Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gi Review Thread

Exclamation Gi Review Thread

This is a stickied thread, and it is going to be the home for any gi reviews you guys feel like putting together. Also the place to post if you want recommendations on gi purchases.

If you own a gi, have rolled in one, borrowed it from a friend, whatever. Put together a review and submit it here. I will edit and update the thread to include all new admissions.

Eventually I would like to see this become a good reference tool for anyone looking to buy a new gi.

Atama:

Quote Originally Posted by Noob
    This was my first gi, and it treated me well for more than a year as my only gi. I still use it, and it is still holding up well after almost two years of constant use.

Atama's are expensive. I managed to buy this one before their prices went up, but I honestly would not buy another. The gi is great and I would love another, but the prices are too high anymore. There are better deals for the money imo.

Atama does make good products though. If you don't mind the price, you can't go wrong with one. They have been around for a while, and there is nothing wrong with their gi. A very very solid product, and one of the better all around gi's on the market.

I own an Atama single weave. I typically do a gi class at least 2 times a week, and often 3 times.

I have no major complaints about this gi. It is comfortable, well-stitched, and fits me well. The sleeves and pant legs shrunk a little after a few washes, but not enough to be of any consequence.

The color has stayed well, through 2-3 washes per week for more than a year. The gi overall shows no signs of wear, aside from a small catch on the collar, but I believe that was my fault, lol.

The gi is comfortable, looks good, and breaths well. It is sturdy, not overly hot, and an all-around good gi. The only complaint I would have about it is the belt loops on the pants for the drawstring. They are flimsy, and I have had to have them re-stitched once. Other than that it is a good gi and I would recommend it.

For the money there are better deals. If I found another one on sale or on ebay, I would buy it. I would not pay retail for another Atama however. It is a comfortable gi with an assured level of quality, a surefire bet if you don't mind the price tag.

:::::: Official Website for Atama Kimonos - USA ::::::
    Quote Originally Posted by mauladala
    I have an Atama gi, with Royce Gracie Jiu Jitsu's name and insignia stitched on the back. The gi is awesome- thick cotton makeup and great stitching. I actually like the drawstrings on the pants, as mine are in the front and easy to pull and tie- don't seem weak as of yet (8 mos.).

It cost... well... a lot really... I was kinda pissed at how much, so it better last. lol. @ $157 for an A3 gi.

Quote Originally Posted by TriangleChoke View Post

this is my gi. No flag on the back, just a little flag on the shoulder and an Atama Jiu-Jitsu patch. It's a gold weave-it's thick like the double weave, yet it feels really light. It was kind of big when I first got it, but after a few washes the sleeves and legs shrunk up a bit. Comfortable gi and I don't get too hot when rolling around in it.

Bad Boy Kimonos:

Quote Originally Posted by AJL416AZ
    i have a Bad Boy gi, had it for over a year so far, with, on average about 1-2 gi BJJ classes a week.

no holes, no tears, no problems. its comfortable, but the jacket is thick as fuck, so its a little hot while training, but other than that, i have no complaints. and you cant get much more old school MMA than rocking Bad Boy

i have no idea if its a single or double, but from what i know, all Bad Boys are tough ass material.

Brazil Combat Gi:

Quote Originally Posted by Frasedog View Post
    Update on my Brazil Combat Gi. At first I was really excited about the gi. Looked great, felt great..... Wore it twice, washed it like four times (it's black), and it came out of the wash with the patched coming off the sleeves. Not just the patch itself coming off, but the white piping around the patch was separating from it. Pretty irritated to say the least. I e-mailed the company and got a quick response. E-mailed some pics of the patches. They are sending me a few new ones that I'll have to get sewn on. Or they offered me 10% off my next purchase which is a fucking joke. I'll take the patches, thanks.
    -So all in all, their stitching is sub par, only a single stitch around all the patches. I feel it should be double stitched or something to reinforce it better.
    -The gi itself seems to be of good quality, but we'll see how it stands up long term.
    -Customer service is quick to respond and good to deal with, but their offer to me was mediocre at best.
    -And finally I just know I wont get the patches for at least two weeks because they are on a slow boat from Brazil.

Keiko Raca:

Quote Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
    Here's some info some people may appreciate. It would be cool if others could contribute similar stats so we could get a good comparison going.
    I just got a Keiko for Christmas, literally, an hour ago, and I measured it to compare to my old Gameness. So, here are the measurements for two different gis. It would be interesting if someone got a new Gameness single weave A2 so that we could see how much they really shrink.
    I will also update the stats of the Keiko after I've shrunk it a little so people can see how much they can expect it to change with 10-15 minutes of low heat drying. I imagine I will eventually be getting it tailored exactly how I want so I can keep this is a competition gi.

Keiko Raca Limited Edition Kimono / Gi - White
    A2 = 5'7'' - 6'0''ft / 169 - 177cm 141 - 176lb / 65 - 80Kg

Sleeve width: 14 3/4"
    Sleeve length: 29" (taken from outside of collar to tip)
    Collar length: 77 1/2"
    Bottom width: 59"
    Pant width: 19 1/4"
    Pant length: 38 1/4"

Gameness Single Weave Gi
    A2 5'.7" - 5'.9" 140lbs - 165lbs
    One year of use, estimated total dry time of 15 minutes on low heat when new

Sleeve width: 13 3/4"
    Sleeve length: 26 3/8" (taken from outside of collar to tip)
    Collar length: 68 1/2"
    Bottom width: 57 1/2"
    Pant width: 17 3/4"
    Pant length: 35 1/4"

Gameness:

Quote Originally Posted by ScottS

Everyone at my school wears Gameness and I have yet to hear anyone complain. I've had mine for a year and it's my only one. It's still together with only one minor tear on the inside of all places. They don't shrink that much (although avoding a dryer is best) and can be dyed very effectively too.

I also second the HCK gi if you want a starter for cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimuras"R"Us
    I have only used a gameness gi in my 10 months of BJJ (the white platinum one).
    I have only had to use one patch on the knee (very weird place to get a hole, I think it got caught on something). Other than that, there has been pretty much zero wear and tear on the thing. It's a tank. It IS a bit heavy, but I like that anyway as I get a better sweat / workout in when rolling. It's durable as all hell. Zero complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
    Here's some info some people may appreciate. It would be cool if others could contribute similar stats so we could get a good comparison going.
    I just got a Keiko for Christmas, literally, an hour ago, and I measured it to compare to my old Gameness. So, here are the measurements for two different gis. It would be interesting if someone got a new Gameness single weave A2 so that we could see how much they really shrink.
    I will also update the stats of the Keiko after I've shrunk it a little so people can see how much they can expect it to change with 10-15 minutes of low heat drying. I imagine I will eventually be getting it tailored exactly how I want so I can keep this is a competition gi.

Keiko Raca Limited Edition Kimono / Gi - White
    A2 = 5'7'' - 6'0''ft / 169 - 177cm 141 - 176lb / 65 - 80Kg

Sleeve width: 14 3/4"
    Sleeve length: 29" (taken from outside of collar to tip)
    Collar length: 77 1/2"
    Bottom width: 59"
    Pant width: 19 1/4"
    Pant length: 38 1/4"

Gameness Single Weave Gi
    A2 5'.7" - 5'.9" 140lbs - 165lbs
    One year of use, estimated total dry time of 15 minutes on low heat when new

Sleeve width: 13 3/4"
    Sleeve length: 26 3/8" (taken from outside of collar to tip)
    Collar length: 68 1/2"
    Bottom width: 57 1/2"
    Pant width: 17 3/4"
    Pant length: 35 1/4"

Quote Originally Posted by Frasedog View Post
    I currently have a Gameness single weave gi. It is 8 months old, and gets used twice a week. Holding up very well, no complaints. Great value also. Was like $80 + shipping if I recall.

Ground Force Kimonos:

This is a little-known gi company. They make their gis out of hemp. The guy lives in California, buys imported hemp and uses it to make gis. He's in between productions, and has a new line coming out early 2008. I have his email address, and you can order directly from him if you want one.

I bought one just for the novelty of owning it, and to see if it wasn't a diamond in the rough. It cost me $100 after shipping. The guy sent some free patches and a belt included at no extra expense.

I was kind of apprehensive about buying a gi from him, as he had no website and I had to do some research just to find his email address, but in the end it was worth the risk. The owner is really nice and will take the time to answer any questions you have about the gi. One of the best customer service experiences I've ever had.

hempkimonos@hotmail.com

Howard Combat Kimonos:

If you're looking to pinch some pennies but don't want to buy a crappy gi, then this is definitely your best bet. For the money, this is the best gi on the market in my opinion. The cost to quality ratio is really outstanding, and only maybe one or two other gi companies that I know of even come close.

These gis are thick. I can't stress that enough. I just bought one of these, and the lapel is like a horse collar. It is crazy thick. The rest of the gi is thick as well, and is sewn together in a way that you'd take many many years to ever pull this thing apart. I can't see myself ever wearing through this gi. I will probably have it forever.

Like I said, the prices are good. If you're looking to not spend too much, this is the gi you should get.

The sizing in these is tricky though. I bought one that I thought would fit me really snug, and it ended up still being a little too big even after washing. I would say that if in doubt, go smaller. They are very roomy gis.

Update:

Now that I've had a chance to roll in this gi, I have some additions to make to my review.

The gi is good. It's not the greatest gi I've ever worn, but it's definitely worth the $50 I paid for it. Some critiques:

The sleeves are a bit short. Nothing crazy, but just a little more than I would like. This is probably a good thing though, because the cuffs are also a bit wide. Not quite as wide as you would find on a Judo gi, but a bit larger than a typical BJJ gi. I haven't rolled in it extensively yet, but the width of the cuffs could be a problem.

The collar is fucking stiff. There is absolutely 0% chance of me being collar choked while wearing this thing. Just not going to happen. It's big, it's thick, and it's going to last forever. The downside being that it's almost too thick. It's almost like having a piece of cardboard around your neck. I expect this to wear in as I break the gi in over a few weeks.

All in all the gi is solid. Indestructible like a tank. A bit rough, and a bit baggy. All in all, not the greatest gi in the world. But a very solid middle-of-the-pack gi, and very much worth the $50 price tag. If I needed another gi and didn't want to break the bank, I would definitely buy another. A great startup gi if you're a beginner, or a great backup gi if you just want another addition into the rotation.

HCK BJJ KIMONOS

Piranha:

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler4870 View Post
    Ok review time. The piranha is pretty thick and the collar is stiff but not too stiff. It is heavy even for a single weave and tends to be hot, but I sweat like a bitch in heat anyway so it doesn't matter. Overall it's good. The customer service is good too, when I first recieved it , the gi was very long in the arms, I called the compant and they got back to me the next day and gave me all kinds of tips on how to size it. He was very nice. Good company, I will probably buy all my gear from them from now on.
    Last edited by Noob; 05-06-2008 at 05:01 AM.

Wibblywobblywonder

14-4 Sig Bets

Quote Originally Posted by The Sundance Kid
    OK so after doing BJJ with no Gi for 3 months or so. I need a Gi. They sell them at my school for 130 bucks But I'm not real sure what kind. They said they were the best and that they don't make much money off of them. But I assume if they are making any money I could probably find it cheaper online.

What Gi would you recomend for me to get.

I'm looking to spend no more than 130$ or so.

Also, Sizeing, I have no idea of what size I would wear.

My coach said probably an A4 but I don't know what that means.

I have a 36 inch waste and wear a large T shirt.

But probably should be 30 inch waste and wear a M t shirt.

5 foot 9 inches tall. 200LBS.

Thanks Noob.
    Okay, so 5'9'', 200lbs, and you want a moderately-priced gi.

Depending on what you want to pay, I would recommend these:

Gameness:

Very good gi. Normally pretty expensive, but mmawarehouse.com is having a sale on them right now, and a pretty good one at that.

You can pick up a single weave for $70, their 'Pearl' model for $90, or their best model, 'Platinum' for $100. These are very good prices, and pretty rare for Gameness. Gamness is a popular gi, and by all accounts a well-made one too. I've never heard of any serious complaints about them from anyone. I know that they do have thicker-than-average collars.

In Gameness you would probably wear an A-3

http://www.mmawarehouse.com/MMA-Jiu-Jitsu-Gis-s/37.htm

Atama:

This is my personal favorite gi. They are a touch expensive, but worth the money imo. Atama has been around for a while, and they make quality products. They aren't the flashiest of gis, but they are good stuff. I have had an Atama for more than a year now as my only gi and it's held up without a problem.

You can pick up an unbleached single weave for about $110-120. You would also wear an A-3 in these.

http://atama-kimonos.com/products/ki...unbleached.htm

Howard Combat Kimono:

If you're looking to pinch some pennies but don't want to buy a crappy gi, then this is definitely your best bet. For the money, this is the best gi on the market in my opinion. The cost to quality ratio is really outstanding, and only maybe one or two other gi companies that I know of even come close.

These gis are thick. I can't stress that enough. I just bought one of these, and the lapel is like a horse collar. It is crazy thick. The rest of the gi is thick as well, and is sewn together in a way that you'd take many many years to ever pull this thing apart. I can't see myself ever wearing through this gi. I will probably have it forever.

Like I said, the prices are good. If you're looking to not spend too much, this is the gi you should get.

A single weave is likely all you need. You can get an unbleached single for $50, a bleached for $70, and a blue for $80. The shipping is only $12, so you can easily get a very high-quality gi for about $60 after shipping.

You would wear probably wear a 6 top with a 5 bottom. The sizing in these is tricky though. I bought one that I thought would fit me really snug, and it ended up still being a little too big even after washing. I would say that if in doubt, go smaller. They are very roomy gis.

http://www.howardliu.com/catalog/bjj/single.htm

Ground Force Kimonos:

These are a little-known gi company. They make their gis out of hemp. The guy lives in California, buys imported hemp and uses it to make gis. He's in between productions, and has a new line coming out early next year. I have his email address, and you can order directly from him if you want one.

I bought one just for the novelty of owning it, and to see if it wasn't a diamond in the rough. It cost me $100 after shipping. The guy sent some free patches and a belt included at no extra expense. The owner is really nice and will take the time to answer any questions you have about the gi. One of the best customer service experiences I've ever had.

Hope that helps. Let me know what you decide.
    Last edited by Noob; 10-28-2007 at 10:37 PM.

Wibblywobblywonder

14-4 Sig Bets

I have only used a gameness gi in my 10 months of BJJ (the white platinum one).

I have only had to use one patch on the knee (very weird place to get a hole, I think it got caught on something). Other than that, there has been pretty much zero wear and tear on the thing. It's a tank. It IS a bit heavy, but I like that anyway as I get a better sweat / workout in when rolling. It's durable as all hell. Zero complaints.
    "Speed plus mass equals destruction" - Brock Lesnar

I'm definitely going to get a Hemp gi. Thanks for that info Noob. The wallet I have had for 12 years is 100% hemp, and the belt I have had for 12 year is 100% hemp. A gi is going to be great lol.

On a side note/off the wall question, does anyone know where I could find a belt that becomes a pipe like on the movie Dazed & Confused? On a scene in that movie "Pink" Floyd is leaning against the bowling alley and takes his belt buckle off and takes a hit. I'd love one of those belts if anybody knows how to come across one.

......and now back on the gi subject, I have nothing but praise for Gameness.
    "People say that marijuana is going to hurt my career. I say to them that on the contrary, my fight career is getting in the way of my marijuana smoking." Nick Diaz

Fav fighters: Hendo, Franklin, Shogun, Jeff Curran, Thiago Silva (future LHW champ 5/31/07), The Diaz Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by g'nightXX
    I'm definitely going to get a Hemp gi. Thanks for that info Noob. The wallet I have had for 12 years is 100% hemp, and the belt I have had for 12 year is 100% hemp. A gi is going to be great lol.
    It's a pretty interesting idea. I asked the guy why he used hemp, and he sent me this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ground Force Kimonos
    A little re-cap about the new HEMP gi.

Why Hemp?
    - Hemp fibers tencil strength is 4x's stronger than cotton fiber. Which allows me to make a much lighter gi, perfect for hot weather training.

-Hemp is considered an "anti-microbial" fabric. This means mold and fungus can't continue to live and breed once it has reached the surface of the fabric.(for those of us who sometimes forget to wash our gis).

-Hemp is a porous fabric(under magnification it has many holes) this allows sweat to be wicked up very quickly, as this happens air passes through the porous fibers cooling you off faster than cotton.
    also is colder weather it helps to retain body warmth.

-Hemp garments last ages longer than cotton. First Levi's were made of a similar canvas weave to what I am using. the first American flags were made from it too.(both still around by the way)

-Hemp is one of the only fibers that gets stronger when it's wet. Washing in extreme temperatures will not harm it.

-Hemp when washed, constantly reveals new surface area, making it softer and softer with each wash,yet keeping it's strength.

It's an interesting idea, and the price isn't unreasonable. He told me that he has a new batch coming out sometime in the spring, and should have a website up sometime soon. I just emailed him to order mine, and he took my order through Paypal.
    Last edited by Noob; 10-29-2007 at 04:38 AM.

Wibblywobblywonder

14-4 Sig Bets

What's the price range? I can account for the durability of hemp, my wallet and belt have been through hell & are still going strong.
    "People say that marijuana is going to hurt my career. I say to them that on the contrary, my fight career is getting in the way of my marijuana smoking." Nick Diaz

Fav fighters: Hendo, Franklin, Shogun, Jeff Curran, Thiago Silva (future LHW champ 5/31/07), The Diaz Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by g'nightXX
    What's the price range? I can account for the durability of hemp, my wallet and belt have been through hell & are still going strong.

I paid an even $100, and that included shipping. I asked him, and he threw in a belt and some patches and stickers and stuff as well for free.

Wibblywobblywonder

14-4 Sig Bets

I have an Atama gi, with Royce Gracie Jiu Jitsu's name and insignia stitched on the back. The gi is awesome- thick cotton makeup and great stitching. I actually like the drawstrings on the pants, as mine are in the front and easy to pull and tie- don't seem weak as of yet (8 mos.).

It cost... well... a lot really... I was kinda pissed at how much, so it better last. lol. @ $157 for an A3 gi.

Quote Originally Posted by mauladala

Added.

Wibblywobblywonder

14-4 Sig Bets

Quote Originally Posted by The Sundance Kid
    Just got an email from Howard saying that the Gi I ordered was out of stock but they should have some in on this friday and he would ship it out then.

Cool. You'll have to let me know how you like it once you get a chance to roll in it a bit.

Wibblywobblywonder

14-4 Sig Bets

Thread Information