How many successful title defenses did Fedor have again?

    Well I'd have to research it, but it seems like 11 or 12 title defenses in the midst of a 31 fight win streak.
  • 08-23-2012, 04:41 PM
    Lesnar_FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by grambino View Post
    Besides Hendo has he ever beaten a truly elite fighter? I can't think of one. Not trolling, just asking an honest question. I'd like to hear some opinions on this please.
    Hendo holds a more impressive resume of wins imo, but Anderson also has less losses while still fighting good fighters. It's more so that MW division is the weakest of all of the divisions imo.

    As for if Anderson has beaten truly elite fighters, I suppose it depends on what your opinion of elite is. I'd say beating Franklin in his prime twice, Belfort, and Sonnen twice is good.
  • 08-23-2012, 03:33 PM
    Kimbo> Rampage
    Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I've always had trouble ranking Georges and Anderson as the p4p elite that so many fans are eager to do so. They both possess phenomenal skill sets, but their routine size advantage has always troubled me. I still feel Penn did enough to win the first GSP bout, and that if size wasn't a factor he could beat Georges...and virtually nobody has BJ ranked top 10 p4p anymore.

    My feelings on p4p are very different from 99% of the fans I know. I've had people freak out when I told them I can't see how anyone would have ever ranked Fitch as top 50 p4p even at the height of his career...and I'm actually one of the biggest Fitch fans I know. I think for a lot of people, they just figure if a guy is winning and dana and rogaine like him, he's p4p elite.

    rh
    Guys like Hendo and BJ do deserve more respect for fighting bigger guys at the bigger weight classes... but as the sport progresses and evolves we are going to see far less of that... Dan makes some great fights at LHW but gets merked by guys like Jones and Machida. He will compete with the best at LHW, but not find the success he did at MW.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Honestly I haven't watched it in a while, I just remember thinking Hendo should have got the dec. I'll rewatch it when I get a chance and reply accordingly. On the flip side, I thought you could have given Franklin the dec over Hendo. But again, I haven't watched that fight in a while.
    Yes, Franklin could have gotten that nod, based on points. He also could have lost the fight with Murilo.
  • 08-23-2012, 03:24 PM
    rivethead
    Quote Originally Posted by rampage9712 View Post
    What do you think when GSP doesnt seem like he wants to fight Anderson... (Even though his opinion seems to change a lot, making it hard to really see what he thinks about that fight.)
    I've always had trouble ranking Georges and Anderson as the p4p elite that so many fans are eager to do so. They both possess phenomenal skill sets, but their routine size advantage has always troubled me. I still feel Penn did enough to win the first GSP bout, and that if size wasn't a factor he could beat Georges...and virtually nobody has BJ ranked top 10 p4p anymore.

    My feelings on p4p are very different from 99% of the fans I know. I've had people freak out when I told them I can't see how anyone would have ever ranked Fitch as top 50 p4p even at the height of his career...and I'm actually one of the biggest Fitch fans I know. I think for a lot of people, they just figure if a guy is winning and dana and rogaine like him, he's p4p elite.

    rh
  • 08-23-2012, 03:24 PM
    KevoOnTheRadio
    Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    Why do you feel he beat Page?
    Quote Originally Posted by rampage9712 View Post
    Care to explain? Did you actually score the rounds, or just watch the fight as a whole and determine that Dan won...

    It was a pretty clear 3-2 for page imo...
    Honestly I haven't watched it in a while, I just remember thinking Hendo should have got the dec. I'll rewatch it when I get a chance and reply accordingly. On the flip side, I thought you could have given Franklin the dec over Hendo. But again, I haven't watched that fight in a while.
  • 08-23-2012, 03:21 PM
    Hawkeye
    Quote Originally Posted by dbader08 View Post
    ...So you just decided not to address the fact that Hendo had a shitload of close fights that went his way?...Ok...

    Also, Fedor losing to bigfoot was a 220 pound guy losing to a guy who probably weighed close to 280 at fight time. Shoud I bring up the fact that after Dan lost to Lil Nog, Lil Nog went 1-2 in his next 2 fights including a brutal KO loss to Sokodjou?

    and guess how Shields won the 185 pound title that he defended against Shields? By guillotining Robbie Lawler...not exactly something to write home about.

    What's bullshit is calling a fight against Werdum a "nothing fight" because he doesn't have a title. Maybe if he would have just had to have beaten someone the calibre or Robbie Lawler, and not Overeem, it wouldn't have been so difficult. Plus the SF HW title situation was a joke anyways so your point is moot in that alone.

    Oh and there is one more gift decision that Dan had go his way that I forgot to include, his decision over Big Nog, who completely owned him in the rematch. Lil Nog also subbed him with ease. So yes, Hendo did knock out Fedor late in his career, but its easy to tell that early in their careers (pre Dan-Trt), Fedor was the one having much more success...

    and guess what...IT'S A DISCUSSION ON WHO IS THE BEST EVER. So of coarse I am going to include Fedor's name...and to me it's quite easy to tell that Fedor isn't as passionate about MMA as he used to be. He is someone who fought because he HAD to, because it was pretty much his only path in life, or at least by far the most lucrative. Once he became wealthy and started a family, his interest in fighting started to slowly decline imo. Yet Hendo is looking as good as ever and even better at the age of 41, and he takes TRT regularly. What a coincidence...
    A WIN IS A WIN IS A WIN. There i have adressed your concerns about close wins. and there are many..Just ask Ben Henderson. A win is a Win.

    Nobody told fedor to fight @ HW.
    Dan Cormier is not a massive HW and he put the wood to Bigfoot.
    So you love Fedor and thats fine, but you cant ignore the facts of the matches you brought up...Not the ones directly after, the ones you specifically used in your argument that he isnt worthy of anything, and they were the Sheilds, Jackson, and Silva fights. All 3 were title fights.

    You seem to very uneducated on what TRT actually does..Im 6'8, and a lean 280Lbs and lstill have ful muscle mass and size but and my doc wants me to take TRT because my body doesnt produce the level of testosterone that it once did and needs. I have never ever ever put shit in my body in my entire life (ie steroids of any kind) But im starting to run down...The reason nobody makes a fuss about hendo is because he is using it to stay at an active 41 year olds lifestyle, which is why he's never ever pissed over. guys taking it in their 20's (ie NM) yes its a performance enhancing drug. For dan its just to keep an active lifestyle. Clearly your still a young pup, buty wait till father time knocks on your door a little bit and see if you feel the same.

    H.

    H.
  • 08-23-2012, 03:09 PM
    Kimbo> Rampage
    Dan would have a phenomenal resume... He is clearly one of the best ever now, and it would only raise his stock. Beating Jones is as big of a win as you can get at this point in MMA. However this is very pointless question since he has little to no chance against Jones.

    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    although I feel he beat 'Page
    Care to explain? Did you actually score the rounds, or just watch the fight as a whole and determine that Dan won...

    It was a pretty clear 3-2 for page imo...

    Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Anderson has said he wants no part of Jones.

    For another indefineable subject, I think Anderson stating that he'll never fight Jones impacts my perspective of him p4p, and I don't even have Jones top 3.

    rh
    What do you think when GSP doesnt seem like he wants to fight Anderson... (Even though his opinion seems to change a lot, making it hard to really see what he thinks about that fight.)

    If Dan actually beats Jones, than there is something to be said. He certainly deserves some respect for stepping up... He wont beat Jon, so it doesnt really make a difference...

    than again if Herb Dean is in Dan's corner...I mean reffing the fight, he may have a shot.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    Few too many asterisks for my liking to say GOAT, maybe I'm just too incredulous for my own good, but his latter years surge leaves me with too many questions.

    Taken altogether: looking back at the "Decision Dan" era, the Anderson loss, the Nog Bros submissions, some razor thin wins and his current day gameplans(basically, go yard), I see too many negatives, and that's going before his Clemens-esque twilight dominance. I DO certainly think he's an "all-time great" with one of the most impressive resumes in MMA history, win or lose to Bones.... IMO, the column against his GOAT rating is too steep to ignore.

    BTW, Rickson Gracie is the one and only GOAT
    Agree.


    Similar to the Anderson-Sonnen 1 fight I would put an * next to Hendo's fight vs. Sheilds... but you still cannot discount the stylistic match-up completely...

    If Dan was to fight someone like Rashad Evans, he could easily be taken down to a UD loss.
  • 08-23-2012, 02:33 PM
    TBEAR
    Tank Abbot is clearly the GOAT...
















    ... if you dont believe me ask Steve Nomark (SPL?)
  • 08-23-2012, 01:55 PM
    Qball1974
    Quote Originally Posted by MIZJUDOZOU View Post
    Last time I will respond on this. Just because you are not here to make "friends" doesn't mean you have to be a dick. I asked you (in a serious ?) why he was cheap. You replied back fu.

    I like the different opinions on here.
    I Apologise the FU wasn't towards you. Was ment for people that use the ref stoping the fight for being an excuse for cheap shots.
  • 08-23-2012, 01:34 PM
    MIZjitsZOU
    Quote Originally Posted by Qball1974 View Post
    Why? because my opinion differs from yours?

    I knew I was going to take heat when I said it. Alot of Dan fans on this site and I don't agree with them.

    I'm not here to make friends or be anyone's buddy.
    Last time I will respond on this. Just because you are not here to make "friends" doesn't mean you have to be a dick. I asked you (in a serious ?) why he was cheap. You replied back fu.

    I like the different opinions on here.
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •