Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Heavyweight Division

Post The Heavyweight Division

In my opinion, the heavyweight title is the least credible right now in the UFC. No one has really dominated for any real length of time while having a great list of real challenge ahead of them. Some could say AA was dominating, but the talent pool just wasn’t very stacked at the time he was champion. Really, the only challenge he had was going to be a motivated Tim Silvia. Now, if Silvia retains the title, or even if AA gains it back, do you see them holding onto it for very long? I see Brandon Vera taking the title from either of them in the near future, possible before the year is out if he can get a shot by then.

What are your thoughts?
    "If there's a little blood, people like to see blood, it makes it interesting." - Forrest Griffin

I'm not liking this continous trend of people being quick to take away from Arlovski's little run there the past few years just because he got caught in a fight he was pretty much on his way of winning (for the second time against the same opponent) before the flash knockdown that left him screwed position wise and unable to do anything. He destroyed everyone on his path to the title, a list that is pretty impressive. Does it match up with the Heavyweight picture in PRIDE? No. Runs like Fedor's current one, Nog's past run, etc? Nah. But by UFC standards he did some pretty impressive shit. He's in the middle of what I believe will be a small set back, before dominating a third fight with Sylvia. After he does that everyone will be on his bandwagon again, because once he's 2-1 against Sylvia, than big Tim is out of his way for good and there's no one else (in the near future at least) that looks to be any big obstacle for him to get past. He'll be on top and dominating his opponents and everyone will be wishing he'd jump to PRIDE to see how good he really is like they were before.

This wasn't just to you jimmyterrell, but I've seen a lot of people in a subtle way kind of take away from Arlovski's run prior to the last Sylvia fight which I think is kinda stupid.

if it were Monson vs Silvia, I say Monson is the next champ

but since AA gets his rematch, I think he wins and reigns as champ until Vera is ready to take it from him.. I dont think Vera is ready yet, yes he beat Assuerio but thats a fight IMO that he wont win every time, Vera is hot right now and continued that streak by beating him but Assurieo should enough IMO to make me believe he was a handful for Vera, I was suprised to see Vera win in what I thought was the only way he could.. I didnt see Vera beating him standing up although hes much more versitile with his stand-up game I just didnt see him knocking out Silva, and I thought if it stayed standing up that Assuerio would eventually KO Vera, I didnt see Vera being able to take down Assuerio either and winning that battle as well... but low and behold Assuerio is in the process of taking down Vera and he locks in a gulliontine.

Assuerio I think is a viable contendor for the belt too.. against either Silvia or AA, he just needs more fights under his belt.. the guy has the makings of a contender for sure and knows what hes doing in the octagon.

I see what you mean. Arlovski did suffer a flash knockout that no one could have recovered from. I'm not so sure he will not suffer the same fate again, since that can happen to anyone that steps into the Octogon with Sylvia. However, it is those types of wins that make that belt jump from fighter to fighter in that division, which is why I see it as very unpredictable. Also, from what I said before, now that I think more about it, I think Vera would certainly have more of a challange against AA than he would against Sylvia, since AA is more well rounded.

I would love to see AA in Pride, just to see how he matches up. I frustrates me that there have to be multiple company's like that, but I guess that is just how the cookie crumbles...
    "If there's a little blood, people like to see blood, it makes it interesting." - Forrest Griffin

I think Vera-Arlovski would be interesting. I'm really curious about this Vera guy now, I really wanna see what he's got against the big boys now. Thing is, I think Arlovski is too good for him, and in the case of Sylvia I think the size/strength disadvantage would be too much for Vera. But I'm looking forward to seeing Vera step up in competition now.

HW division is slacking,LHW is on the downfall,LW is still young,and MW is losing some of it's luster(note the MW division is improving and have a lot of good young fighters).the only one real constant is the ww division.that division is stacked with great fighters.

I think Vera would take AA.. Hands down... His kicks would keep AA out of reach for the KO and if it went to the ground... well... That would be fun.... FOR VERA that is... cause it would only be a matter of sec's b4 he makes AA tap out...

like ive said in earlier threads. the new boys in the hw divison, vera, monson and pe de pano are going to become the top dogs sooner rather then later. if aa beats sylvia then sylvia is out of the ufc and monson takes the title in the next match followed by a monson vera fight which is up in the air as for the winner. but if sylvia wins then aa my be kept as a gatekeeper of sorts and i can see a vera fight in the near future with vera winning. monson beats sylvia and then vera monson for the title.

if pe de pano becomes proficient with his standup he has a very good chance of contending for the title as well. him with solid stand up is very similar to vera with IMO pe de pano having the slight edge on the ground and vera on the feet they are both long and lanky and i think give pe de pano a few more mma fights and those two would have a great fight.
    Fabricio Werdum, The Future

I agree with Matt, AA isn't really getting any of the respect he deserves. I think we're all a little to quick to knock a fighter whenever he loses a match. I've never read so many derogatory things about Gracie in my life as I have the last two days. AA got caught with a lucky punch, I still think Sylvia doesn't show his normal confidence when he's in the ring with AA. I like Arlovski in the first round of their next fight, when he drops Sylvia he'll go for a submission instead of trying to knock him out like he did in their second fight.

As far as Vera goes, I think he's a great fighter but I'm not sold on him as a heavyweight. He's just not build like a heavyweight and against a striker such as Arlovski or Sylivia, I think if he got caught once his lack of size and frame wouldn't allow for him to absorb anything more than that. I think he'd get overpowered in a lot of heavyweight matches and that he might be able to completely dominate a lower weight class.

As much as I liked sylivia as the underdog, His win was pure luck. AA over committed himself, and sylvia caught him. He wasnt dominated by sylvia, Id look for a better AA in the next fight with Sylvia, more rounded now that he knows some fighters can be considered a easy fight. And still pull out a win, when things fall in there favor. I gotta think when AA gets the belt back, and I stress when. He might just be able to put together a long title, streak with the ufc heavywieght belt.

Thread Information