Matt Brown herniates two discs, elects to withdraw from UFC on Fox 9 fight
RRiding an incredible 6-fight win streak, UFC Welterweight Matt Brown was expected to face off against former interim champion Carlos Condit at UFC on Fox 9. Rumors started going around Friday evening that Brown had suffered an injury in training and the bout was in jeopardy.
On Saturday, Bleacher Report reported that the injury rumors are true and Brown will not be fighting next week:
Sources close to the fight confirmed the news with Bleacher Report on Saturday morning. The possibility of Brown's withdrawal was first reported by Twitter user Front Row Brian on Friday, but our sources told us that Brown's decision to withdraw from the fight was not actually made until Saturday morning.
As of now, it's unknown whether or not a replacement will be made to keep Condit on the card. With such short notice, it will be hard to find a suitable opponent to step in.
UFC on Fox 9 is scheduled for Saturday in the Sleep Train Arena in Sacramento, CA.
UPDATE: Brown took to Twitter to confirm the injury and withdrawal from the fight:
Matthew Brown ✔ @IamTheImmortal
Thanks for the support guys. I regret to inform all that I am out of the fight with Condit. I herniated 2 discs in my lower back this week.
2:31 PM - 7 Dec 2013
Matt Brown injured, fight vs. Carlos Condit scrapped from UFC on FOX 9
Former UFC interim welterweight champion Carlos Condit (29-7 MMA, 6-3 UFC) will have to wait a while longer if he wants his wish, a fight with fellow contender Matt Brown (18-11 MMA, 11-5 UFC).
Brown is out of their fight at next week’s UFC on FOX 9 card with an injury, and sources close to the promotion on Saturday told MMAjunkie no replacement will be sought to meet Condit on the card. Brown on Saturday tweeted news of his injury, saying he has two herniated discs in his back.
UFC on FOX 9 takes place Dec. 14 at Sleep Train Arena in Sacramento, Calif. The main card airs on FOX following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and Facebook. Condit vs. Brown was set to be part of the main card. But it is not yet known what fight from the preliminary portion of the show will be elevated to get the main card back to the standard four fights for a FOX-broadcast show.
Condit is ranked No. 3 and Brown is No. 9 in the latest USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com MMA welterweight rankings.
Brown, once a middle-of-the-road welterweight, has reeled off six straight UFC wins and stopped five of his opponents via knockout. Brown’s past two appearances have also won him bonuses for “Fight of the Night” and “Knockout of the Night.”
After losing a title-unification bout to champ Georges St-Pierre at UFC 154, Condit then suffered a decision loss to top contender Johny Hendricks. But the former WEC champ, who won the UFC’s interim title with a victory over Nick Diaz, recently rebounded with a TKO victory over Martin Kampmann in UFC Fight Night 27′s headliner.
Condit earlier this fall told MMAjunkie Radio he’d like to fight the surging Brown. “He’s been on a tear, and it’d be really exciting for the fans,” Condit said.
With the cancelation, the latest UFC on FOX 9 card now includes:
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK this sucks!!!!!