View Poll Results: Who win this match?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Franklin

12 63.16%
  • Baroni

7 36.84%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rich Franklin vs Phil Baroni (MW Division)

WadoKai Guest

Default Phil Baroni vs. Rich Franklin

Firstly, obviously anything Phil Baroni says should be taken with a grain of salt, but, with the recent talk from Baroni about a potential UFC middleweight return pending a win over Frank Shamrock @ Strikeforce; seeing Baroni and Franklin go toe to toe would be something of interest.

Given both their KO power, striking ability, and proclivity to keep a fight standing; I see this ending in a vicious KO.

While not on the technical striking level of Anderson Silva maybe, and definitely not as graceful or fluid on their feet. This would be a good match to see just because you know someone is going to end up unconscious.

I might catch a bit of heat for saying this, but I'd probably give it to Baroni; partly because the guy throws insanely fast flurries of punches, but mostly because I'd love to see him running around after a victory yelling "I'm the fuckin' best!!! I'm the best evah!!!" ... again.

Thoughts?

Haha this one would either be a slugfest, or a really boring fight depending on how Rich wanted to play it. Rich is a smart fighter, so if he didn't want to get into a street brawl type encounter, he would take it to the ground and absolutely dominate Baroni. Even on the feet, I think Franklin is a little too technical for Baroni, considering Phil likes to keep his chin up when he throws, and that would make a nice target for Ace. I think Rich takes this one via ground n pound stoppage similar to the ending of his fight with Shamrock.

Abashed the Devil stood and felt how awful goodness is...

WadoKai Guest

Yeah, and I'll rep you for being a little more realistic than I am.

I really just get a kick out of Baroni's antics when he wins. Rich really is the smarter fighter and the more technical striker. He'd probably lay back and pick his shot, and only need one or two to end it.

Last I remember, Phil's ground game was on par with my own; that being nearly none whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by WadoKai
    Yeah, and I'll rep you for being a little more realistic than I am.

I really just get a kick out of Baroni's antics when he wins. Rich really is the smarter fighter and the more technical striker. He'd probably lay back and pick his shot, and only need one or two to end it.

Last I remember, Phil's ground game was on par with my own; that being nearly none whatsoever.
    Haha yeah I like Baroni. He's entertaining...and I think this would be a good fight. Baroni is wild though, so I wouldn't count him out at all. He has great KO power, and could catch Rich but like I said I just think Rich is a little too smart for the ol' meat head.

Abashed the Devil stood and felt how awful goodness is...

WadoKai Guest

I think we'd see Rich comfortably choosing to sidestep and backpedal to pick his counterpunches. There'd really no be need for him to press the action. He'd let Baroni do it, and put him to sleep in the process.

Baroni's still got a puncher's chance; same as anyone.

Keep in mind, Baroni is "The best evah" and that he doesn't care who you are, if you're at 185, and you stand with him, "you're dead, you're fuckin dead."

Rich would make Phil look funny, but like you have mentioned Phil could knock Rich out but i just dont see it. Rich could take him down, gnp for a win, sub Phil for a win or just knock him out. Rich is to smart and to tech for the best eva.

i think rich by tko/ko

Phil can knock Rich out, in fact Rich would be smart not to stand with Baroni.
    "CB Dollaway made a bad decision and now he gets a 2nd chance to earn a victory tonight against CB Dollaway" - Mike Goldberg
    Fav MMA: Sudo, Stevenson, Shields, Kid, Werdum, Hendo, Rampage, Gomi, Sakurai, Okami, Penn, Kawajiri, Big Nogs

Fav Boxers: Sam Peter, RJJ, Pacman, Dawson, Frazier, Hatton, Winky Wright, Paul Williams, SSM, Miranda, Cotto, Linares

Warchief Guest

Phil by KO.

if Ace comes in with the same gameplan he had for Anderson, thats "underestimate all of his skills and training, try to be exciting, get face rearranged", Phil will knock him the fuck out

Ace had better take him down, because even though hes not a fantastic ground guy, its better than testing that iffy chin against someone whos got fuckin bricks for fists
    Favorites
    HW: Cro Cop | Barnett | Gonzaga
    LHW: Rampage| Shogun
    MW: KANG | Sakuraba | Spider Silva | Baroni | Akiyama
    WW: Thiago Alves | GSP | Mach
    LW: Gomi | BJ Penn | Aoki | Jamie Varner reppin' AZCS | DIDA
    FW: KID

9-7 in sig/av bets

Thread Information