Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gi Review Thread

Again, the HCK is a great value for the money. It's kind of the AK-47 of Gi's. Tough, reliable and cheap. I have no complaints. The guys at my school who like to spend a little money all wear Koral.

Anyone ever wear a Brazil Combat gi? I'm looking to order one very soon, and would like to see some reviews if I can. Also I fall right in the middle of A2 and A3. 5'10" 170 lbs. My current gi is an A3 that was a little big until I shrunk it. Brazil Combat claims their gis are pre shrunk which could be good or bad. Guess I could have it tailored if it was still too big. Any info would be appreciated.

I currently have a Gameness single weave gi. It is 8 months old, and gets used twice a week. Holding up very well, no complaints. Great value also. Was like $80 + shipping if I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Frasedog View Post
    I currently have a Gameness single weave gi. It is 8 months old, and gets used twice a week. Holding up very well, no complaints. Great value also. Was like $80 + shipping if I recall.

Review added, thank you.

C'mon, let's see some more reviews. I would like to see this become a decent reference thread for people looking to buy a gi.

Wibblywobblywonder

14-4 Sig Bets

I have a question on sizes. I'm 6'0 and weight a scale tipping 265, on a good day, 275 on a bad one.... well according to the sizes I would have to get one that is for a 6'5"-6'9" guy, do I get one of those and tailor it or is their another trick. I'm kind of confused?!
    It's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler4870 View Post
    I have a question on sizes. I'm 6'0 and weight a scale tipping 265, on a good day, 275 on a bad one.... well according to the sizes I would have to get one that is for a 6'5"-6'9" guy, do I get one of those and tailor it or is their another trick. I'm kind of confused?!

There is a whole list of tricks to help size a gi appropriately for you.

A tailor is probably not going to help much. I've heard of people who have done it, but by-and-large the material used to make most gi's is thicker than what most tailors are accustomed to working with. Depending on the gi you choose and the tailor you have, you may find otherwise. But in my experience you won't have a lot of luck.

I'm heading out the door now, and don't have a lot of time to get in-depth with all the various factors that can help size a gi, but as a rough list:

Gi manufacturer. (not all gi sizes are created equal. Some companies size for short stocky guys (HCK), others for long-and-lean bodies (Keiko Raca).

Gi material. Some gi's will shrink more than others, depending on the thickness and length of the original cotton fibers. Normally this isn't something you can account for without a fair amount of research, but I know of a few that have definite tendencies to swing one way or the other on shrinkage.

"Pre-Shrunk." Some gi's (normally the ones that go through more processing before they hit the shelves), are effectively 'pre-shrunk' (Koral). Meaning that they have gone through more wash cycles and are not going to shrink much more once you own them. Others are not 'pre-shrunk' and can shrink considerably once you wash them (HCK).

Treatment. You can wash on hot, dry on hot (big-time shrinkage), wash on cold and don't dry at all (minimal shrinkage), or go somewhere inbetween. I have some gi's that I toss in any dryer, at any heat and they come out fine. Others I won't dare wash on anything but cold, and will never put in the dryer for fear they would shrink like an anorexic during Ramadan.

This is a short list. If you have any specific questions, feel free to list them here or shoot me a PM and I'd be glad to help you out.

Wibblywobblywonder

14-4 Sig Bets

TriangleChoke Guest

this is my gi. No flag on the back, just a little flag on the shoulder and an Atama Jiu-Jitsu patch. It's a gold weave-it's thick like the double weave, yet it feels really light. It was kind of big when I first got it, but after a few washes the sleeves and legs shrunk up a bit. Comfortable gi and I don't get too hot when rolling around in it.

^^ Added. Thanks.

Wibblywobblywonder

14-4 Sig Bets

I just bought a Pirhana gear single weave gi today, I'll let you know in a couple weeks how it is.
    It's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.

good to hear all the high praise for gameness, i just picked up a pair on the weekend.

right now the gi has been a budo. very nice, high quality well fitting, thick but not too sweaty for the summers. this gi has been going strong for 2 years and it's like new.

Budo-Gear.com - Premium Heavy Judogi

great gi.

Quote Originally Posted by tapper View Post
    good to hear all the high praise for gameness, i just picked up a pair on the weekend.

right now the gi has been a budo. very nice, high quality well fitting, thick but not too sweaty for the summers. this gi has been going strong for 2 years and it's like new.

Budo-Gear.com - Premium Heavy Judogi

great gi.
    I always imagined that you had a shaved head and a mustash...

Thread Information