Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Back Muscles and Fat?

Quote Originally Posted by ScottS
    At one of my leanest points I did little to no cardio.
    One might say you're genetically gifted to do no cardio and be at your leanest point? Pretty sure if you did cardio you would have been leaner, lol.

Who wants cream? Nobody? Ok, no cream.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottS
    At one of my leanest points I did little to no cardio.

You're probably gifted with a fast metabolism then. Added muscle mass speeds up your metabolism (I believe an extra thousand calories burned per month with each pound of muscle), so adding muscle can work for long term fat loss, especially if you eat JUST enough to get maximum muscle gains without converting any leftover calories into fat. I know I lost fat one semester when I was just lifting, but it wasn't NEARLY as fast as it is now. I lost fat faster doing long steady rate cardio, but I lost some strength and energy as well. Doing HIIT I seem to be dropping fat as quickly as with marathon cardio sessions, but without the strength loss.

Also Afro, getting some wider lats can help distract from lovehandle fat. Make sure you're doing lat pulldowns, rows, chins, etc.

I hate deadlifts with a fuckin passion.... I just felt like getting that out there.
    "Speed plus mass equals destruction" - Brock Lesnar

Yeah, me too. They're perhaps the least fun excercise of all, and one of the most difficult when it comes to mastering correct form.

Deadlifts are great. They are your chance to really move a pile of weights off the floor. I love them (although I usually love them a while lot less when I wake up and can't fucking walk)

Folks who are having trouble with form could also attempt "Sumo" style lifts. If you google it I'm sure you will see the form. It spreads the legs wider and puts pressure on the hips rather than the lower back.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Quote Originally Posted by DonFrye
    Folks who are having trouble with form could also attempt "Sumo" style lifts. If you google it I'm sure you will see the form. It spreads the legs wider and puts pressure on the hips rather than the lower back.
    yeah alot of people that are built lankier are better suited to pull sumo style.

Quote Originally Posted by DonFrye

Sumo Deadlift

Quote Originally Posted by Rufio
    You're probably gifted with a fast metabolism then. Added muscle mass speeds up your metabolism (I believe an extra thousand calories burned per month with each pound of muscle), so adding muscle can work for long term fat loss, especially if you eat JUST enough to get maximum muscle gains without converting any leftover calories into fat. I know I lost fat one semester when I was just lifting, but it wasn't NEARLY as fast as it is now. I lost fat faster doing long steady rate cardio, but I lost some strength and energy as well. Doing HIIT I seem to be dropping fat as quickly as with marathon cardio sessions, but without the strength loss.

Also Afro, getting some wider lats can help distract from lovehandle fat. Make sure you're doing lat pulldowns, rows, chins, etc.

Definitely not genetically gifted. I had a few months where I was able to devote my life to my body. Luckily my degrees are in exercise science and athletic training so I sort of had an idea of what I was doing.
    I actually want to say I did no cardio but I can't remember if I was jogging to the gym or not during that period.

You could also try some sledgehammer training. I know my back is dead the day after sledging, check out rosstraing.com, he's got some good stuff. Medicine ball slams also work my back well.

Thread Information