Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Natural Attribute

Default Best Natural Attribute

I've been a member at this site for months upon months now and I have really enjoy getting my MMA news and videos here. However, because I did not...we'll say actively participate in discussion (reading once or twice a day isn't active I suppose), I have been denied entry to pics/videos and such that I had been accustomed too. Point being, I'm actively trying to regain such privileges and I do not see a better way than to come on down to good ol' noob jack city. But I digress...

I was wondering what everyone here thought were some of the best unlearned abilities or talents that a particular fighter possesses. Examples that come to mind are:

1. Fedor's ability to keep cool under pressure
    2. BJ Penn's flexibility
    3. A. Silva's coordination (striking accuracy)

Granted some of these can be learned, but usually in somewhat unconventional methods. Lets hear some others

matto Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jem7dbk
    I've been a member at this site for months upon months now and I have really enjoy getting my MMA news and videos here. However, because I did not...we'll say actively participate in discussion (reading once or twice a day isn't active I suppose), I have been denied entry to pics/videos and such that I had been accustomed too. Point being, I'm actively trying to regain such privileges and I do not see a better way than to come on down to good ol' noob jack city. But I digress...

I was wondering what everyone here thought were some of the best unlearned abilities or talents that a particular fighter possesses. Examples that come to mind are:

2. BJ Penn's flexibility

Granted some of these can be learned, but usually in somewhat unconventional methods. Lets hear some others

very good choices, fedor can be agressive at the right times but calm at the right times as well. probably hunts chin would be a good one. also i have been naturally gifted in certain areas but lets keep to the topic.

Randlemans strenght/explosiveness.

melvin gullard's (sp?) speed

Punk Ass Guest

2. BJ Penn's flexibility

Everything you mentioned is not natural ability. Staying cool, Flexiblity, and accuracy certainly can be taught.

What can't be taught is Chuck Liddell's punching power, Rampage's freakish strength, Vitor Belfort's blazing hand speed.

Some things just can't be taught. Which is the reason why you only have one Floyd Mayweather, Fedor, Michael Jordan.

Fedor IMO is very naturally athletic. Maybe he didn't have good foot speed for soccer, or a good jump shot, but he sure as hell was made for fighting. He is very very quick and explosive. He's is relentless, he accually doesn't keep cool IMO; he doesn't give his opponents the chance to breath. He's a fucking animal.

BJ Penn has the freakish ability to learn very quickly. He became a black belt in BJJ in 2 years, and now is an extremely good striker. In fact, a better striker than most in his division. To me, he is probably the best P4P in the WW and LW, depending on health and cardio.

Rampage has some crazy retard strenth IMO. I seen many very built MMArtists but non that can slam the hell outta people like Rampage.

Cung Le! Dude is just amazing. Extremly fast and powerful. He's the total package IMO. But to be one of the best, you usually have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by harlemhustla145
    Everything you mentioned is not natural ability. Staying cool, Flexiblity, and accuracy certainly can be taught.

I disagree. Some people are naturally flexible, coordinated, strong, etc. I'll use one of my friends for example. He has lifted weights only a handful of times and does not stretch at all. However, he weighs 155lbs, can bench press 250lbs and can put his leg behind his head. This is all natural ability. Like I said further down in my previous post, yes these things can be somewhat taught. But indeed some are more genetically predisposed than others.

Keep em coming

i also agree with most on your list,but other attributes i think are good is cardio,which can be learnt but some have way more cardio than others.aggressiveness is also good to have.which can be taught again but some people are naturally more agressive than others.

Punk Ass Guest

I disagree. Some people are naturally flexible, coordinated, strong, etc. I'll use one of my friends for example. He has lifted weights only a handful of times and does not stretch at all. However, he weighs 155lbs, can bench press 250lbs and can put his leg behind his head. This is all natural ability. Like I said further down in my previous post, yes these things can be somewhat taught. But indeed some are more genetically predisposed than others.

Keep em coming
    I agree, but the reason I said Flexiblity can be taught is because if you stretch long enough, you will be flexible.

I have a cousin who weighed 135lb soak and wet, but could bench press 288. Sure that's just natural ability. Coordination is also a natural talent, but flexiblity can be natural but also can be learned. hand speed is definately something that can't be taught.

Mark Hunts Chin - you can't teach a guy to take a punch

Quote Originally Posted by Gmunit
    Mark Hunts Chin - you can't teach a guy to take a punch
    I'd have to say this and Penn's flexibility. You can stretch and stretch and there's some people that just cannot improve this aspect at all. You can improve it but it's like Penn has no ligaments and is double jointed all over the place.
    "Speed plus mass equals destruction" - Brock Lesnar

Thread Information