Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: "Kimbo" vs. "Tank" Main Event Canceled

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11

    Default Kimbo - Tank Cancelled

    I'll post it here since I can't in the general MMA forum. The fight between Kimbo Slice and Tank Abbott has been cancelled. No reason was given for the cancellation.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    173

    Default "Kimbo" vs. "Tank" Main Event Canceled

    http://mmajunkie.com/

    An Oct. 12 Cage Fighting Fury Championship main event between Internet brawler Kimbo Slice (0-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) and former UFC fighter David “Tank” Abbott (9-13 MMA, 5-8 UFC) has been canceled, MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned.

    The headline fight between the popular sluggers was supposed to headline CFFC 6 at the Trump Taj Mahal in Atlantic City, N.J., but according to event promoters, the bout has been called off. A reason for the cancelaton wasn’t given.

    Rumors that the bout had scratched surfaced earlier today on The Underground Forum at mma.tv.

    Slice rose to fame as an underground brawler when his fights were marketed on the Internet. The former football player and bodyguard for pornography companies made his MMA debut at CFFC 5 in an exhibition bout with boxer Ray Mercer. Slice needed just 72 seconds to earn the victory via guillotine choke.

    He was then slated to face Abbott, a longtime MMA veteran who made his Octagon debut at UFC 6. He most recently fought in the organization at UFC 45, where he suffered a TKO to Wesley “Cabbage” Correira.

    Despite losing its main event, the CFFC 6 show is expected to go on as scheduled. Former UFC fighters such as Dennis Hallman, Marcio Cruz and “The Ultimate Fighter 5’s” Brian Geragthy are all on the fight card.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    7,911

    Default

    Well.. I guess Tank gets to hold off losing again for a while. I wonder why it was cancelled. Let's go mods.. get moving on this.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    From Parts Unknown
    Posts
    1,699

    Default

    to bad that sucks

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB
    Posts
    984

    Default

    That sucks, I was looking forward to watch this fight.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    683

    Default

    Source?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NOLA
    Posts
    3,995

    Cool

    Damn i hate to admit it but i was looking foward to that fight...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    1,559

    Default

    someone in noob jack city posted this earlier, and i didn't believe him because he had no source.

    I guess I have to go rep him now.

    I was looking forward to that show too. I was even thinking about going to AC for it. I'm glad I didn't make any reservations down there.

  9. Default

    Here's the updated report:


    Earlier this afternoon, a source close to the event told MMAjunkie.com that the event had been scratched. However, according to Sam Caplan of
    fiveouncesofpain.com, Bas Rutten (one of Slice’s training partners) said he hasn’t heard anything about the fight being canceled, and as far he knows, the fight still has a green light. Additionally, The Fight Network also quotes the event’s promoter as saying that the fight will go on, and that the confusion may have stemmed from the event being dropped from iNDEMAND (and will now be streamed on the Internet instead).



    According to Nick Lembo, the counsel to the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board, the card has not been canceled. Lembo indicated he had spoken with CFFC promoter Felix Martinez in the last 24 hours upon hearing some of the rumors. He indicated that Martinez said the show was still on but there are some issues pertaining to the pay-per-view provider. Apparently a deal between CFFC and the initial PPV production company it chose to televise the event is no longer in place.
    I attempted Martinez via phone and e-mail in order to make a request for comment but my e-mail was returned because Martinez’s e-mail box is apparently full and my voicemail has not been returned. Attempts to reach two other CFFC officials were unsuccessful as well. When I mentioned this to Lembo, he indicated that Martinez is busy trying to secure a new broadcast deal for the show.
    I also contacted Bas Rutten for comment in regard to the fight since he trained Slice for his MMA debut against pro boxer Ray Mercer as well as prepping him for the upcoming fight against Abbott. According to Rutten, the fight is still on to his knowledge because Slice has been training with him every day in preparation for Abbott and has made no mention of the fight being canceled.
    More on the story as it becomes available.





    http://www.fiveouncesofpain.com
    Last edited by Noob; 10-03-2007 at 10:48 PM.

    Wibblywobblywonder

    14-4 Sig Bets

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    1,559

    Default

    grumlet is right and he was the first here to post the news.

    someone in the forum just posted this with a source.

    people should rep. grumlet for breaking the news.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •