Thread: documenting weight loss

Question documenting weight loss

I want to create some sort of documentation for tracking my weight loss. I want to take measurements of my body mass now then on a weekly or bi weekly basis continue to take measurement. I want to track my diet, weight training routine etc... My question's...

1) When taking measurements, where should I take them? I figure I should take them at the middle of my calf, my mid thigh, around my belly button, my lats and... I dont no where else? Or if I should take the measurements elsewhere. What is the best way to track these, I guess in what form of document. A spreadsheet? Does anyone have examples? Also, how often should I take the measurements?

2) Tracking ones diet. Would a spread sheet be best for this? I figure I could set one up where I can put down what I ate and at what meal. How many calories and havei t automatically calculate the amount of calories for the day. is there a better method of doing this? Any examples?

3) Weight program... I plan on using HIIT for my arobics aspect of it. For my weight portion doing a circuit type workout. Sooner or later I will post what my workout is going to be and how I am going to schedule it. I would like critques for when that happends. I guess the quesions I have now is what is the best way to track calories burned while excercising? I would like to setup a spreadsheet so I can take in the calories from meals and subtract the estimated amt of calories burned. So I could see what type of calories I am bringing in. Does this sound reasonable or just to much work and to much micro manageing sorta?

Well, thanks in advance for any input one can offer. I am more or less looking for suggesions. I just have to keep my willpower strong so I can drop some weight.

Hrmm, one last thing. What type of goals should I set? Should I set a body weight goal or a size goal or a time goal to hit said body weight? I am 210 pounds now and I would like to get around 170. That would be a long term goal.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Tick
    I want to create some sort of documentation for tracking my weight loss. I want to take measurements of my body mass now then on a weekly or bi weekly basis continue to take measurement. I want to track my diet, weight training routine etc... My question's...

1) When taking measurements, where should I take them? I figure I should take them at the middle of my calf, my mid thigh, around my belly button, my lats and... I dont no where else? Or if I should take the measurements elsewhere. What is the best way to track these, I guess in what form of document. A spreadsheet? Does anyone have examples? Also, how often should I take the measurements?

2) Tracking ones diet. Would a spread sheet be best for this? I figure I could set one up where I can put down what I ate and at what meal. How many calories and havei t automatically calculate the amount of calories for the day. is there a better method of doing this? Any examples?

3) Weight program... I plan on using HIIT for my arobics aspect of it. For my weight portion doing a circuit type workout. Sooner or later I will post what my workout is going to be and how I am going to schedule it. I would like critques for when that happends. I guess the quesions I have now is what is the best way to track calories burned while excercising? I would like to setup a spreadsheet so I can take in the calories from meals and subtract the estimated amt of calories burned. So I could see what type of calories I am bringing in. Does this sound reasonable or just to much work and to much micro manageing sorta?

Well, thanks in advance for any input one can offer. I am more or less looking for suggesions. I just have to keep my willpower strong so I can drop some weight.

Hrmm, one last thing. What type of goals should I set? Should I set a body weight goal or a size goal or a time goal to hit said body weight? I am 210 pounds now and I would like to get around 170. That would be a long term goal.

Thanks again
    1) That sounds good. Make sure to track your diet and bodyfat (if you can)

2/3) http://www.fitday.com/ is perfect for both. It's micromanaging some, if you are honestly eating clean and training hard calories work themselves out but if it helps then do it. If nothing else it will help you see where potential problem areas are.

4) I would make a weight goal of 170 and just try to continue making progress by 2/3 pounds per week in that direction.

Thanks Clint. I will look at that site. At the moment I setup a little blog thingy that I can post the spreadsheet to. I figure it is easier to get people's inputs and all that stuff if it is easy to find...

http://bibbypalooza.blogspot.com/

Thats the blog. still playing with it to get the setup right.

Tracking body comp.

- Take girth measurements at:
    neck
    around the shoulders, largest part
    chest, under the arms, at nipple line

arm, right arm, relaxed strraight out in front of chest arm straight, and flexed same position but arm contracted
    wrist, right arm, around wrist

waist, at narrowest part of abdomen
    abdomen, at the belly button
    hips, widest part of hips

thigh, right leg, relaxed around mid thigh
    knee, right leg, around middle of knee cap
    calve, right leg, largest part
    ankle, right side, aorund ankle

Skinfolds - performed with calipers, on right side (unless noted), 2 finger pinch

cheek, middle
    chin, middle
    pec (middle of nipple line and delt/pec insertion
    mid axillary (armpit)
    subscap (bottom of shoulder balde)
    triceps, middle of arm, relaxed
    biceps, same line as tris, relaxed
    umbilicus, 2cm to right of bellybutton
    suprailliac, side of wasit above hip bone.
    quad, middle of leg
    ham, same line as quad, knee bent at 90 degrees
    calve, widest girth point, knee bent at 90 degrees

Tracking diet:

A simple check list is easiest.
    For example: you need a protein, veggie/fruit, and water with every meal + carbs post workout

Make a chart with those column title, and meal # down the first colume.
    You need 6 meals, each of which should fit the rules above. Leave the other columns empty, and simply add a check mark or an x to each column/per meal. Aim for 90% complience and you'll see results.

So without worrying about calories, fats or otehr carbs you can track a simple diet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tick

Thanks again
    Your sweating the small things. For now, start eating healthy and exercising. In 6-8weeks we could re-evealuate your progress and come up with an action plan for the future.

Try carb cycling as well, upping them when you're lifting and lowering them when you're doing cardio. Actually you'll want to switch your calories back and forth anyway. Find one of the calories calculators on the net, type in your info, and you'll get a good idea of your maintanence calories. You should eat below them when you're doing cardio and trying to lose fat, and of course eat above them when lifting weights. I found that my maintenence calories are about 2700, so when I do HIIT I eat around 2000 and I aim up to 5000 when I'm lifting now. You don't have to be exact of course, but it's nice to have a rough estimate of how many calories you need for your goals.
    Last edited by Rufio; 06-26-2007 at 03:36 PM.

Thread Information