Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cael Sanderson greatest college wrestler of all time.

Im still amazed that he could go undefeated throughout college. Is he the only one to ever do that?

Quote Originally Posted by neonatural45
    Im still amazed that he could go undefeated throughout college. Is he the only one to ever do that?

Yes he is.

If you look at what he has done he has one of the greatest list of accomplishments. He is great.

Yes... and Pat Smith was the only other 4X Division I NCAA national champ.

Here is a great article I found one time about the best college wrestlers of all time:

INDIANAPOLIS---In honor of the 75th Anniversary of the NCAA Wrestling Championships, the NCAA announced its 75th Anniversary Wrestling Team today at Union Station in St. Louis in conjunction with the Division I Wrestling Championships.

A panel of collegiate wrestling experts compiled a list of 45 former wrestlers in three divisions, lightweight, middleweight and heavyweight to be nominated for the 75th Anniversary Team. Fans from across the nation then voted on-line and the top five vote getters in each category were named to the 15-member team.

In the lightweight division, the winners were Fresno State’s Stephen Abas, Iowa’s Tom Brands, Iowa State’s Dan Gable as well as Oklahoma State’s John Smith and Yojiro Uetake Obata.

Abas was a three-time NCAA Champion during his career which spanned from 1998-2002 while compiling a 103-2 record with 46 pins. Brands was a three-time NCAA Champion with an overall record of 158-7-2 and 46 falls as a Hawkeye from 1989-92. Gable, the top vote getter of the 15-member team, was a two-time NCAA Champion, compiling a record of 96-1 with 72 pins while wrestling from 1968-70. Smith also was a two-time NCAA Champion, racking up a 157-7-2 record with 40 falls during his collegiate career from 1984-88. Obata went undefeated throughout his collegiate career with a perfect 57-0 record while winning three NCAA titles from 1964-66.

In the middleweight division, the team members were Wisconsin’s Lee Kemp, Iowa’s Lincoln McIlravy, Clarion’s Wade Schalles, Oklahoma State’s Pat Smith and Iowa’s Joe Williams.
    Kemp tallied 143 wins en route to three NCAA titles as a Badger from 1975-78. McIlravy was also a three-time NCAA Champion during 1993-97 while compiling a 96-3 record. Schalles pinned 106 opponents during his career from 1971-74 in which he won two national titles and went 153-5-1. Smith was the first four-time NCAA Champion while wrestling from 1990-94 and putting together a 121-5-2 record. Williams was a three-time NCAA champion from 1994-98 while compiling a record of 129-9.

In the heavyweight division, the five honorees were Clarion’s Kurt Angle, Iowa’s Ed Banach, Pittsburgh-Johnstown’s Carlton Haselrig, Oklahoma’s Dan Hodge and Iowa State’s Cael Sanderson.

Angle was a two-time NCAA Champion while at Clarion, posting a 116-10-2 record for his collegiate career. Banach reached the finals of the NCAA Championships all four years and managed three NCAA titles, finishing his Iowa career with 141 wins and 73 falls. Haselrig won three NCAA Championships at both the Division I and Division II level for Pittsburgh-Johnstown, becoming the only wrestler in NCAA history to do so on his way to a 143-3-1 record for his career. Hodge never lost in his collegiate career posting 46 wins, 36 by fall, on his way to three NCAA titles. Sanderson is the only four-time undefeated NCAA Champion in history, putting together a streak of 159 wins without a loss.
    http://www2.ncaa.org/portal/media_an...tlingteam.html

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Palma Wrestler
    Yes... and Pat Smith was the only other 4X Division I NCAA national champ.

Here is a great article I found one time about the best college wrestlers of all time:

http://www2.ncaa.org/portal/media_an...tlingteam.html

Now how the hell is Greg Jones not on that list??

* One of 39 3-time NCAA champions
    * One of 20 wrestlers to win titles at two different weights
    * One of 10 wrestlers to win a national title as a freshman
    * 126-4 career record
    * Those 4 losses were to Otto Olson of Michigan(9-8), Ralph Everett(3-2 t.b.) and Rashad Evans (3-2). The fourth loss was a forfeit.
    * West Virginia's all-time wins leader
    * Undefeated his junior and senior years
    * Ended career with a 51-match win streak
    * 4-time Eastern Wrestling League (EWL) champion
    * First EWL wrestler to be named Most Outstanding Wrestler at the NCAA tournament
    * Was taken down just ten times in his career
    * Outscored opponents 298-82 his senior year
    * Voted 2004 West Virginia Amateur Athlete of the Year
    * 17-2 record in 4 NCAA tournaments
    * Member of the Eastern Wrestling League and NWCA All-Academic Teams

per wikipedia*

Worth noting...Kos and GJ tied up Kos's senior year when he was defending his national title....Kos though missed the ENTIRE year and came back just for the national tournament and at the EWL finals GJ beat him in OT. It was a classic....

Also...Kind of surprises me Rashad Evans beat him...Rashad was by no means an "elite" collegiate wrestler imo.
    Last edited by The Natural994; 07-20-2007 at 12:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Natural994

* 126-4 career record
    * Those 4 losses were to Otto Olson of Michigan(9-8), Ralph Everett(3-2 t.b.) and Rashad Evans (3-2). The fourth loss was a forfeit.
    * First EWL wrestler to be named Most Outstanding Wrestler at the NCAA tournament

per wikipedia*
    Good point.

Cael is the best though.

* 126-4 career record

per wikipedia*
    Greg Jones is great (and I am not defending the list- especially since I didn't compile it) but he is more famous to the people who haven't been following wrestling for the past 20 years or to people who don't follow college wrestling at all. He is great but not the best of all time. If he would have at least placed his freshman year at nationals then I would say he should be up there, but one out of 39 doesn't mean his in the top five ever.

Greg Jones is great (and I am not defending the list- especially since I didn't compile it) but he is more famous to the people who haven't been following wrestling for the past 20 years or to people who don't follow college wrestling at all. He is great but not the best of all time. If he would have at least placed his freshman year at nationals then I would say he should be up there, but one out of 39 doesn't mean his in the top five ever.

Problem is two things. He didn't to a renowned wrestling school and he hasn't accomplished anything after wrestling which I kind of get a vibe that list is going off of.

His collegiate resume is deserving of that list. It's stronger than SEVERAL of the people on there....

Problem is two things. He didn't to a renowned wrestling school and he hasn't accomplished anything after wrestling which I kind of get a vibe that list is going off of.

His collegiate resume is deserving of that list. It's stronger than SEVERAL of the people on there....
    You can't just say Greg Jones is more deserving then Pat Smith, Joe Williams, Schalles, Lee Kemp, and Mcilravy. Do you even know who these guys are?
    Last edited by Palma; 07-20-2007 at 12:23 AM.

You can't just say Greg Jones is more deserving then Pat Smith, Joe Williams, Schalles, Lee Kemp, Mcilravy. Do you even know who these guys are?
    Out of everyone on that list he could replace Joe Williams...He is on that list for where he went to school and having the shit he did post college factored in... I'm not saying he wasn't GREAT in college but what he did in college doesn't quite stack up to Jones.. Collegiately Jones' resume stacks up better than Williams. Winning 3 national titles in two different weight classes is insane!!! OW of the tournament too!! I mean c'mon...These "lists" are always biased. He's just on the short end of the stick.

Same thing with Abas...Jone's COLLEGIATE resume is just as strong. The bottomg line the EWL doesn't get the recognition and Jones didn't continue wrestling after college....Therefore he's off the list.

Taking nothing away from Abas of course...He is one of my all time favs...

Just for arguments sake...GJ's resume is sick. It should be up here....
    Last edited by The Natural994; 07-20-2007 at 12:30 AM.

Thread Information