Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: General Training Questions (Have a Quick Question? Post It Here).

Hybrid View

1. General Training Questions (Have a Quick Question? Post It Here).

Here you go guys. Any general newb questions go here. If this gets popular enough it will be stickied. Enjoy.

Wibblywobblywonder

14-4 Sig Bets

Favourite Fighters: Fedor, Sakurai, Aoki, Sakuraba, Cotoure, Kang, Big Nog, GSP, Sudo

Quote Originally Posted by Quinton "Rampage" Jackson
    I don’t talk crap about nobody until after I whoop their ass except in some cases if they have bad breath or they ugly as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Noob
    Here you go guys. Any general newb questions go here. If this gets popular enough it will be stickied. Enjoy.
    Thanks for the post Noob. As usual, you are a boss.

Just throwin it out there: I played sports for 11 years and over the past several years I have been in and out of various forms of exercise. Recently, I decided to drop some weight and learn some of the fundamentals of MMA.

Don't plan to be a fighter (no delusions here), but I have been looking for a type of training regime that would push me further than I've ever gone before. Figure this one works best because I am mostly in competition with myself.

But before I even seriously consider seeking out MMA training, I just wanted to get a feel if anyone had any tips for exercise, drills, work outs, etc. that could help a beginner get a feel for the type of training to expect.

This field is completely new to me, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks all.

My guide to becoming a fighter.

Cardio, Cardio, Cardio, Cardio, Cardio.

Ok got that? Now do that about 10,000 times a week and then learn some form of grappling *coughBJJcough*, learn how to box, get some thai boxing in. Lift, lift, lift lift. Find a weight you are comfortable at. Watch other people fight, alot. Get punched in the face whenever possiable just to get used to it (even though you're not gonna fight you will probley catch one while sparring). Do A LOT of streatching. Learn to listen and unlearn what you were taught while playing sports. Get submitted 100,000 times, and wait for that perfect shot to choke someone the fuck out.

Oh yeah did I mention cardio.

then you can discount my post as bullshit and listen to someone on here who actully has had a fight or two

I've just started myself.
    Last edited by blackfox; 10-09-2007 at 02:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackfox
    Cardio, Cardio, Cardio, Cardio, Cardio.

Ok got that?
    Yes sir.

Now do that about 10,000 times a week and then learn some form of grappling, learn how to box, get some thai boxing in. Lift, lift, lift lift. Find a weight you are comfortable at.
    Got it. For the first month (considering my limited resources, I am concentrating on grappling and cardio. i'm talking a few of my friends who are blackbelts to step me through some of the processes).

Watch other people fight, alot. Get punched in the face whenever possiable just to get used to it (even though you're not gonna fight you will probley catch one while sparring).
    Yep. I'm figuring that's on the to do list.

I've just started myself.
    What made you start? How was the transition? Had you been keeping up with sports during the time? Problems? Etc.

Thanks dude, that was a baller post.
    Last edited by rafesparza; 10-09-2007 at 02:12 AM.

I'm a night owl, so I'm not really sure. I have class till 8 PM on MT and my work out partner doesn't get out until evenings. I figure for the first month, it's just a matter of getting back into the swing of things.

I dig the question... but I always read that fighters need to adapt to a schedule of early mornings (possibly to help digest and rest?)

So I have no clue.

After the first month, I personally am looking to adapt to vary the work out times for range.

don't vary too much in my experience it wacks your body all out, again this may just be me though.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by rafesparza
    But before I even seriously consider seeking out MMA training, I just wanted to get a feel if anyone had any tips for exercise, drills, work outs, etc. that could help a beginner get a feel for the type of training to expect.

This field is completely new to me, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks all.

My complete honest opinion would be to join a gym. There is absolutely no substitute for an academy. No matter what you can put together at your house or in your backyard, it's just not going to be the same.

That being said, if you absolutely cannot get to a gym for whatever reason, my recommendations:

Circuit training - Weights, resistance exercises, body weight exercises, interval training. Whatever mix you need, as long as your heart rate stays up the entire time.

Kettlebells - Good weight-oriented workout that can be very easily setup to mimic MMA and wrestling/grappling movements and muscle groups.

Heavy Bag, Jump Rope, Pushups, Situps - All of the staple boxing exercises. They haven't been done forever without reason. They work, and you can never go wrong adding a few of these to your workout.

The biggest problem I think you will face, and it is by far the most common thing I hear from people just starting BJJ or MMA is that "it's just not like any other workout." It doesn't matter if you can bench press 2x your body weight, run a 5 minute mile, and cycle for days. It's not that kind of workout. It is completely anaerobic at times, but also can last for 20 minutes in a single roll if you're just messing around or for an entire hour-long class, and it is very difficult to mimic without doing the actual act.

So no matter how much you work out, you are going to come up against a wall past which point you are not really doing yourself a lot of good. This all depends on your physical state, etc. But again, if you can get to a gym then get to one. It is by far the best method.

And a little thing I came across, sounds like it might be up your alley.

http://www.podfitness.com

This is a website that you can sign up for, monthly fee. You give them the music you like to work out to, and you pick from the trainers they have on their website. Last I checked, among their trainers were Bas Rutten and Jeremy Horn. A few others, but I can't remember off the top of my head.

Basically whoever you choose creates a workout for you, and gives you an audio file to put on your ipod or mp3 player. The instructions for the workout are edited into your music, and guide you through the whole workout. You can specify what your goals are, what kind of workout you want, and what intensity you want. I don't remember the price off the top of my head, but it might be something to look into.

Good luck, and stick with it.
    Last edited by Noob; 10-09-2007 at 02:14 AM.

Wibblywobblywonder

14-4 Sig Bets

My complete honest opinion would be to join a gym. There is absolutely no substitute for an academy. No matter what you can put together at your house or in your backyard, it's just not going to be the same.
    I'm completely with you. I'm just way outta shape and know that even the type of sports training I did in the past probably doesn't even scratch the surface. Therefore, I want to make it so that I get back into shape first and then integrate MMA training along the way.

The biggest problem I think you will face, and it is by far the most common thing I hear from people just starting BJJ or MMA is that "it's just not like any other workout."
    Agreed. I forced myself to a twenty minute grappling session on Thursday just to access my own abilities and just get out of the mentality that the gyms will be the only form of exercise. Just figure it's a decent way to start.

Good luck, and stick with it.
    Most def man, you can lower my rep if I don't.

Thanks for the tips.

I've never done any sports my whole life, save for backyard football games. always a computer geek. but I'm tall and lanky and I have an anger problem so a friend suggested I quit watching the UFC and starting training for it. So I did. So it's been fucking hard using muscles I never use not like I'm overweight out of shape I'm not but it's still a killer fucking work out.

The athleat comment was based on watching "Born athleats" get fucking tossed around and choked almost to sleep for thinking they could "handle it" becuase they were athleats before. But like my homeslice noob said BJJ and really fighting in general is like no other workout.

Also butterbean ad butterbeans BJJ instructor both told me born athleats suck. :P

Thread Information