Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North-south position submissions

Default North-south position submissions

What are some effective submissions from this position? Besides a north-south choke, kimura, or armbar if you can swing your legs and hips around quick enough.

I'm just looking for more options.

Quote Originally Posted by thechampishere
    What are some effective submissions from this position? Besides a north-south choke, kimura, or armbar if you can swing your legs and hips around quick enough.

I'm just looking for more options.
    reverse guillotine... or is that what you mean by north/south choke?

and if you had someone pinned down enough, you could possibly just try and smother their ass to fuck up their breathing really bad.

There are lots of things you can hit from north south. Just depends what the guy is giving you. If you're going to armbar from n/s, you need to have one, preferably both arms wrapped up.

You can get a "whose your daddy" and trap their arm too.

In gi: breadcutter (my...bread and butter), keylock, you can begin a brabo here too. Each of these depend on how your arms are.
    No gi: The "monson" posted above, although it's pretty hard to secure, begin a brabo.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by unquiet
    There are lots of things you can hit from north south. Just depends what the guy is giving you. If you're going to armbar from n/s, you need to have one, preferably both arms wrapped up.

You can get a "whose your daddy" and trap their arm too.

Whose Yo Daddy is a great position. That is one of my best weapons, and it's very effective against larger/stronger opponents.

You can transition to it very easily from an armbar attempt in mount. The defense to the armbar is for them to trap their arm, to prevent you from extending it. That allows you to reach behind their head and grab their wrist.

Very quick, very easy, and it takes advantage of "correct" behavior on their part. They aren't doing anything wrong, but it works to your advantage regardless.

Wibblywobblywonder

14-4 Sig Bets

I like to go n/s and kimura. Hook the arm, n/s, pull up so they are on their shoulder and squeeze your knees to hold them there, switch your grip and apply the kimura.

One of my fav subs from here is a shoulder/compression crank.....and it works GREAT!!....

you use it typically vs. strong guys because its set up is the same as a kimura....but you switch to this technique if the guys is too powerful and you just cant seem to pop his arm back behind his back....

If you find you cant get the Kimura...(attacking his left arm)....
    stop gripping your right wrist...and shove your underhook deeper....so that you are able to grab your right shoulder tightly....(note you still have his left arm underhooked)....
    from there...with your right arm....trap his forearm in tight by reaching over and grabbing your left elbow......
    now rotate your upper torso to the left...(with the goal of getting your right elbow on the mat)......thus creating the shoulder lock....and it helps me to sprawl my legs back for a good base...(his head should be at about you mid back..completely off to your side)
    finish by squeezing your elbows in TIGHT!!

It is extremely painful!!!....when done correctly it is very high percentage in my experience!........I really like it because most people just think they are safe just by defending the kimura and not allowing it behind their back......THEY ARE DEFINITELY WRONG!......Use this fellas!....it will step up your N/S a great deal....

Happy Training
    www.fight4christmma.com ministry page crazy low prices on gear! $8 T's!

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by kaiz77
    One of my fav subs from here is a shoulder/compression crank.....and it works GREAT!!....

you use it typically vs. strong guys because its set up is the same as a kimura....but you switch to this technique if the guys is too powerful and you just cant seem to pop his arm back behind his back....

If you find you cant get the Kimura...(attacking his left arm)....
    stop gripping your right wrist...and shove your underhook deeper....so that you are able to grab your right shoulder tightly....(note you still have his left arm underhooked)....
    from there...with your right arm....trap his forearm in tight by reaching over and grabbing your left elbow......
    now rotate your upper torso to the left...(with the goal of getting your right elbow on the mat)......thus creating the shoulder lock....and it helps me to sprawl my legs back for a good base...(his head should be at about you mid back..completely off to your side)
    finish by squeezing your elbows in TIGHT!!

It is extremely painful!!!....when done correctly it is very high percentage in my experience!........I really like it because most people just think they are safe just by defending the kimura and not allowing it behind their back......THEY ARE DEFINITELY WRONG!......Use this fellas!....it will step up your N/S a great deal....

Happy Training

:gotpics:

Wibblywobblywonder

14-4 Sig Bets

Yeah, pics or anything? I can't visualize how that involves north south. Unless you're counting the set up to the failed kimura..?

Thanks for all the help guys (and girls?). It's taking me a while to get through everything, but it's been really helpful.

And yeah, pics are very helpful. Thanks again!

Thread Information