Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 WK sig bet for wright vs hopkins anyone?

Default 2 WK sig bet for wright vs hopkins anyone?

anyone interested??? I'm picking winky wright for this one. btw I'm not going to this bet with someone who barely posts here so dont reply if you joined the boards last night or if you barely post.

matto Guest

incorrect, hopkins is going to win, he is the bigger guy. but im a complete idiot when it comes to boxing so im probably wrong.

Would of taken you up on it but I got Winky winning, I like BHop and think he trains much better then Winky does, but style-wise there similar boxers.. Bhop has more power, Winky has better defense.. Winky is younger, slicker, and he beat Jermain Taylor.. Bhop lost two close fights to Taylor. I got Winky winning a 12 rd decision thatll be argued to the grave because the fight is basically gonna go

Bhop will push the action, make the fight exciting

Winky will outpunch him and win the boxing match
    "CB Dollaway made a bad decision and now he gets a 2nd chance to earn a victory tonight against CB Dollaway" - Mike Goldberg
    Fav MMA: Sudo, Stevenson, Shields, Kid, Werdum, Hendo, Rampage, Gomi, Sakurai, Okami, Penn, Kawajiri, Big Nogs

Fav Boxers: Sam Peter, RJJ, Pacman, Dawson, Frazier, Hatton, Winky Wright, Paul Williams, SSM, Miranda, Cotto, Linares

Bullock Guest

It's going to be a good fight.

matto Guest

change my mind, hopkins lost to taylor twice, but didnt realize that wright beat taylor, i thought that there fight was a draw. wright will win by comparing how they both fought taylor.

bradlee180 Guest

Hopkins was robbed in that first fight where he officially lost the title to Jermaine Taylor, and I think Hopkins won the rematch too though it was closer, and the judges gave it to Taylor again. I could live with a draw in that rematch, but not a Taylor victory. I think Wright beat Taylor too, and also got robbed with that draw decision. Then middleweight (160) "champ" Taylor fights light-middleweight (154) Ouma and welterweight (147) Cory Spinks in a couple of snore-fests. 6'1" Taylor ought to have been able to blow those little guys out of there early. HBO put there dollars behind a guy in Taylor who's NOT the goods at all, trying to make a star out of him. Pavlik's gonna KILL this Taylor when they meet, and Miranda would do the same.

Hopkins was my favorite fighter throughout the 90's, but he's been past-his-prime for 6 years and has become way too defensive. Winky Wright is a promoter's nightmare, like Phil Baroni said about Lindland:"there's no such thing as a Matt Lindland fan."
    Well, there's no such thing as a Winky Wright fan. Boring defensive style, little power, reluctance to engage, no charisma, no personality except to whine about ring-robberies.
    Crap-fight I think, if you can even call it a fight.

It's crap-fights like Hopkins/Wright in boxing being sold as a 50 dollar Pay-Per-View which further alienates boxing fans making me more and more a fan of Mixed Martial Arts where the best fight the best on stacked cards and the fights are action-packed. Hopkins will win a snooze-fest, and Wright will cry about another robbery.
    Last edited by bradlee180; 07-19-2007 at 04:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bradlee180
    Hopkins was robbed in that first fight where he officially lost the title to Jermaine Taylor, and I think Hopkins won the rematch too though it was closer, and the judges gave it to Taylor again. I could live with a draw in that rematch, but not a Taylor victory. I think Wright beat Taylor too, and also got robbed with that draw decision. Then middleweight (160) "champ" Taylor fights light-middleweight (154) Ouma and welterweight (147) Cory Spinks in a couple of snore-fests. 6'1" Taylor ought to have been able to blow those little guys out of there early. HBO put there dollars behind a guy in Taylor who's NOT the goods at all, trying to make a star out of him. Pavlik's gonna KILL this Taylor when they meet, and Miranda would do the same.

Hopkins was my favorite fighter throughout the 90's, but he's been past-his-prime for 6 years and has become way too defensive. Winky Wright is a promoter's nightmare, like Phil Baroni said about Lindland:"there's no such thing as a Matt Lindland fan."
    Well, there's no such thing as a Winky Wright fan. Boring defensive style, little power, reluctance to engage, no charisma, no personality except to whine about ring-robberies.
    Crap-fight I think, if you can even call it a fight.

It's crap-fights like Hopkins/Wright in boxing being sold as a 50 dollar Pay-Per-View which further alienates boxing fans making me more and more a fan of Mixed Martial Arts where the best fight the best on stacked cards and the fights are action-packed. Hopkins will win a snooze-fest, and Wright will cry about another robbery.
    I disagree. Hopkins didn’t do enough in the first fight to win. HE lost that fight by choice. The second fight with BHop and the fight with Winky were both toss-ups, but remember, 9 different judges thought Taylor didnt lose. Obviously he has the ability to get the nod in close fights.
    Also, to criticize any boxer for having 2 lackluster fights after coming off 3 fights in a row with 2 of the top P4P boxers in the sport just doesn’t make sense to me. Pavlik won’t be KILLING anyone, he may come away with the win, but he will catch hell to get it.
    I really dont think Hopkin's skills have diminished much either. In his last three fights he's has 2 razor close fights with the 27-28 year old Taylor, and completely demolished Tarver. I'd say he's still got it. I do agree with you about Winky though. Boring style, no power, cries when he loses... fuck em.
    Im still excited about this fight. Until this point, noone has solved the puzzle Winky poses with his defense and pity-pat punches. Taylor was able to keep it close by using raw power to push Wright back by punching through his guard. Hopkins is so good about adjusting his game plan around his opponents’ strengths during the fight, I think he could make it interesting. I want to see him take Winky to school. I can see it going either way though.
    Last edited by JimmyMoore; 07-19-2007 at 05:25 PM.

bradlee180 Guest

Rewatch the first Hopkins/Taylor fight as an impartial judge with the sound turned off so you won’t be influenced by biased commentators.

Almost every exchange goes like this: Taylor throws a dynamic, flashy 5 punch combination WHICH DOESN’T LAND because they’re telegraphed although Lamps continues to scream each time, “a big right hand by Taylor!” Hopkins picks off the flashy, telegraphed 5 punch combination on his GLOVES and counters with a single punch that LANDS on Taylor. Over and over again, the same thing throughout the 12 rds: Taylor’s flashy 5 punch combo which DOESN’T LAND, countered by Hopkins’ single shot which DOES LAND. I give those exchanges to Hopkins because he hit the other guy.

I first watch a fight as a fan because being impartial ruins the enjoyment, but if the decision appears controversial, I re-watch and score as an impartial judge. I don’t have my scorecard handy, but I remember I had Hopkins clearly ahead in the first fight.

It’s not 2 lackluster fights for Taylor, it’s 5 lackluster fights in a row. Taylor’s not the goods, fella. Respect to Jermaine Taylor for competing in a tough sport, overcoming lots of adversity, and making it to the top, but he’s really not an elite-level fighter. HBO and Taylor’s management maximized what Taylor does have. Pavlik will KO Taylor if the fight comes off.

Hopkins is a bit like Archie Moore or Jersey Joe Walcott in that he’s hung on to a lot of his skill even at 42 years old, but I’ve been watching Hopkins since he was a contender. Hopkins’ prime was 1996 through 2000 from the age of 31 years old to 35, a late-bloomer. The prime Hopkins was more aggressive, more inclined to take risks, and delivered KO’s, and that Hopkins would’ve KO’d Taylor. Even past-his-prime, I think Hopkins clearly beat Taylor the first time around. Robert Allen said of his 3rd fight in 2004 with Hopkins, “strangely Hopkins doesn’t hit as hard as he used to.” Allen first fought the prime Hopkins in ‘98 and was TKO’d in the rematch in ‘99. The Joe Lipsey annihilation is a memorable moment. Lipsey was undefeated, 25 wins, 20 KO’s. In ’96, the prime Hopkins brutally KO’ed him in 4, and Lipsey NEVER fought again. Unfortunately, many fans never saw the prime Hopkins though it was all on free tv, only seeing him on the big PPV’s which only came AFTER he was past-his-prime.

first off - ill make this clear

if you think winky is p4p anything...you dont no boxing!

before shane mosley...all he was known for was his loss to vargas who is b class at best...prior to both- he was known for getting KTFO by vasquez

when he fought sugar shane, he was cleary the bigger dude and sugar had no business in that weight class....the second time around sugar shane inho won a close decision to winky wright ( he even hurt him bad and had him almost out) ohh yeah were talking about a natural 140lber....

then he fights Trinidad who is yet again a natural 145er and is way past his prime....Trinidad came out of retirement and remind yah, he was only c-class and over-the-hill

his fight against sam soliman was the biggest joke in boxing that year....i honestly had soliman winning by 1 round...winky should have walked right thru an supposed C-class boxer...he fucking gave soliman everything he had in the 8th round only to get his ass kicked the last 30 seconds of the round....

iam not even gonna get into the taylor-wright fight...both are pieces of shit and just a joke as to being the top fighters in our time....

winky`s fight over ike was the cure to insomina...i dont even think he made ike flinch once...likewise with ike....ike was over-the-hill and a c-class fighter at the time....

winky is a disgrace to the fans....along with taylor....both are trash.....

now on to winky v.s. bhop

this is a hard fight to call....at bhops age, its very hard to call any of his fights....hes unpredictable at his age....ill put it this way- if bhop comes in the same shape he came in for the taylor fight- taylor will lose the fight in my eyes....winky has no fucking power- so you could easily call out any possible knock outs on his behalf...i do think bhop could knock winky down and out!!! the only thing sure is that its gonna be a boring fight to watch!!

but honestly who knows whats gonna happen when it goes to a decision...boxing judges are fucking corrupt and even if their not, they cant fucking count....
    this fight is gonna put boxing in a hole and make them lose appeal to the general audience even more!

ohh yeah i forgot to add....kelly is knocking winky, bhop, and taylor out

Thread Information