+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is Chuck Liddell held in such high regard?

Default Why is Chuck Liddell held in such high regard?

First off, this is no knock on Chuck Lidell because I think he is a great fighter and a very humble champion. Certainly the best the UFC has in the 205lb class.

But didnt Rampage Jackson hand him a pretty sound defeat not too long ago? 11/2003.

It seems like he is considered hands down the best 205lber in the world by many people.

Thanks for your thoughts.

If you knew anything about Chuck you would know that he fought that fight with a torn hamstring and fought anyways because he's a gamer. That is a pretty bad injury to have when you are a brawl and sprawler and need to have every bit of strength from your legs for your takedown defense as well as your leg kicks. To see why he is regarded so highly you should take a look at his previous fights and see if any of his opponents names ring a bell with you. His victories have come over some pretty impressive fighters. Chuck and Wanderlei are the best two 205 lbers and if by some miracle pride and the ufc workout a deal they will fight...but I wouldn't hold your breathe.

I'd have to agree with djpowers. Just look at his opponents and what he's done to nearly all of them. Chuck is held in such high esteem because he'll fight anyone at any time. The only loss he hasn't avenged is the one to Rampage, which I'm sure Chuck would avenge given the chance. I'm a big fan of The Iceman and I think he deserves all his success at the moment. He's not brash or cocky and he's an exciting fighter who gives the fans what they want to see. I can't see anyone beating Chuck at the moment - especially in the UFC. The light-heavyweight division looks pretty thin at the moment. Only Tito seems to be the only genuine threat but I think a rematch between the two will end the same way. Who knows though right?!!

Suloev, Randleman, Ortiz, Babalu twice, Couture twice, Horn, Monson, Overeem, Belfort, Pele, Mezger and Bustamante. Is that enough regard for ya patna!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by djpowers33
    If you knew anything about Chuck you would know that he fought that fight with a torn hamstring and fought anyways because he's a gamer. That is a pretty bad injury to have when you are a brawl and sprawler and need to have every bit of strength from your legs for your takedown defense as well as your leg kicks. To see why he is regarded so highly you should take a look at his previous fights and see if any of his opponents names ring a bell with you. His victories have come over some pretty impressive fighters. Chuck and Wanderlei are the best two 205 lbers and if by some miracle pride and the ufc workout a deal they will fight...but I wouldn't hold your breathe.
    blah blah, to start off i'm not a chuck fan, dont like sellouts, dont make excuses for him in his rampage fight, if he is half the fighter you think he is he didnt make excuses. i'll be the first to admit he got skills, but i would like to see him fight a striker, not a wrestler, bjj guy, freestyler and what not, an actual striker, if he ko's a few of those type of fighters then he will truly shut up the critics.

Quote Originally Posted by tapper
    blah blah, to start off i'm not a chuck fan, dont like sellouts, dont make excuses for him in his rampage fight, if he is half the fighter you think he is he didnt make excuses. i'll be the first to admit he got skills, but i would like to see him fight a striker, not a wrestler, bjj guy, freestyler and what not, an actual striker, if he ko's a few of those type of fighters then he will truly shut up the critics.
    How is Chuck a sellout? lol. As for strikers, how about his ass whoopin of Vitor in his prime? Like he said, he'll fight anyone -- Rampage,Wanderlei -- anyone, and it still won't make it out of the first round. But that still wouldn't shut his critics up -- just force them to call him new names.

Hell I hate liddell but I can still admit that it is going to take a Wandy or Shogun level of fighter to give him a run for his money. Since the Rampage fight Chuck has hit his prime and Rampage keeps dropping out of his.

Quote Originally Posted by steelebone
    Suloev, Randleman, Ortiz, Babalu twice, Couture twice, Horn, Monson, Overeem, Belfort, Pele, Mezger and Bustamante. Is that enough regard for ya patna!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    This should answer the threadstarter's question.
    - Ryan
    "Zombies? Who ever said anything about zombies?
    I'm only here for the beer and the bitches!"

Quote Originally Posted by Clint
    Hell I hate liddell but I can still admit that it is going to take a Wandy or Shogun level of fighter to give him a run for his money. Since the Rampage fight Chuck has hit his prime and Rampage keeps dropping out of his.
    Id still take Rampage over Chuck... not now ofcourse cuz RAmpage has been in a slump but Rampage is only 28 years old.. he was 25 when he beat Chuck.. Chuck was alot younger then too and in his prime, so personally Rampage in his prime IMO would take Chuck.. but now id give the edge to Chuck for sure

as for chuck vs Wandy or Shogun.. ya it be a close fight for sure but I believe Wandy would beat Chuck, Shogun possibly too.
    "CB Dollaway made a bad decision and now he gets a 2nd chance to earn a victory tonight against CB Dollaway" - Mike Goldberg
    Fav MMA: Sudo, Stevenson, Shields, Kid, Werdum, Hendo, Rampage, Gomi, Sakurai, Okami, Penn, Kawajiri, Big Nogs

Fav Boxers: Sam Peter, RJJ, Pacman, Dawson, Frazier, Hatton, Winky Wright, Paul Williams, SSM, Miranda, Cotto, Linares

Quote Originally Posted by baba
    How is Chuck a sellout? lol. As for strikers, how about his ass whoopin of Vitor in his prime? Like he said, he'll fight anyone -- Rampage,Wanderlei -- anyone, and it still won't make it out of the first round. But that still wouldn't shut his critics up -- just force them to call him new names.
    he beat vitor, yeah, 1 striker, thats all you can come up with, just because he said he will fight anyone doesn't mean he would beat them all, imo striker vs striker chuck would lose, if you notice in his recent fights, the position of his hands, keeps them low and wide, hes not worried about being hit, he only fights wrestlers. his boyfriend dana takes care of that.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information