Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: losing 20 pounds, 8% body fat

Hi guys, great information, but I was wondering where you would throw body weight/calisthenics in there?

I don't have access to a gym, so I'm stuck with the poor man's set up: pull up / dip station, some free weights and a deck of cards. Now, what I am doing at this point is warming up with about 150 jumping jacks (working my up to 500+...like Sensei John....) going to failure on pushup variations, dips, squats, burpees, etc. every other day. I've just started doing this about a week and a half ago, after a long hiatus, and my goal is to be able to go longer everyday...I am also going to start doing Arnis stick work everyday. I'm eventually going to work in the HIITs.

Diet wise...well...I guess at this point in my life style with work and the whole nine, any day without junk food is a good day...small multiple meals seem like a million miles away right now...

My goals are about the same as thread starter, so aside from improving diet, is their any other additions I can make (besides someone to light a fire under my ass everyday)?

Quote Originally Posted by adonis
    You could do both on the same day. But by splitting them up, you will be training more frequently. The frequency willl keep the metabolic furnace burning and you'll ahve aan elevated metabolism 24/7.
    Well ya I can uderstand that. I'm working out 5-7 days a week anyway usually 6 . It's been about a month and half sense i starred working out again, I'm really starting to get into it again. But through out highschool and college it was always a 24-7 job. With football in the fall, wrestling in winter and baseball in the spring and summer. lifted and did my cardio sameday. especially with football and wrestling. I'm 6'0 2605bs now, But i can say the best shape I was ever in I weighed about 195-205 with about 8-10 percent body fat my senior of highschool, I'm a stocky build. I'd like to get back to around 200-215 with in the next yr. But for vain reasons I'd like to get as low as I can in the next month.

I have another question, I have been getting bad muscle fatigue all week. What would be the main reason besides overtraining. Because I'm going lighter, I'm just getting back into it. A friend of mine said I might be eating to little espeically carbs after work outs. But I'm trying to make sure I'm getting all my carbs and sugers post workout. I'm eatomg about 6-8 times a day alot of protien chicken, red meat plus I love fish, But I can't figure it out. He suggested a multi vitaim which I'm starting to take. But what else can I do?

Quote Originally Posted by jwynne_4
    I have another question, I have been getting bad muscle fatigue all week. What would be the main reason besides overtraining. Because I'm going lighter, I'm just getting back into it. A friend of mine said I might be eating to little espeically carbs after work outs. But I'm trying to make sure I'm getting all my carbs and sugers post workout. I'm eatomg about 6-8 times a day alot of protien chicken, red meat plus I love fish, But I can't figure it out. He suggested a multi vitaim which I'm starting to take. But what else can I do?

Try some carbs pre-workout.

about the protein bars/drinks, i was under the impression you want a lot of protein when youre trying to build a lot of muscle, i am mainly just trying to tone up my upper body, and i eat chicken at least once a day

and i work out 6 days a week, if its my day off of work i go twice so i do cardio in the morning and lift later, its that ok?

I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

Quote Originally Posted by GetKnockedOut
    about the protein bars/drinks, i was under the impression you want a lot of protein when youre trying to build a lot of muscle, i am mainly just trying to tone up my upper body, and i eat chicken at least once a day

and i work out 6 days a week, if its my day off of work i go twice so i do cardio in the morning and lift later, its that ok?
    Sure. But try and get a nap between the training sessions. Wait around 4 hours (but no longer than 6hrs) and eat! Post training nutrition will be important.

what about the protein though? since im not really doing any heavy lifting do i need that much

I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

Cardio in the morning then lifting later in the day is fine. What's a waste of time IMO is doing them at the same time or doing cardio later in the day after you lifted. In order to build ANY muscle, you have to take in more calories than you expend in your workout. To burn fat, you have to use up more calories throughout the day than you take in. Personally, I seem to have MUCH faster results when I split the days, especially since you need to eat a lot more when you're trying to build muscle than when your aim is to burn fat.

You should still be getting 30-40% of your total caloric intake in the form of protein. Regardless of bulking or deiting.

From what I understand (and someone can correct me if I am wrong) protein helps your muscles heal, help you feal more full, and actually assist in the burning of calories. When doing your calorie intake for a day remember that 1 gram of protein and Carbs are 4 calories, Fat is 9 calories, and Alcohol is 7 (These numbers look right, but again correct me if I am wrong).

Protein helps you lose weight because it is good calories coming into your system. Protein is good :-)

I have used the HIIT before. That stuff gives you a killer workout. I dropped from 220 pounds to about 190 in 3 to 4 months. I did HIIT cardio workout and I formulated my weight workouts to be kind of like cardio. It was a circuit training workout where I took little to no rest between the differnt excercises. Took about a minute or two rest between circuits though.

From things I have read Squats and like excercises help burn tons of calories. This is because they work the iggest muscle group in the body, the legs. I dont recall the exact numbers but for every pound of lean muscle mass, you burn X (300?) more calories a day by doing nothing.

Thread Information