Thread: Your favorite sweep from full guars / half guard

Default Your favorite sweep from full guars / half guard

With jsut a few jj classes under my belt (once a week for about a month and half) I am curious what sweeps people find most effective or just simple there favorite, so without further ado (sp?) What is your favorite sweep from full guards / half guard / Side control? Answer for one or all 3 if you like. If you want describe how to do them, or I can just look them up in the encyclopedia of video's the great noob has supplied.

I'd give you my favorite sweep but I dont think there is a technical correct name for "flailing around in hopes that you manage to push them off of you all while not leaving them an opening to sub you"

"Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night." -Dave Barry

I like the sit over sweep from guard.

im not sure what its called but the one nick diaz hit on karo in their fight.
    2-1 sig bets.

From full guard I love the elevator sweep. I do it too much though, and most of my training partners see it coming now.

Halfguard, I like the Giva sweep. It's an odd move, picked it up from an instructional. Works really well though, and when defended they can't help but to give you their back.

Wibblywobblywonder

14-4 Sig Bets

I like the scissor sweep because if you don't pull it then you still have lots of options and you didn't give up a vulnerable position.

Quote Originally Posted by Palma Wrestler
    I like the scissor sweep because if you don't pull it then you still have lots of options and you didn't give up a vulnerable position.

I got away with that for a while, but found that, for me at least, it puts me in a more vulnerable position. Guard opened, body far away from theirs, and my foot in a bad spot for an ankle lock.

But done right, it is very pretty.

I also like the Flower Sweep. Easy to do no-gi, and it just looks cool.

Wibblywobblywonder

14-4 Sig Bets

Eddie Bravo's "Old School" sweep from half-guard has worked good for me so far. But I don't really have a favorite, I mainly take whatever is given to me.
    "People say that marijuana is going to hurt my career. I say to them that on the contrary, my fight career is getting in the way of my marijuana smoking." Nick Diaz

Fav fighters: Hendo, Franklin, Shogun, Jeff Curran, Thiago Silva (future LHW champ 5/31/07), The Diaz Brothers

I like the sit up sweep, if you can get your hips up into them enough you can really get some power into it, and if they post sweep side the kimura is right there.
    "Speed plus mass equals destruction" - Brock Lesnar

Don't really have a favourite sweep but instead just work with what you give me. I guess I use the scissor a lot though

Favourite Fighters: Fedor, Sakurai, Aoki, Sakuraba, Cotoure, Kang, Big Nog, GSP, Sudo

Quote Originally Posted by Quinton "Rampage" Jackson
    I don’t talk crap about nobody until after I whoop their ass except in some cases if they have bad breath or they ugly as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimuras"R"Us
    I like the sit up sweep, if you can get your hips up into them enough you can really get some power into it, and if they post sweep side the kimura is right there.
    I get a lot of mileage out of that as well. if they post, you take the kimura, which gives you a sweep even if you don't get the sub. Its works well when you have a strong kimura, people tend to forget to defend the sweep. kimura sweep also works in half guard
    Last edited by willieshatner; 09-17-2007 at 06:08 PM.

Thread Information