+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Al Bundy trains bjj?

Quote Originally Posted by thumper
    It really doesn't surprise me.

Al was always kind of gooey, but you could tell by his build he was an athlete at some point. (wait, 4 touchdowns in one game.. no shit!).

But yeah, I couldn't picture him subbing me haha. Rampage thinks other fighters stink, shit he'd be much worse
    Lol, 4 touchdowns in one game. Nice.

Wibblywobblywonder

14-4 Sig Bets

Polk high

"Peg...if you don't shut your trap, I'm gonna lock up with ya, take ya down and tap you out"

Awesome. I had no idea. Repd.

hey guys new to the site. thats funny about bundy.question do you guys think bjj would work in a street fight?was thinking about joing a gym but I just dont think it would be good to roll in the middle of a bar lol let me know what u guys think!!!!!!

i would prob try muay thai if u think your going to fight in bars.Getting kicked in the head by his friends prob wont feel to good

Quote Originally Posted by chuckbyko
    hey guys new to the site. thats funny about bundy.question do you guys think bjj would work in a street fight?was thinking about joing a gym but I just dont think it would be good to roll in the middle of a bar lol let me know what u guys think!!!!!!

Sure, of course it would work in a street fight. It's not a perfect art form, and there are limitations obviously, though imo it's a lot more effective than a number of other arts, like Taekwondo, most styles of Kung-Fu, and really sadly a majority of the traditional arts that you find taught anymore.

I would say that it couldn't hurt to have some striking added in there too, but personally I feel that BJJ is one of the most effective styles for real-world application.

Obviously, you wouldn't want to take a fight to the ground against 5 guys. But then again, you woudn't really want to box 5 guys either. The reality is that there is no great equalizer when it comes to multiple attackers.

Plus, and this is my personal opinion, ground fighting is on average more effective against an untrained assailant. There is always the 'puncher's chance' that someone can catch you just right and knock you out no matter how good you are on your feet. But there is no 'grappler's chance.' If you are good at BJJ, the odds are a lot more slim that someone is going to be able to overcome your skill set. Just my personal opinion.

And there are other factors. Training with the gi, being accustomed to getting hit on the ground, etc. Like I said, no one style is perfect, but if you are concerned about real-world application then BJJ is a good starting point.

Wibblywobblywonder

14-4 Sig Bets

Quote Originally Posted by Noob
    Plus, and this is my personal opinion, ground fighting is on average more effective against an untrained assailant. There is always the 'puncher's chance' that someone can catch you just right and knock you out no matter how good you are on your feet. But there is no 'grappler's chance.' If you are good at BJJ, the odds are a lot more slim that someone is going to be able to overcome your skill set. Just my personal opinion.
    Agreed. I have always considered BJJ the most effective form of fighting due to the fact that you average guy has no knowledge of ground fighting. I mean even if you run into a guy who has some wrestling experience he is still not use to defending submissions.

Quote Originally Posted by thelegendrvb
    Agreed. I have always considered BJJ the most effective form of fighting due to the fact that you average guy has no knowledge of ground fighting. I mean even if you run into a guy who has some wrestling experience he is still not use to defending submissions.
    Definitely. I always think about some quote, I think from one of the Gracies a long time ago. He said something like "On the feet, things are more equal. Everyone always has a chance to win, has some ability. But on the ground, I am a shark and most people barely know how to swim."

I love that quote, and it's true. Just like you said, even if they have some wrestling experience, it's damned hard to wrestle with broken limbs or a lack of consciousness.

I also think it's easier to finish a guy off. Knockouts are difficult to get unless you are very skilled or have good power. Even then, they're rarely clean KO's. But a submission is ideally quick, clean, sure, and not something someone can recover from quick enough for it to matter. Especially if you combine strikes and submissions together on the ground.

Edit: Found the quote:

"When we go to the ground, you are in my world. The ground is the ocean, I am the shark, and most people don't even know how to swim."

Alternately ascribed to RCJ or JJ Machado
    Last edited by Noob; 08-11-2007 at 08:37 PM.

Wibblywobblywonder

14-4 Sig Bets

Did you guys know he was actually a football player and on the Pittsburgh Steelers for a short period of time. He got kicked off the team / cut in tarinng cam for starting a fight, and sucking at football or course...

I agree with chuckbyco and toughguy69.
    I think it would be foolish to intentionally take somebody to the ground in a street-fight. 99.9% of street-fights happen where there are groups of people, and if you deliberately take somebody to the ground, other folks will probably start kicking you in the head!

Strikes are best in a street-fight: kicks, knees, punches, elbows, eye-gouges, headbutts, better yet a bottle or a brick. Most likely you won’t know what nearby-guys are his pals, whether they’ll attack, whether they’ll have weapons. Strikes are best in a street-fight even against multiple attackers, AVOID going to the ground unless you want to get kicked in the head by all his pals.

One should practice ground skills though because of the chaotic nature of fighting where you may wind up on the ground, but the ground is NOT a place you want to be in a street-fight. Unless there's absolutely nobody else around except you and the other guy, that's the only time to ever intentionally take somebody to the ground in a street-fight because then your submission skills give you the advantage.
    Last edited by bradlee180; 08-12-2007 at 04:27 AM.

Thread Information