Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boxer Riddick Bowe Will Enter In MMA Sport

Warchief Guest

Lightbulb Boxer Riddick Bowe Will Enter In MMA Sport

Former boxing heavyweight champion Riddick Bowe (42-1, 33 KOs) has had trouble finding boxing matches due to medical concerns. He's been trying to get fights since 2004, with no luck. He had to declare bankruptcy in 2005 and has now decided to give the sport of mma a try, inking a deal with Xcess Entertainment.

According to MSNBC, the promotion has signed Bowe an exclusive contract that will begin on December 12, though no date has been set for his first fight.

Bowe On His Reasons For Signing:

Iíve got to make a living for my family.

Bowe On Rumors Of Possible Boxing Matches The Past Few Years:

They were all just rumors. Nobody wanted to let me fight. They said I have brain damage or something, but itís not true. I just want to fight. If Evander Holyfield (45 yrs. old) can fight so can I. I just turned 40.

Bowe On The Advantage He Would Have Against MMA Fighters:

I got these two fast hands. If I touch you with these someone is going out quick. Iíve got to make a living.

Riddick Bowe is said to be training with former UFC heavyweight champion Mark Kerr and will be the first former boxing heavyweight champion to step inside the cage. His one loss in a boxing ring came to fellow heavyweight boxing legend Evander Holyfield and was twice avenged.
    http://www.mmafightline.com/news/2007/1110/307848.shtml

Riddick in MMA? Interesting.

It's a bad idea. I can see if these guys were in their prime, but to fight when they are clearly not is dangerous.

Plus, I find it funny that boxers are trying to get into MMA. What are they trying to prove? You don't see any MMA fighters leaving to be boxers.

does anyone know of a live stream for today's event? thanks alot

Warchief Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jbart321
    Plus, I find it funny that boxers are trying to get into MMA. What are they trying to prove?
    Most of them are just broke and looking for alternative, to make a living.

Quote Originally Posted by Warchief
    Most of them are just broke and looking for alternative, to make a living.
    agreed

This will be a quick career.

He'll probably get tapped by Guilotene, Key Lock, and then for good measure Arm Bar.

But I'd pay money to see someone KO that dude.
    CAUTION: This poster is prone to outbursts of unthinkable obscenities. If you encounter one of these incredible tirades, please do not provoke him further. This poster has been known to place himself, and his foes in a position to be banned. The best way to avoid such incidents would be to avoid stating anything negative about Jake Shields.

Bowe has a considerable case of brain damage from his years of boxing. He slurs his words, he hasn't been at a good fighting weight in 15 years maybe. For his own safety I'd like him to drop this idea. I like Bowe, always have but he's quite the sad case and I don't think any of the old time boxers who want to come into the MMA world are ready for the commitment it takes to be successful.

Poor RIddick. From world heavyweight champion to school custodian. What a sad, sad case he is.

Quote Originally Posted by jbart321
    It's a bad idea. I can see if these guys were in their prime, but to fight when they are clearly not is dangerous.

Plus, I find it funny that boxers are trying to get into MMA. What are they trying to prove? You don't see any MMA fighters leaving to be boxers.
    Ummm Mark Hunt, Jens Pulver, Chris Lytle, Jeff Monson?

as far as this is concerned, please dont Bowe.. your the man, dont fuck that up.
    Last edited by Afro; 11-10-2007 at 04:59 PM.
    "CB Dollaway made a bad decision and now he gets a 2nd chance to earn a victory tonight against CB Dollaway" - Mike Goldberg
    Fav MMA: Sudo, Stevenson, Shields, Kid, Werdum, Hendo, Rampage, Gomi, Sakurai, Okami, Penn, Kawajiri, Big Nogs

Fav Boxers: Sam Peter, RJJ, Pacman, Dawson, Frazier, Hatton, Winky Wright, Paul Williams, SSM, Miranda, Cotto, Linares

Terrible idea Riddick, don't do it please. I'm not sure if the AC's will even let him do this. He's one of the most underrated great boxers of all time, I don't wanna see him get humiliated in MMA.
    "People say that marijuana is going to hurt my career. I say to them that on the contrary, my fight career is getting in the way of my marijuana smoking." Nick Diaz

Fav fighters: Hendo, Franklin, Shogun, Jeff Curran, Thiago Silva (future LHW champ 5/31/07), The Diaz Brothers

Yea, why would the AC's be any different towards him just cause its mma, i assume if you can't find fights in boxing due to medical conditions, that the same conditions will still exisist if he tries a different sport, doesnt make much sense imo.
    Last edited by valheruking; 11-10-2007 at 05:16 PM.

Thread Information