Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Top Ten Wrestlers of all time

Quote Originally Posted by methodjg
    too many
    Too many what?

Good list.

And yeah there is pretty much no way at all that any one will be better than karelin in our lfetimes.

Whats funny about him i think is that wasn't he into ballet or some shit like that before he did wrestling?

Quote Originally Posted by harlemhustla145
    Hulk Hogan

I'm sorry, I just saw an opening.
    Pfff... Flair all the way.

I believe Cael is the best wrestler of all time. He was 159-0 4x NCAA champ then went to the Olympics and won the Gold medal. The fact that he decided to coach after that doesn't take away from this guys insane skill level. He was dominant. !59-0 doesn't even explain it. I've seen the guy wrestle up close. Guys who lost 8-0 acted like they won because they didn't get destroyed. Although anyone who's wrestled in college knows 8-0 at that level is a beating. I understand many would say it's college, and we should look at international competition, well the first time he decided to compete, he again dominated. What else can he do, win multiple Gold? Why? Some of these guys keep wrestling until a younger lion eventually beats them and then they retire. Cael Sanderson went out looking unbeatable on every level. IMO The absolute best.

Quote Originally Posted by KnowledgeKnown
    I believe Cael is the best wrestler of all time. He was 159-0 4x NCAA champ then went to the Olympics and won the Gold medal. The fact that he decided to coach after that doesn't take away from this guys insane skill level. He was dominant. !59-0 doesn't even explain it. I've seen the guy wrestle up close. Guys who lost 8-0 acted like they won because they didn't get destroyed. Although anyone who's wrestled in college knows 8-0 at that level is a beating. I understand many would say it's college, and we should look at international competition, well the first time he decided to compete, he again dominated. What else can he do, win multiple Gold? Why? Some of these guys keep wrestling until a younger lion eventually beats them and then they retire. Cael Sanderson went out looking unbeatable on every level. IMO The absolute best.
    I'd love to call Bo Jackson the best Running back of all time, but what can I do? You can't ignore other's greater accomplishments because Cael "could have" been better. Dan Gable had as close of a career to Cael's as anyone can possibbly have and he isn't one of the top ten.

It's not fair to wrestlers from other countries that don't have a college program to compare to, besides college is college and the Olympics are something entirely different. DO you have any idea what kind of feat winning the Olympics multiple times is? It's much more impressive then winning NCAA's 4X.

Besides if Cael didn't lose in the finals in the 2003 world meet I would say he would have a more ligitmate spot in USA wrestling History.
    Last edited by Palma; 08-23-2007 at 04:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Palma Wrestler
    I'd love to call Bo Jackson the best Running back of all time, but what can I do? You can't ignore other's greater accomplishments because Cael "could have" been better. Dan Gable had as close of a career to Cael's as anyone can possibbly have and he isn't one of the top ten.

It's not fair to wrestlers from other countries that don't have a college program to compare to, besides college is college and the Olympics are something entirely different. DO you have any idea what kind of feat winning the Olympics multiple times is? It's much more impressive then winning NCAA's 4X.

Besides if Cael didn't lose in the finals in the 2003 world meet I would say he would have a more ligitmate spot in USA wrestling History.
    Actually I do have an idea. I wrestled freestyle in many national qualifying events, so I have a pretty good idea. And I didn't say Cael "could have been" i'm saying he's the best based on skill. I'm not basing this soley on accomplishments, i'm basing it on being up close and personal with these guys. My close friend was an alternate for the olympics so I had an opprotunity to interact with many of these guys. Cael IMO is the best technical, and iron willed wrestler in history. Now if the post was" best 10 wrestler of alltime based on accomplishments" I guess Sanderson would be out. And something else i've always felt, it would be hard for me to say a Greco Roman competitor is the best of all time. Many times in these competitions, the Greco wrestlers are guys who didn't make the cut in freestlye, so changes to Greco. Not all mind you, but you'd be surprised how much this happends even on a high level. Freestyle is a complete game, where as Greco is not. Now the agrument can be made that Greco is harder and takes more skill of course. I've watched a ton of tapes of the wrestling greats when I was training seriously, and I watched Cael Sanderson after I was done competing, and let me tell you, he IS ...not "could have been" something special. IMO the BEST. Of course this is all opinion and none of it can be proven either way. lol.

oh and why should American wrestler be penalized because they DO have college wrestling. I so confused by that. Who gives a crap whether other countries do or don't. The Olympics are different, however qualifying for the olympics is very similar. All year including off season tourneys, you're pretty much wrestling the same dudes over and over. The best college wrestler are the ones wrestling in qualifying tournies. Unless things have changed a whole lot since I was competing. Which by the way is very very possible. lol.
    Last edited by KnowledgeKnown; 08-24-2007 at 02:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KnowledgeKnown
    Actually I do have an idea. I wrestled freestyle in many national qualifying events, so I have a pretty good idea. And I didn't say Cael "could have been" i'm saying he's the best based on skill. I'm not basing this soley on accomplishments, i'm basing it on being up close and personal with these guys. My close friend was an alternate for the olympics so I had an opprotunity to interact with many of these guys. Cael IMO is the best technical, and iron willed wrestler in history. Now if the post was" best 10 wrestler of alltime based on accomplishments" I guess Sanderson would be out. And something else i've always felt, it would be hard for me to say a Greco Roman competitor is the best of all time. Many times in these competitions, the Greco wrestlers are guys who didn't make the cut in freestlye, so changes to Greco. Not all mind you, but you'd be surprised how much this happends even on a high level. Freestyle is a complete game, where as Greco is not. Now the agrument can be made that Greco is harder and takes more skill of course. I've watched a ton of tapes of the wrestling greats when I was training seriously, and I watched Cael Sanderson after I was done competing, and let me tell you, he IS ...not "could have been" something special. IMO the BEST. Of course this is all opinion and none of it can be proven either way. lol.

oh and why should American wrestler be penalized because they DO have college wrestling. I so confused by that. Who gives a crap whether other countries do or don't. The Olympics are different, however qualifying for the olympics is very similar. All year including off season tourneys, you're pretty much wrestling the same dudes over and over. The best college wrestler are the ones wrestling in qualifying tournies. Unless things have changed a whole lot since I was competing. Which by the way is very very possible. lol.
    If you are going off skill level alone then I would rank John Smith, Kenny Monday, Dan Gable, Karelin, and Sergey Beloglazov over Cael.

I think what you said about Greco wrestlers not being able to hack it in freestyle is true in the US but in Russia and Europe it is held in high regard since it was the original form of wrestling and allot of Greco wrestler start concentrating on Greco at a very young age.

I think Cael is the best American Wrestler of our generation but if you go back, even based on skill alone I wouldn't call him the best and he is my favorite wrestler of all time. I have to be objective here. Accomplishments in wrestling are a great indicator of how good a wrestler acutally was or is. Even with Cael, he is easily the best college wrestler of all time based on his skill and accomplishments.
    Last edited by Palma; 08-24-2007 at 06:09 AM.

Silvastar Guest

Quote Originally Posted by harlemhustla145
    Hulk Hogan

I'm sorry, I just saw an opening.
    I was heading the same direction.

Thread Information