Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sharing your pain

Default Sharing your pain

This might sound like a weird idea, but stick with me!

Today was an awesome training day; I came in injured (my right arm's messed up badly from a concert last friday) and with a lot of bad personal issues but really learned a lot anyways and really got the most of the work-out.

It would've been a perfect day if not for...

(pause for dramatic effect)

The SPAZ KID!

Everyone knows them and everyone's rolled with them. Anyway, long story short, he ended up throwing a front kick, heel first, right into my mouth while going for an "armbar" which fucked up my teeth (will probably have to go to the dentist to fix at least one of them).

Now this might sound like any normal rant but here's where the fun part comes in: I could've prevented all of this by wearing a mouthguard while rolling (something I've never done before).

So here's the deal. We've all made rookie/retard mistakes that could potentially harm us/our partner or lead to an embarassing situation. My mistake today was not wearing a mouthguard which might have saved me from a dentist appointment and saved me the money it will cost.
    I know I'm not the only guy who rolls without a mouthpiece ("What could possibly happen?!") so take it from me guys: I'm NEVER rolling without it again!

So, what lessons have you learned the hard way that you'd like to share?

Favourite Fighters: Fedor, Sakurai, Aoki, Sakuraba, Cotoure, Kang, Big Nog, GSP, Sudo

Quote Originally Posted by Quinton "Rampage" Jackson
    I don’t talk crap about nobody until after I whoop their ass except in some cases if they have bad breath or they ugly as hell.

BJJ Boy Guest

Not one. I never get hurt! Lucky me, some times i get a cut on my face but never anything hard, once my toe was like broken or something but it went away fast.

I dont know, maybe im just lucky?

Quote Originally Posted by BJJ Boy
    Not one. I never get hurt!
    Teach me teh secret move!

Favourite Fighters: Fedor, Sakurai, Aoki, Sakuraba, Cotoure, Kang, Big Nog, GSP, Sudo

I don’t talk crap about nobody until after I whoop their ass except in some cases if they have bad breath or they ugly as hell.

I've done a lot of martial arts through my life, and a lot of the little things I picked up a long time ago. Like always wearing a cup, and always wearing a mouthguard. And getting a custom mouthpiece from your dentist, as opposed to that cheap shit you get at Walmart.

Even little things that don't seem so serious. Like I always wear a rash guard under my gi, and always wear compression shorts. Keep tape and band-aids in my gym bag, ibuprofen for really sore or injured days.

Stuff like that. Over the years you will find small things that make a big difference. Lol, though it's always nicer to learn those lessons without having to lose teeth in the process.

Wibblywobblywonder

14-4 Sig Bets

Quote Originally Posted by Noob
    I've done a lot of martial arts through my life, and a lot of the little things I picked up a long time ago. Like always wearing a cup, and always wearing a mouthguard. And getting a custom mouthpiece from your dentist, as opposed to that cheap shit you get at Walmart.

Even little things that don't seem so serious. Like I always wear a rash guard under my gi, and always wear compression shorts. Keep tape and band-aids in my gym bag, ibuprofen for really sore or injured days.

Stuff like that. Over the years you will find small things that make a big difference. Lol, though it's always nicer to learn those lessons without having to lose teeth in the process.
    Hence why I started this thread This way we can warn each other

I stranied some ligaments in my knee like 2 or 3 months ago (Hurts like a bitch)
    The only place that I know sells mouth guards around here is models lol I guess that I need to buy one of those.
    Also am I the only one that gets home and sees that Ive got fucking scratches on the back of my neck that look like I just finished fighting with a cat?

Quote Originally Posted by ufobydeath
    Hence why I started this thread This way we can warn each other
    Lol, fair enough.

My recommendtions;

-
    • Long-sleeved rash guards. Staph is scary and you don't want it.
    • Rash guard under the gi. Prevents friction burns and scratches from gi chokes. Open skin leads to infections. See above note.
    -

• Motherfucking ibuprofen. Sore? Tired? Hurt? Hangnail? It's better than Robitussin. And it's cheap and comes in small bottles that fit in a gym bag. I buy the huge bottles and keep a smaller one filled for my gym bag. It really does work wonders for small-to-moderate pain and inflammation.
    • Band-aids and tape. If you have open skin, put a band-aid on it, then cover it with tape. Band-aids will come off in practice, tape helps it stay on.
    -

• Disinfectant spray, from Walgreens or something similar. The stuff football players use for large area field burns. Mat burn is very similar, and it's hard to clean large-area burns. Very easy for shit to get in there, and it's not fun. I keep this at home.
    • Mouth guard and cup. If you need this explained, you should not be playing contact sports.

-

• Go to your doctor or dentist, and get a real mouthpiece. Not the boil-and-bite stuff. It's expensive, I know. But even one trip to the dentist for mouth-related injury will be more expensive than a mouthguard. And possible way more expensive.
    • I recommend a steel cup. I know guys that don't like it, but I have been to enough tournaments (for Taekwondo) and seen guy's cups shatter when kicked. The idea of shrapnel in my testicles is all the motivation I need to deal with the slight discomfort of wearing a steel cup. And they last forever.

Wibblywobblywonder

14-4 Sig Bets

Quote Originally Posted by The Sundance Kid
    Good Info Noob.

Where did you get your cup?

I got mine from walmart an it's plastic with a rubber coating, supposed to be shatter proof.

I got mine from Fairtex.

http://www.budovideos.com/shop/custo...roductid=25506

I have a coupon for that site. Works until the 14th or 15th. BudoUnderground. Worth 15% off.

They are more expensive than normal cups, but I have had mine for going on 6 years now, and I have never had a single problem with it. I played Lacrosse for a year, and found out that it's not great to run in, but I don't think that will be much of an issue.

I've been kicked in the nuts, kneed in the nuts, had people fall on my nuts, even taken Lacrosse sticks to the nuts. You name it. Don't even so much as flinch. The worst thing I've had happen is some bruising along the thighs from hard impacts, but even that was mild. And obviously preferable to broken balls.

Wibblywobblywonder

14-4 Sig Bets

So far I haven't brought my mouthpiece to bjj. But after reading this I'm definately bringing my mouthpiece from mma to bjj. Thanks UFO!

I used to mess up my toes a lot at mma. Both of my pinky toes have been broken numerous times. Then I buddy of mine gave me his old pair of wrestling shoes and they have been a godsend for my feet. So if you do mma and don't have a pait or wrestling shoes, I highly reconmend it.
    "The battle is won or lost far away from witnesses--behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights."
    -Ali

I tape my small toe to the next over on both feet before every roll!!..

I completely dislocated mine a couple of months ago...(it was hanging there at the joint held by skin)....it was sick...hoping on one foot to the car it was dangling up and down...lol

Just got it caught in a wrestling mat....and twisted the right way I guess....

And I ALWAYS wear my mouth guard...but not just because it protects my teeth!!!......It restricts your breathing and the amount of oxygen you take in when you train........less oxygen means better conditioning/quicker conditioning in time..... I run with it in, bike, lift, you name it...if I'm exercising its in......

You will feel like a God training without it after you do it for a while...

another thing is..if your wrists are sore...even if just rolling..wrap em to give the extra time needed to heal...itll be worth it in the long run..

compression shorts are a MUST....never will train without em..
    www.fight4christmma.com ministry page crazy low prices on gear! $8 T's!

Thread Information