Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Boxing be what it was?

oscar Guest

Default Will Boxing be what it was?

What do you,you think boxing will ever go back and be on top 5 sports again??

You think Boxing will have popularity again or do you see boxing dying like hockey??

Short answer, I hate to say it, No.

sig bets 1-0

Punk Ass Guest

The fact that Floyd Mayweather vs De La Hoya broke records means it still is one of the top 5 sports in the word, if not the top since world wide accepted.

This is a pointless thread anyways since there is no accual facts to back up your claim that boxing is not one of the top 5 most popular sports.

Exactly if PBF vs DLH is breaking records, whats gonna happen when two boxers who are actually exciting step into the ring? and with DLH still boxing thats gonna happen.. I mean imagine Cotto vs DLH.
    "CB Dollaway made a bad decision and now he gets a 2nd chance to earn a victory tonight against CB Dollaway" - Mike Goldberg
    Fav MMA: Sudo, Stevenson, Shields, Kid, Werdum, Hendo, Rampage, Gomi, Sakurai, Okami, Penn, Kawajiri, Big Nogs

Fav Boxers: Sam Peter, RJJ, Pacman, Dawson, Frazier, Hatton, Winky Wright, Paul Williams, SSM, Miranda, Cotto, Linares

Quote Originally Posted by Black Man
    Exactly if PBF vs DLH is breaking records, whats gonna happen when two boxers who are actually exciting step into the ring? and with DLH still boxing thats gonna happen.. I mean imagine Cotto vs DLH.
    what are you saying Cotta/DLH will outsellf PBF/DLH? I just dont see no way that happens, sure PBF/DLH broke the records but that doesnt mean that the sport as a whole is healthy. I really just can not see Boxing thriving in America without a HW division, it has always been about the big guys in the US and until that get the dreadful HW situation turned around It wont go but so far over here.
    Avy and Sig Bet record 17-9-1

-

Quote Originally Posted by TheBonger
    what are you saying Cotta/DLH will outsellf PBF/DLH? I just dont see no way that happens, sure PBF/DLH broke the records but that doesnt mean that the sport as a whole is healthy. I really just can not see Boxing thriving in America without a HW division, it has always been about the big guys in the US and until that get the dreadful HW situation turned around It wont go but so far over here.
    Considering how many PRs Cotto already draws to his fight, add that to the fact that its PR vx Mexico, and that Cotto is up there with the best.. and its a very exciting matchup.. the only reason it wont outself PBF/DLH is because Cotto doesnt run his mouth like PBF and isnt the P4P best.. but it would be a better fight, and itll do huge in buys.

and the HW division in boxing is slowly comin back to its feet
    "CB Dollaway made a bad decision and now he gets a 2nd chance to earn a victory tonight against CB Dollaway" - Mike Goldberg
    Fav MMA: Sudo, Stevenson, Shields, Kid, Werdum, Hendo, Rampage, Gomi, Sakurai, Okami, Penn, Kawajiri, Big Nogs

Fav Boxers: Sam Peter, RJJ, Pacman, Dawson, Frazier, Hatton, Winky Wright, Paul Williams, SSM, Miranda, Cotto, Linares

Punk Ass Guest

The reason it will be just as good is because Cotto is getting a lot of promo right now, and he's known to be a slugger. He will come to fight and wont back down or run around the ring.

The way many people was disapointed at the DLH vs PBF fight, the promo will work opposite were the analysts will be saying this wont be a cutsy fight like PBF would want. It would only end in KO, most likely in DLH's favor.

it would definitely be a more exciting fight, I just dont think it could match the hype around the DLH/PBF which was one of if not the main reason for alot of those buys. I dont remember anyfight since Lewis/Tyson being built up and getting the coverage that DLH/PBF got. But we shall see, DLH can't keep going forever and boxing is going to need someone to put asses in the sells and sell those PPVs. I definitely think that alot of people went Chicken Little on boxing very prematurely but too turn the blind eye and say that boxing doesnt have major problems would be naive.
    Avy and Sig Bet record 17-9-1

-

it would definitely be a more exciting fight, I just dont think it could match the hype around the DLH/PBF which was one of if not the main reason for alot of those buys. I dont remember anyfight since Lewis/Tyson being built up and getting the coverage that DLH/PBF got. But we shall see, DLH can't keep going forever and boxing is going to need someone to put asses in the sells and sell those PPVs. I definitely think that alot of people went Chicken Little on boxing very prematurely but too turn the blind eye and say that boxing doesnt have major problems would be naive.
    But ill guarantee you one thing, people will want to see a Cotto/DLH rematch waay more then they would PBF/DLH.. and I dont understand this whole DLH carrying boxing thing.. if Boxing is dying now, and its because DLH is the only guy carrying the sport.. why wasnt this brought up in the 90s? I think the most anyone can say is.. Boxing has a weak HW division, cuz DLH was still the big star in the 90s and outside of the HW division he was the only guy sellin'! if you werent paying to see Holyfield or Tyson, you were paying to see DLH and thats it!

Boxing is definitely in a downturn, and its due to a lot more factors than just the weak HW division (though an identifiable, exciting, and more importantly, undisputed champion would go a long way in helping that problem), but it also has to do with pointless promotional squabbles (Arum once feuding with GBP, Arum currently feuding with Gary Shaw, etc.), which means a lot of the really good fights can't be made, the sanctioning organizations who just keep doing everything to screw up boxing because it keeps money flowing into their coffers, HBO not signing on for big fights, instead often televising piss poor ones like Taylor/Spinks on a regular basis, and most importantly, too many important fights on PPV. As well as fights like Marquez/Barrera, Cotto/Judah, and Pacquiao/Solis have done, and as anticipated as Marquez/Barrios and Hopkins/Wright (debatable, actually), all these fights should have been offered free on HBO rather than PPV. As far as I'm concerned, the only fights this year that have been made or are going to be made that are worthy of PPV have been de la Hoya/Mayweather and Pacquiao/Barrera II. And asides from that, there just haven't been very many marketable American boxers around that American boxing fight fans can gravitate to (Taylor consistently disappoints every time out, Mayweather's fights are consistently boring and he alienates most people with his attitude, Wright, Hopkins, and de la Hoya are all getting near the end of their runs). The guys drawing the big money and hype these days are from other countries, bringing rabid, devoted followings with them (Pacquiao, Hatton, Cotto, etc.).

But this doesn't mean that boxing can't regain a lot of its former prominence. It's really only in the U.S. that boxing is in bad shape, anywhere else and boxing is still king. Boxing has been in worse shape than this before (the years before Ali won the HW title from Liston and after Paret was killed on national TV), and even then, it bounced back to international as well as American prominence. There's things that need to be done though.

Israel Vazquez....Super Bantamweight Champ....Super Heavyweight Heart

This man is my hero.

Thread Information