Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back Muscles and Fat?

Default Back Muscles and Fat?

Whats the best workout for your back, preferably the lower-back other than dead-lifts?
    "CB Dollaway made a bad decision and now he gets a 2nd chance to earn a victory tonight against CB Dollaway" - Mike Goldberg
    Fav MMA: Sudo, Stevenson, Shields, Kid, Werdum, Hendo, Rampage, Gomi, Sakurai, Okami, Penn, Kawajiri, Big Nogs

Fav Boxers: Sam Peter, RJJ, Pacman, Dawson, Frazier, Hatton, Winky Wright, Paul Williams, SSM, Miranda, Cotto, Linares

I do the roman chair hyper extensions on Back day, and I will hold a weight to my chest. Like this.
    On the 45 degree roman chair thing, I warm up without a weight, and then grab a 25 lbs one for the next three sets, at 15 reps-ish. On the one like in the picture above, I usually go really light weight or no weight at all, and I still feel like my back is caving in the next day. Which is what you're going for, I assume!

I just started adding those into back day a couple of weeks ago and it has already helped my core, particularly in squats.

Here are more possible exercises, none of which I have tried other than the one I sais, under "Erector spinae" at the bottom this page
    Last edited by pillow; 06-28-2007 at 11:17 PM.

More deadlifts.

Also:
    Goodmornings
    Bent over Rows hits your lower back indirectly as well

Yeah, I've done what pillow listed and it's good. My gym also has a lower back machine, although personally my lower back gets killed from deadlifts and the row machine.

The only way fat's coming off is through cardio. The best thing to do aside from sustained bulking and cutting cycles is this:

*Lift one day and rest the next. Eat a lot of complex carbs and protein on these days

*Pick 2-3 days in a row to do cardio. The fastest method seems to be HIIT, which you can learn more of here ... www.hiitsource.com Eat enough protein to prevent much muscle breakdown on these days, but keep your carbs and fat lower on these days.

*Look at a calorie calculator to find out your maintanence calories, IOW the number od calories you need to maintain your current size.

Here's one you can use: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Once you find out your maintanence calories, try to eat well below them on days you do cardio and above them on days you lift weights. Since I found that my maintanence calories are around 2500-2700, I've been eating 2000 calories on days I do HIIT and between 3500-5000 calories when I lift. It seems to work a lot faster both for fat loss and muscle gain than back when I was eating close to my maintanence calories every day.

Besides that, remember to eat right. Whole grain bagels, (plain) oats, eggs or egg whites, 1% milk, 93% lean ground beef, boneless skinless chicken, apples, oranges, broccoli, lean steak, cottage cheese, peanut butter, etc. These are the kind of foods you want to get most of your protein, carbs, and fat from.

Just went into that because you asked about fat. You'll need to eat over your maintanence calories to build up your back muscles and under them to shave off any lovehandle fat. I've gotten into a habit of lifting twice a week with a rest day after each lift, then 3 days of HIIT straight before I go back to lifting. I don't know how your body would respond to that, but it works for me.

I get a kick out of "back fat"

Ya I did some deadlifts today, and some bent over rows, I tried goodmornings but struggled doin them on my bench. There hard as shit if you ask me, but ima just read up more on the proper technique for em.
    "CB Dollaway made a bad decision and now he gets a 2nd chance to earn a victory tonight against CB Dollaway" - Mike Goldberg
    Fav MMA: Sudo, Stevenson, Shields, Kid, Werdum, Hendo, Rampage, Gomi, Sakurai, Okami, Penn, Kawajiri, Big Nogs

Fav Boxers: Sam Peter, RJJ, Pacman, Dawson, Frazier, Hatton, Winky Wright, Paul Williams, SSM, Miranda, Cotto, Linares

Quote Originally Posted by Afro Samurai
    Ya I did some deadlifts today, and some bent over rows, I tried goodmornings but struggled doin them on my bench. There hard as shit if you ask me, but ima just read up more on the proper technique for em.
    If you did one rep for every post you make a day, you'd be a beast lol. I love working back. You get that sense of accomplishment because it is a very strong muscle group and you can move some weight, and you also can feel the gains in your core strength.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

This thread reminds me of the Chapelle episode where they have that ghetto Real World episode with the one lone white guy. Charlie Murphy (Tyrone in the skit I believe) says "Shut up white boy before I cut some bacon off your back." Just makes me laugh. And Afro, listen to what these guys say, they won't steer you wrong.

Who wants cream? Nobody? Ok, no cream.

Quote Originally Posted by DonFrye
    If you did one rep for every post you make a day, you'd be a beast lol. I love working back. You get that sense of accomplishment because it is a very strong muscle group and you can move some weight, and you also can feel the gains in your core strength.
    Rooofl ahh thats messed up, but still funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufio
    The only way fat's coming off is through cardio. The best thing to do aside from sustained bulking and cutting cycles is this:
    At one of my leanest points I did little to no cardio.

Thread Information