Reply to Thread

Post a reply to the thread: Nick Diaz is 'not impressed' with GSP

Your Message

Click here to log in

What Is Quinton Jackson's Nickname?

 
 

You may choose an icon for your message from this list

Additional Options

  • Will turn www.example.com into [URL]http://www.example.com[/URL].

HTML

Topic Review (Newest First)

  • 11-27-2012, 09:29 PM
    v3xi
    Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    Chasing dreams doesn't make you an idiot. Especially when you take into account many fans albeit mostly casual want to see these two fight. Even GSP wants the fight but somehow thinks Silva is going to drop to 170 at the age of 38.... I doubt it.
    Chasing dreams? More like chasing the easier superfight and chasing the cash that goes along with it. You've advocated a catchweight many times, and yet you are saying it is impossible for him to drop another 7.5 lbs? Maybe, just MAYBE, you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about and just hanging off Anderson's nuts?
  • 11-27-2012, 09:14 PM
    AnchorPunch
    Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    In all sincerity, I think he tests hot for juice within the next couple years. I think Penn is a crackpot about a lot of stuff, but I think he's actually accurate here. But maybe I'm being melodramatic.

    rh
    I've thought that about Rory too - tons of strength, bacne, existing rumors. But I think part of the good teams is helping guys use effectively - I know folks talk about steroid use like it's an individual matter, but people pull their knowledge and resources. I think he's probably got the right coaching to not get popped.

    Especially as there's a body of medical literature that fails to find any negative effects from lower levels of steroid use, closer to those used for recovery, I think there are a lot of health conscious, sport-science oriented guys who see it as perfectly fine.
  • 11-27-2012, 09:01 PM
    roaddawg
    Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Because people value melodrama more than actual matchups. Thus, sonnen gets a title shot at LHW without a single win, nobody tells Anderson he's an idiot for calling out WW's when there are valid bouts for him at MW, etc.

    rh
    Chasing dreams doesn't make you an idiot. Especially when you take into account many fans albeit mostly casual want to see these two fight. Even GSP wants the fight but somehow thinks Silva is going to drop to 170 at the age of 38.... I doubt it.

    I have a feeling Silva plans on retiring after his two fights are over regardless of him telling people he has another 5 years in him. Tito also said something similiar when he renewed his contract now look at him.

    If GSP vs Silva never happens I wouldn't be surprised if Silva ends up fighting Bisping or Rockhold.
  • 11-27-2012, 08:55 PM
    rivethead
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsteven View Post
    However you are wrong about nobody calling AS an idiot for it . The boards are littered with people (myself included)calling him an idiot an worse for exactly the reason you mentioned.
    I meant nobody who mattered, and I count myself among the people whose opinions mean nothing.

    I mean no reporter, no Joe Rogans, no dana whites, nobody in Silva's actual entourage.

    Your are also incorrect for suggesting that melodrama has little if ANYthing to do with a potential Rory/GSP matchup. They are two of the most drama free guys at WW right now and argueably two of the chillest guys in the UFC outside the cage.
    ...I'm not saying they are melodramatic, I'm saying the media thrives on it, there are tons of fans who want it, and the media tries to give it to them. Thus, people continue to watch that shit reality show in the hopes that someone's going to eat ejaculate this season. That kind of thing.

    The fact that Rory and Georges don't have a lot of drama in their lives already means that any crack in the armor is going to be something the media wants to exploit.

    Do really think that if my suggested scenario plays out-GSP beats Hendricks, Rory stomps Penn and Diaz, and the GSP matchup gets made-that it would be anywhere even remotely near the drama we routinely see with fighters like Sonnen ,JJ, AS, Penn , Rampage, Tito etc. ? Not even fucking close man.
    Again, you're way off track. I'm not saying Rory is melodramatic. I'm saying the media is looking for melodrama wherever they can find it.

    And that's why they're continuing to ask him now about a fight that's at least a year or two away...at best.

    Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    I think he'll be legitimately in the mix if he makes it past BJ. Two more after BJ if they're the right opponents would be fair IMO, one more if it was sellable seems likely for DW.

    Either way, I think a lot of folks see him as super talented and with GSP talking about a longer reign at 170, it does seem inevitable.
    Right, but there are several guys ahead of him right now, and it's a question he gets asked more than he does about his upcoming fights simply because it's melodramatic, and melodrama sells.

    In all sincerity, I think he tests hot for juice within the next couple years. I think Penn is a crackpot about a lot of stuff, but I think he's actually accurate here. But maybe I'm being melodramatic.

    rh
  • 11-27-2012, 08:16 PM
    AnchorPunch
    Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Because people value melodrama more than actual matchups. Thus, sonnen gets a title shot at LHW without a single win, nobody tells Anderson he's an idiot for calling out WW's when there are valid bouts for him at MW, etc.

    rh
    I think he'll be legitimately in the mix if he makes it past BJ. Two more after BJ if they're the right opponents would be fair IMO, one more if it was sellable seems likely for DW.

    Either way, I think a lot of folks see him as super talented and with GSP talking about a longer reign at 170, it does seem inevitable.
  • 11-27-2012, 06:20 PM
    sonofsteven
    Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Because people value melodrama more than actual matchups. Thus, sonnen gets a title shot at LHW without a single win, nobody tells Anderson he's an idiot for calling out WW's when there are valid bouts for him at MW, etc.

    rh
    I agree with you on people overvaluing melodrama and that that is the primary reason Sonnen is getting the shot he is getting. However you are wrong about nobody calling AS an idiot for it . The boards are littered with people (myself included)calling him an idiot an worse for exactly the reason you mentioned. Your are also incorrect for suggesting that melodrama has little if ANYthing to do with a potential Rory/GSP matchup. They are two of the most drama free guys at WW right now and argueably two of the chillest guys in the UFC outside the cage. Do really think that if my suggested scenario plays out-GSP beats Hendricks, Rory stomps Penn and Diaz, and the GSP matchup gets made-that it would be anywhere even remotely near the drama we routinely see with fighters like Sonnen ,JJ, AS, Penn , Rampage, Tito etc. ? Not even fucking close man. The ONLY melodrama factor that could come into play would be if Rory beat Penn and gets Big Diaz , then we would have to hear that mouth some more. Please present me with a string of events that would be more fun to watch and make more sense than what i have come up with. Cause there aren't many.
  • 11-27-2012, 01:37 PM
    rivethead
    Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Why do people still keep thinking Rory should be in a #1 contenders match when GSP is the champ?
    Because people value melodrama more than actual matchups. Thus, sonnen gets a title shot at LHW without a single win, nobody tells Anderson he's an idiot for calling out WW's when there are valid bouts for him at MW, etc.

    rh
  • 11-27-2012, 01:15 PM
    sonofsteven
    Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Why do people still keep thinking Rory should be in a #1 contenders match when GSP is the champ?
    Well first off he is a bit of a bad motherfucker and if he can get an impressive win over Penn(I say it will be one sided) he will have earned it regardless of who the champ is. Also because I continue to believe that if rory is given the shot he would accept it. I just see a desire to be champ in himthat won't let him turn it down. Could be wrong but thats my stance.
  • 11-27-2012, 09:03 AM
    Rise
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsteven View Post
    GSP vs Hendricks on the same card as Rory vs Diaz for num. 1 contender. This is assuming Rory beats Penn which i fully expect him to do.
    Ans A.Silva can !GASP! defend his belt as I believe the MW title pic will be a bit clearer over the next few months.
    Why do people still keep thinking Rory should be in a #1 contenders match when GSP is the champ?
  • 11-27-2012, 08:14 AM
    Sniggles
    Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Ladies, I'd prefer not to have to ban anyone or close this thread.

    sniggles, stop baiting dbader.
    dbader, stop rising to the bait.

    Both of you: Go to your rooms, and no sulking, or I'll take away your internets.

    rh
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •