Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Abuse of the rep system.

Abuse of the rep system.

We have been noticing some abuse in the rep system with people repping each other back and forth to get each others rep up moreso than to reward good posts. We will be deleting these these reps (and in so reducing the rep of those involved).

It's okay to rep someone because you like them or had a good discussion but when when a user has a much higher reputation than they should because they have been repeatedly repped in a scheme it increase their rep is when it becomes an issue.

Any questions about this should go in here.

So are you doing this in addition to increasing the minimum to gain access to the videos/post in the main forum. it seems like you should do one the other but not both. don't you have to rep 10 people in between the time that you re-rep someone?

but then again i dont see how fast everyone's rep goes up.
    Last edited by Jarico; 10-23-2007 at 08:23 AM.
    You will be missed but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Clint
    We have been noticing some abuse in the rep system with people repping each other back and forth to get each others rep up moreso than to reward good posts. We will be deleting these these reps (and in so reducing the rep of those involved).

It's okay to rep someone because you like them or had a good discussion but when when a user has a much higher reputation than they should because they have been repeatedly repped in a scheme it increase their rep is when it becomes an issue.

Any questions about this should go in here.

Nice use of the new post icon.

And yes, I am behind this announcement. It is a necessary change.

Wibblywobblywonder

14-4 Sig Bets

Quote Originally Posted by Jarico
    So are you doing this in addition to increasing the minimum to gain access to the videos/post in the main forum. it seems like you should do one the other but not both. don't you have to rep 10 people in between the time that you re-rep someone?

but then again i dont see how fast everyone's rep goes up.
    Yeah that is supposed to prevent it but when you have 8 or 10 people all repping each other like that daily it gets out of hand. It won't affect most people, so you shouldn't have any worries.
    Last edited by Clint; 10-23-2007 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clint
    Yeah that is supposed to prevent it but when you have 8 or 10 people all repping each other like that daily it gets out of hand.
    There are definitely members that just rep back and forth and as well members who just rep indiscriminately just giving it out so that they get a rep return or maybe so that they can rep back and forth with their buddy. And there are also members that have multiple accounts and leverage that. It's a tough system to police. Pretty soon anyone that has been around for a year will have 1000+ rep at the rate the system is building onto itself. It's like a pyramid scheme.

Just a thought. I think maybe instead of increasing the limit of rep distribution to 15 a day, it should get pushed down to like 5 a day. This will help keep the abuse a little bit more in check. The number of reps you need before returning it to the same person should be higher than how many you can give out in a day. Therefore in one sitting you can't just give out a ton of rep just to go back to someone and rep/neg them again.

I think we can live with a limit of 5 a day. It will really help to keep the numbers and fraud under control.

Good luck guys, it's a tough issue to conquer.
    Last edited by TravelinMonty; 10-23-2007 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TravelinMonty
    There are definitely members that just rep back and forth and as well members who just rep indiscriminately just giving it out so that they get a rep return or maybe so that they can rep back and forth with their buddy. And there are also members that have multiple accounts and leverage that. It's a tough system to police. Pretty soon anyone that has been around for a year will have 1000+ rep at the rate the system is building onto itself. It's like a pyramid scheme.

Just a thought. I think maybe instead of increasing the limit of rep distribution to 15 a day, it should get pushed down to like 5 a day. This will help keep the abuse a little bit more in check. The number of reps you need before returning it to the same person should be higher than how many you can give out in a day. Therefore in one sitting you can't just give out a ton of rep just to go back to someone and rep/neg them again.

I think we can live with a limit of 5 a day. It will really help to keep the numbers and fraud under control.

That's a fantastic idea. I didn't know of the problem until the other day and this would at least slow people down.

Maybe to add to this once you reach certain rep points you then have the ability to rep more people per day. IE if you are < 100 rep you get 2 people per day and then if you are 100-200 you get 4 people, and then at 200-300 you get 6 people per day. Ah hell who am I kidding? I think max I have rep'd 3 people in one day including a neg rep.
    Don't censor me bro!

Quote Originally Posted by thebwit
    That's a fantastic idea. I didn't know of the problem until the other day and this would at least slow people down.

Maybe to add to this once you reach certain rep points you then have the ability to rep more people per day. IE if you are < 100 rep you get 2 people per day and then if you are 100-200 you get 4 people, and then at 200-300 you get 6 people per day. Ah hell who am I kidding? I think max I have rep'd 3 people in one day including a neg rep.

Hey! Where's my rep for that??

Just kidding... please don't. I can't resist a good opportunity for irony or sarcasm. LOL

Actually, the problem ends up multiplying at the higher rep levels... so it needs to be across the board, maybe excluding mods, hopefully you can trust that they will not abuse it.
    Last edited by TravelinMonty; 10-23-2007 at 09:22 AM.

Hey! Where's my rep for that??

Just kidding... please don't. I can't resist a good opportunity for irony or sarcasm. LOL
    Heh I about did but then thought nah I don't want to get called out on it.
    Don't censor me bro!

ive been here for a while. everyday, and look at my rep? there are people that have been in here for just a month er two with 1000 rep
    "I’m ready. It doesn’t matter with who or where. On foot or on horseback. With maces or poleaxes. To fight. To first blood or to death. It doesn’t matter, I’m ready to fight. "
    -Aleksander Emelianenko

TriangleChoke Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gogoplata
    ive been here for a while. everyday, and look at my rep? there are people that have been in here for just a month er two with 1000 rep
    maybe they post more than you do

Thread Information