+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Championship boxer would do good in mma???

i heard briggs was training with american top team for his stint (one match) in k-1. he's back to hw boxing because there's more money there and the division is in such disarray that anyone can get a shot (much like the ufc).

also, i don't know if it's true or not, but a friend of mine read on a boxing newsletter that us olympian andre ward has been doing some grappling training.

Any championship/top level boxer could destroy UFC fighters in the stand up game. It just depends on if they were able to learn all aspects of the MMA game.

i think muy thia or kickboxers would be able to convert over to mma easier because kicks r alowed in mma and r critical. muy thai fighters r also used to fighting in little gloves like mma, so they know how to defend, but it is kinda tricky to convert to mma from boxing because of the glove size difference. but eaither way they would have to learn ground skills like jujitsu and takedowns from wrestling and maybe some juto sweeps.

Quote Originally Posted by matto
    i think muy thia or kickboxers would be able to convert over to mma easier because kicks r alowed in mma and r critical. muy thai fighters r also used to fighting in little gloves like mma, so they know how to defend, but it is kinda tricky to convert to mma from boxing because of the glove size difference. but eaither way they would have to learn ground skills like jujitsu and takedowns from wrestling and maybe some juto sweeps.

Good points

Quote Originally Posted by thelegendrvb
    Any championship/top level boxer could destroy UFC fighters in the stand up game. It just depends on if they were able to learn all aspects of the MMA game.
    ya, top level boxers have such standup skills because thats all they train and dont do subs, takedowns, and the defences for subs and takedowns. if they took up wrestling and maybe some bjj they would be good. they could get more into takedown defence a lot so they could force their opponent to stand with them, which would not be good cause of how good they r striking, and ko them. kinda like chuck liddle, he forces his opponents to stand with him cause he is so damm hard to takdown, i wonder if he even has any ground game at all. but if ur takedown defence is almost unstoppable and u have great standup u really dont need much of a ground game, except for sub defence and the guards, basic subs, and some sprawling so u can take it back to the feet.

Quote Originally Posted by matto
    ya, top level boxers have such standup skills because thats all they train and dont do subs, takedowns, and the defences for subs and takedowns. if they took up wrestling and maybe some bjj they would be good. they could get more into takedown defence a lot so they could force their opponent to stand with them, which would not be good cause of how good they r striking, and ko them. kinda like chuck liddle, he forces his opponents to stand with him cause he is so damm hard to takdown, i wonder if he even has any ground game at all. but if ur takedown defence is almost unstoppable and u have great standup u really dont need much of a ground game, except for sub defence and the guards, basic subs, and some sprawling so u can take it back to the feet.
    Yeah Chuck has good wrestling skills which he uses to stuff everbodys takedowns. Im sure he has some other ground skills besides his wrestling but he really doesnt need them.

I don't think any boxers would dominate. I think they'd just be average fighters.

I'd love to see a MMA guy have a boxing match and throw a leg kick or go for a submission, lol.

Mirco Cro Cop was a pro kickboxer turned MMA and look how good he is doing.

Kickboxing and boxing are totally different though.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information