Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: found my weakness tonight....

Default found my weakness tonight....

Well....I need some help fellas so any info I can get......the better....

was rolling today and everything was goin great as usual...until I got teamed up with someone with some really long legs........

We were paired for a 3 min round and it absolutely sucked.......

We started with me in his closed guard and it ended there...it was basically one minute of me posturing up and trying to create space to pop open his guard, followed by 2 minutes of him bodytriangling me from the bottom...and I couldnt get the damn thing open!!!.......it was so frustrating!!....

what do you do in this position? I tend to have trouble popping the guards of long legged oppenents.... I wasnt in any danger really....because I really only had to be conscious about arm attacks and a standard guillotine...he never tried to sweep...and never unlocked his legs once!!.....

I just tried to get good posture..work my way down to his lower stomach often succesfully...knee in middle of butt....good balance.... but I couldnt push off....just to tight....

The only thing I could think of after the time was up was.... man.....I dint try a standing guard pass... Is this what I should do??? Anyone know of any high percentage and safe ones???

Im good at passing a think.....just not opening...
    Thanks so much in advance for your time....appreciate it guys...
    www.fight4christmma.com ministry page crazy low prices on gear! $8 T's!

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by kaiz77
    Well....I need some help fellas so any info I can get......the better....

was rolling today and everything was goin great as usual...until I got teamed up with someone with some really long legs........

We were paired for a 3 min round and it absolutely sucked.......

We started with me in his closed guard and it ended there...it was basically one minute of me posturing up and trying to create space to pop open his guard, followed by 2 minutes of him bodytriangling me from the bottom...and I couldnt get the damn thing open!!!.......it was so frustrating!!....

what do you do in this position? I tend to have trouble popping the guards of long legged oppenents.... I wasnt in any danger really....because I really only had to be conscious about arm attacks and a standard guillotine...he never tried to sweep...and never unlocked his legs once!!.....

I just tried to get good posture..work my way down to his lower stomach often succesfully...knee in middle of butt....good balance.... but I couldnt push off....just to tight....

The only thing I could think of after the time was up was.... man.....I dint try a standing guard pass... Is this what I should do??? Anyone know of any high percentage and safe ones???

Im good at passing a think.....just not opening...
    Thanks so much in advance for your time....appreciate it guys...

The only guard break that I know of from the body triangle is the helicopter pass. It would be a nightmare to try and explain by typing it out, and not really worth it since it's not very high percentage anyway.

Basically it's a stalling tactic. You can't break the guard, but he loses a large percentage of his attack options, both subs and sweeps. If someone wants to do that, it's hard to keep them from doing it. That's true for most stall tactics.

Watch Anderson Silva, he does this a lot.

Wibblywobblywonder

14-4 Sig Bets

Long legged guys can be a pain in the ass (I should know; I'm one of em). What I usually do is try to bait a submission from them and pass or counter when they go for it. It's risky but works well if you manage to get a good read on them.

On a related note: last time at training I was paired up with a new guy and I was designated to start from guard bottom. This guy didn't even try to pass but instead Rampage slammed me four times into the mat! I told him calmly that slamming like that was forbidden and his only answer was a Private Pyle-ish panting with the tounge half outside his mouth... freaks :banghead:

Favourite Fighters: Fedor, Sakurai, Aoki, Sakuraba, Cotoure, Kang, Big Nog, GSP, Sudo

Quote Originally Posted by Quinton "Rampage" Jackson
    I don’t talk crap about nobody until after I whoop their ass except in some cases if they have bad breath or they ugly as hell.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ufobydeath
    On a related note: last time at training I was paired up with a new guy and I was designated to start from guard bottom. This guy didn't even try to pass but instead Rampage slammed me four times into the mat! I told him calmly that slamming like that was forbidden and his only answer was a Private Pyle-ish panting with the tounge half outside his mouth... freaks :banghead:

I've had that happen. What's worse is when you explain to them that doing that is not allowed and they act as though that were completely unfair. That bothers me.

List of common annoyances:

Slamming
    Hands or in the face or throat
    Pulling the fingers to break your grip
    Death-gripping the gi and stiff-arming (especially annoying with really big guys who are content to do nothing else, just to stall).
    General spaz behavior
    Last edited by Noob; 10-19-2007 at 01:44 AM.

Wibblywobblywonder

14-4 Sig Bets

Quote Originally Posted by Noob
    I've had that happen. What's worse is when you explain to them that doing that is not allowed and they act as though that were completely unfair. That bothers me.

List of common annoyances:

Slamming
    Hands or in the face or throat
    Pulling the fingers to break your grip
    Death-gripping the gi and stiff-arming (especially annoying with really big guys who are content to do nothing else, just to stall).
    General spaz behavior
    Hmm, check on all of the above
    Worst thing about training submission wrestling is that people seem to think MMA rules apply just because there isn't a gi involved. Some people just shouldn't be let into the gyms

Favourite Fighters: Fedor, Sakurai, Aoki, Sakuraba, Cotoure, Kang, Big Nog, GSP, Sudo

I don’t talk crap about nobody until after I whoop their ass except in some cases if they have bad breath or they ugly as hell.

6. Default

Tsk, tsk. You get no more advice from me. Posting this thread here and at Sherdog. Uh-uh. For shame.

Wibblywobblywonder

14-4 Sig Bets

Quote Originally Posted by Noob
    Tsk, tsk. You get no more advice from me. Posting this thread here and at Sherdog. Uh-uh. For shame.
    Oooooo... not good

lol....I know I know....sherdog is filled with a bunch of idiots.....
    Here was my way of thinking.....the more info I could get from more various viewpoints and levels of skill=the better..

What are you guys looking on sherdog for anyway...lol.....

thanks so much for the info!!....you know you guys are my number 1!!!

9. Default

lol....I know I know....sherdog is filled with a bunch of idiots.....

What are you guys looking on sherdog for anyway...lol.....

Says the guilty man.

thanks so much for the info!!....you know you guys are my number 1!!!

You can't use that line. I have used that line on so many girlfriends (usually soon-to-be-exgirlfriends), and it's always when I knew I was in trouble.

For shame.

Wibblywobblywonder

14-4 Sig Bets

lol........OK OK....I'll man up....you got me......Im sorry

Thread Information