Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cro Cop...Muay Thai or Kickboxing?

matto Guest

judo and sambo have great sweeps and throws and actually stole a lot of jj submissions. but offer there own ones too, but sombo and judo are alike jj, but judo throws are effortless and u fell like u slammed somebody down in wrestling but u really didnt use mutch strenght. but taekwando isnt good for mma, but i still should be calling it garbage. its good for people to let some steam out and get a good work out even if it isnt affective. and muy thai is sweet, cause u eaiter use no gloves or very small gloves and use kicks,punches,elbows,and knees so it is perfect for a allaround mma. but iv been in boxing for a while and i could win a few good fights wiht that alone, they really dont stress the punching part of it and could easily ko somebody who isnt concerned about it. i love to incorperate elbows and knees too. i dont know why i just dont like to kick for some reason, i really need to improve in that area, but my punches,elbows and knees r pritty good for the level that im at, but u wont see me in mma for a while. i would love to go to a camp eventually and use them all together cause i have to go to like 4 different places to get everything and thats not imcluding my strength and cardio i do at the gym every day. at mma camps they have it all, wrestling,striking,submissions and conditioning, that would be great.

You going for MMA as career,i.e. ufc, pride?
    Member with the most bans and still with his original account.

"Make a joke and I will sigh and you will laugh and I will cry. Happiness I cannot feel and love to me is so unreal."-Black Sabbath

Quote Originally Posted by matto
    i do bjj,judo,sambo,wrestling,boxing,and ganna start muy thai in a couple of months.
    I was wondering how much that all costs. Or do you have sponsors?
    Member with the most bans and still with his original account.

"Make a joke and I will sigh and you will laugh and I will cry. Happiness I cannot feel and love to me is so unreal."-Black Sabbath

matto Guest

the shitty thing is that i dont have mutch time for it cause of school, my mom doesnt understand that i wont need school material for my mma career.if i got an early start that would be great but it sucks that i dont have the time i should to train, but for u, u should try and find a place that has it all or close to all, iv seen someplaces that train bjj,judo, and muythai all together and that would be ur best bet because it would be cheaper then going to each individual place and less driving, and one of the places i go actually trains u how to incorperate ur striking,wrestling and submisssion for mma, its like a basically teaches u how to fight in mma with what uv learned. but none of those places condition u, i go to they gym and do a lot of weight training and do a lot of cardio too. the boxing place i go to has a lot of drills to improve my fight conditioning too, cause fighiting isnt just like running on a treadmill, u have to condition urself for fighting by doing drills related to fighting as well. u should try and find an all out mma school that teaches everything mma, strikeing,wrestling,and submission, and with weight training and cardio. but im not that lucky so i have to go to a bunch of different places. u whould pay a lot less to go to a mma training center then to go to a bunch of martial arts places. and if u do go to seperate martial arts places u must make sure u know how to make urself adjust from one style to another within a second. cause u dont have time to think u have to make it a reflex.

matto Guest

i also have a lot of weight aquipment at home alone with cardio machines and a heavybag and a speed bag for when im at home. which id recomend. my situation is a pain in the ass cause i have to go to so many places. u might want to search for mma places around u online.

Quote Originally Posted by God
    If you're referring to the competitions I said, I don't exactly rememberwhere it took placce, but it definitely happened in 1976. It's on the net, I'm trying to search for it now.
    I'm referring to a lot of things you post. But as for this thread, try re-reading what I posted in the context of the question. When you read kickboxing, you automatically assumed it was a reference to American kickboxing. Kickboxing today is just a general label used to describe numerous forms of kickboxing. Thus the reason some websites, as the original person asked, kickboxing is used when other websites use Muay Thai.

As for the person who said there arent any elbow strikes in kickboxing, if we're going to treat it as a discipline, then that's also incorrect. You can strike with your elbow in (american or north american) kickboxing if you are wearing elbow pads.
    “I Just Killed Kenny! You Bastard!”

Quote Originally Posted by Kewl144
    Muay Thai is a form of kickboxing. Its the same thing as saying someone practices Jiu-Jitsu on some sites and saying they practice Gracie (for example) Jiu-Jitsu on other sites. Kicking boxing is just a basic label.
    you got it backwards. kickboxing is a form of muay thai. kickboxing is the western style, as muay thai is the original.

Quote Originally Posted by nsb7873
    you got it backwards. kickboxing is a form of muay thai. kickboxing is the western style, as muay thai is the original.
    again, you assumed I was referring to North American kickboxing, which I'm not. Today, kickboxing is just a blanket term (and again, try to keep it in context of the question on page 1 )
    “I Just Killed Kenny! You Bastard!”

Quote Originally Posted by matto
    the shitty thing is that i dont have mutch time for it cause of school, my mom doesnt understand that i wont need school material for my mma career.if i got an early start that would be great but it sucks that i dont have the time i should to train, but for u, u should try and find a place that has it all or close to all, iv seen someplaces that train bjj,judo, and muythai all together and that would be ur best bet because it would be cheaper then going to each individual place and less driving, and one of the places i go actually trains u how to incorperate ur striking,wrestling and submisssion for mma, its like a basically teaches u how to fight in mma with what uv learned. but none of those places condition u, i go to they gym and do a lot of weight training and do a lot of cardio too. the boxing place i go to has a lot of drills to improve my fight conditioning too, cause fighiting isnt just like running on a treadmill, u have to condition urself for fighting by doing drills related to fighting as well. u should try and find an all out mma school that teaches everything mma, strikeing,wrestling,and submission, and with weight training and cardio. but im not that lucky so i have to go to a bunch of different places. u whould pay a lot less to go to a mma training center then to go to a bunch of martial arts places. and if u do go to seperate martial arts places u must make sure u know how to make urself adjust from one style to another within a second. cause u dont have time to think u have to make it a reflex.
    stay in school man. best thing you can do. good luck with the mma career if u do decide to go through it

my god! all you guys need to stop this arguing about this. many of you have this shit all mixed up. the SPORT of muay thai has been around for about six hundred years. muay thai was created from the thai military's hand-to-hand combat (call lerdrit or pahuyuth). it was the developed in to the sport called muay thai. these military styles which muay thai is derived from have been around for thousands of years, not muay thai itself.

first of all crocop is kickboxing not muay thai because he was taught and fought under non-muay thai rules in a kickboxing gym. muay thai traditionally is the fighting style of thailand. but usually muay thai is just a form of rules for kickboxing (allowing knees and elbows). but if you learn boxing, kickboxing and muay thai, the hands in each of them will be taught different, which makes things confusing. I learn muay thai but the hands are from boxing. this does not mean I don't learn muay thai because I disregard the traditional way the hands are used in muay thai.

the way you are taught will make the difference in the technique the only difference is that if you learn kickboxing you will learn little or no knees and no elbows for your rules you will fight in. so really muay thai is better because muay thai is kickboxing with added and VERY effective techniques.

a muay thai fighter will be ready for a kickboxer, but a kickboxer will not be ready for a muay thai fighter.
    Last edited by ThaiRoundhouse; 08-30-2006 at 08:34 AM.
    Overeem > Lesnar. Hopefully Dana will man up.

Thread Information