Thread: Monson wins gold at FILA WC's

Default Monson wins gold at FILA WC's

Jeff Monson showed why he is considered one of the best grapplers in MMA, winning a Gold Medal Sunday at the first-ever FILA World Championships in Grappling.

Monson, who received thirty stitches one week ago in a loss to Pedro Rizzo at Art of War 3, traveled to Antalya, Turkey to compete in the 275-pound division.

Monson won a total of two matches, defeating France's Zoro Piere and Great Britain's Tom Blackledge with submissions. Monson was awarded the Gold Medal when his final opponent Ramon Diaz suffered an injury and was forced to bow out.

Two accomplished female mixed martial arts fighters also won Gold Medals: Fatal Femmes Fighting flyweight champion Lisa Ward won in the 105.5-pound division and BodogFight competitor Tara LaRosa won in the 138.75-pound division.

IFL Wolfpack middleweight Matt Horwich took home the Silver Medal in the 202.5-pound class, defeating Tony Passoa, Jordan Radev and Ryan Gillespie but losing to Malcom Havens.

Competitors on the U.S. World Grappling Team won all nine Gold Medals.

Courtesy of MMAFighting.com

.................................................. .......

I have a question, does it seem strange to anyone else that ^^ the US Grappling Team won all 9 gold medals?? are they that good or do you think the competition was inferior?

I'm just shocked that there was a Monson-related thread that wasn't started by Monsonbychoke.

Really. Flabbergasted.

Wibblywobblywonder

14-4 Sig Bets

Quote Originally Posted by Noob
    I'm just shocked that there was a Monson-related thread that wasn't started by Monsonbychoke.

Really. Flabbergasted.
    lol, i actually thought about that as i was making this thread.

Default US wins World wrestling Games. 9 gold medals

fIGURED SOME OF YOU WOULD BE INTERESTED IN THIS.

The United States had a dominant performance at the historic first World Grappling Championships, sweeping all nine gold medals in the final event of the World Wrestling Games in Antalya, Turkey, September 9.

Capturing gold medals in the women’s division were Lisa Ward (Lacey, Wash./United Fight Team) at 48 kg/105.5 lbs., Felicia Oh (Tarzana, Calif./JJ Machado/BJMUTA) at 55 kg/121 lbs., Tara LaRosa (Woodstown, N.J./unattached) at 63 kg/138.75 lbs. and Valerie Worthington (Whittier, Calif./New Breed/Hollywood Brazilian Jiu Jitsu) at 72 kg/158.5 lbs.

Capturing gold medals in the men’s division were Darren Uyenoyama (South San Francisco, Calif./Fogtown Jiu Jitsu) at 62 kg/136.5 lbs., Ricky Lundell (Orem, Utah/Pedro Sauer Team) at 70 kg/154 lbs., Don Ortega (Albuquerque, N.M./No Limits) at 80 kg/176 lbs., Malcolm Havens (Parker, Colo./Grapplers Edge) at 92 kg/202.5 lbs. and JEFF MONSON(Coconut Creek, Fla./Victory Athletics) at 125 kg/275 lbs.

All nine World champions captured gold medals at the USA Wrestling Grappling World Team Trials in Las Vegas, Nev. in June.

The USA won 21 medals out of a possible 35 medals in the event. Included was a sweep of all four medals at the men’s 92 kg/202.5 lbs. division. In convincing terms, the USA has set the bar for the rest of the world in international Grappling competition.

“I really think have a training camp and bringing many of our people together helped. People perish without a vision. Our coaches developed a vision with this team. We didn’t want to just win the championship. We wanted everybody to be the most outstanding we could be, no matter the outcome,” said U.S. World Team Coach Bob Anderson.

It was a great day for the U.S. team, which entered 27 athletes in the field. In the men’s division, four of the five gold-medal finals featured all-USA matchups.

“The team performed at the highest level against great competition,” said U.S. World Team Coach Jason Townsend. “All the athletes had tough matches and pulled through with flying colors. This is the beginning of a new era for Grappling. It was a pioneering effort for USA Wrestling. We were excited to be a part of this historic event, and we will work hard to remain a dominant force for years to come.”

Saw this earlier... good job by the USA

Quote Originally Posted by The Sundance Kid
    lol. sombody beat you to it.

But posted it in it's proper place.
    leave it to me, i am such a ignorant prick.

Thread Information